Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice.......

Default Seeking Advice.......

from anyone who's either written or atleast attempted to write a book. I'd much rather perfer if it's for the perspective of writing fiction. I've wanted to get started on writing a book for a while now but was never quite sure where to start up until now.

I've realized the character I'll need to say what I wanna say and I've got what I think is a pretty solid paragraph done. That may sound kinda funny, "muhfucka you got ONE paragraph hahah" but its taken a LOOOONG time to realize where it should start and I feel like I'll be good from here on out but I'd still welcome any tips that people might have on keeping a solid pacing and keeping at it till the book is actually finished.

Any and all thoughts on the actuall process of writing is welcomed as well as any tips in regards to getting your work published as well.(and not getting screwed in the process)

peace fam

Support the Real. Click HERE

I'm gonna go head and put this first paragraph out there, though this will be the only time I put what I'm working on to the public. It's not that I don't want to share with the people but if this goes as I hope I really wanna try and get the book published and I don't want it leaked like a bootleg ahaha.

In the waning moments of Jake Rosedale’s time here on earth there was no flashing of life before his eyes. No long-ago memories of the pristine wood floors his tiny pattering feet used to mark up on his way to the plantation kitchen. No recollection of any of the baked goodies Edna the house maid always had ready for him whether it be the warm batch of chocolate oatmeal cookies, key-lime pie, or the recently cooled banana bread with butter and honey. He did not see himself peering through the spindles of the stairwell from the second floor onto any of his Senator father’s lavish parties that kept him silently fascinated for many hours past his bedtime. Nor did he recall his own poker-like perception that registered every single nuance his socialite dad used at these parties to charm, entertain and manipulate every single guest he had a purpose for exploiting.
    There it is (that may not even be the full opening paragraph though but it is what I've started with tonight) Does it seems immediately interesting? I want to reach out & grab the readers attention from the get-go. I personally hate when a book takes a 100 pages or more to get going anywhere. all feed back welcome
    Last edited by Visionz; 07-14-2007 at 02:15 AM.

i like it man...im working on a short story about a man who thinks hes Jesus christ...so he goes out and kills people....good luck wit ur shit

just write, dont worry too much about results or if its good, just write and get acquainted with the process and how things flow from your head to the paper.

im aiming to write something in the near future as well... i think that practicing with short stories would help becomin a writer as a whole cuz you aint pressured to complete a 400+ page book.

one thing i find important is that you figure out what the general plot you'd wanna write about... a story that is interesting.... then you fill in the details as you go... just my 2cents duke.. inform me with your progress, that will help me as well. peace.

Quote Originally Posted by tekunique View Post
    im aiming to write something in the near future as well... i think that practicing with short stories would help becomin a writer as a whole cuz you aint pressured to complete a 400+ page book.

one thing i find important is that you figure out what the general plot you'd wanna write about... a story that is interesting.... then you fill in the details as you go... just my 2cents duke.. inform me with your progress, that will help me as well. peace.
    word, yeah I've been wanting to really sit down and write something meaningful for a while. I always had a sense of what it was I wanted to say but just sure of a way that worked for me as far as story telling itself goes.

It's still hard to just let it flow, I find myself constantly going back and revising, editing etc. I like the work it leads to but I'm thinking maybe I should get my basic ideas down first, kinda setup an outline for the story itself and then go back and realy put flesh to the skelton kind uv thing. Its taken me a week to get two paragraphs ahah, shit's funny to me. feel like I should be picking up the pace with it.

Another thing that's important (think your dead-on w/ the plot deal) is really seeing the characters you're writing about. I'm wanna see 'em in my mind as real people, go into details of backgrounds and the little things in their life. I think you gotta have that to make a connection to the character, whether you like 'em or not. But if you don't like 'em you gotta make everybody not like 'em as well, y'know. I think the worse thing would be indifference. Good writing should make you feel something.

I'll keep you posted as it goes homeboy. Its good to discuss the process itself, kinda inspiring to talk about it and really makes me wanna open up the file and get to typing lol.

peace fam

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

My only advice is write about what you know and research extensively what you don't. Otherwise people won't read it they'll be disgusted with it.

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

I recommend you read:

Stephen King - On Writing
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Stephe.../dp/0743455967

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Unseen

the era or time frame you are writing about, use words that reflect/mirror that moment in history
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

the era or time frame you are writing about, use words that reflect/mirror that moment in history
    let me rephrase......if you story takes place in the 1950's, 1960's or a particular time, use words that were common in that time
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

and get your shit self-published. real easy to do my mom did it and got her book on amazon and barnes and noble

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

I've got a crazy idea for a book I am working on...
    And I agree with tekunique's points...it can be quite dawnting...

I know Don Johnson recently wrote a book...
    You should ask him.

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    i like it man...im working on a short story about a man who thinks hes Jesus christ...so he goes out and kills people....good luck wit ur shit
    That sounds nuts ^
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 03-19-2008 at 02:18 PM.

yeah i changed the direction, its a script, and it deals with a teenager who is having a hard time with religion in his life, and a family who is very religious,...all the while...the guy is killing people.

Nice...Reminds me a touch of "American Psycho"
    I think it's a dope idea.