Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is freewill an illusion?

Default Is free will an illusion?

.. As everything effects everything ..
    Last edited by iniquity; 07-14-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: .

Veteran Member

Yeah, I once got stumped trying to defend the idea of free will since everything can be attributed to nature or nurture....still I don't buy that...I think there is a faculty in a human that can choose to overcome all its biology and conditioning.....or is that a built in part of nature :\
    Wisdom is better than rubies and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it

free will vs. determinism is one of the deepest arguements you can have, because many people are so polar on this subject. with the information we have now, theres no way to tell which is right, it all comes down to personal belief. free will contradicts a christian god in theory and determinism contradicts evolution, so the arguement has parallels in religious talk, and that makes it that much more massive.

i personally believe more in free will, partly due to religious beliefs, but also from the available evidence (as i interpret it).

this is some shit i better find out after my physical dies..
    live and learn, dont be a bitch

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

^^WTF are you talking about?

Free Will is real, because I need to take a shit, but i've been holding it for about a half hour now.

freewilly..dope flick....of course the whale is real...what are guys trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy Capalini View Post
    ^^WTF are you talking about?

believing in free will or not... you dont understand me?

i do remember smoking a pretty big blunt before coming on this site so i guess it makes sense that i was going in different directions...ah well
    live and learn, dont be a bitch

Free Will= Freedom of Choice.

Do I stay celebant or do I fuck the shit out of shorty doo wop?

Do I eat meat, veggies, both, or fast?

Do I become a pimp or an atronaut?

Veteran Member

Yeah but whether you fuck the shit out of shorty will depend on your attitudes to sex from you environment and also your in built character (nature).

I don't believe there is no free will....I don't know what I think atm...
    Wisdom is better than rubies and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it

this is a very deep philosophical question.

supposedly even though you may choose to do what you want, this does not mean you have free will.

why? according to philosophers the reason you make your choices is based upon your raising conditions, your parents, figures you looked up to and your environment all influenced who you are today, so you are powerless to make any decision other than the one which your self dictates.

how is this not free will? you did not choose who you are, and who you are dictates what you will choose. there is supposedly a/every situation where when confronted with it for the first time, you can only choose one option.

though you're making a choice, it isn't completely free. this debate i find digs deeper into nature/nurture. it depends if changing who you are is possible, if it is not, then in this sense you do not have free will. why does it take therapy to change a crazy person's mind? because they simply cannot will themselves into sanity, only constant prodding and tampering slowly switches them as far around as possible.

its real but the way this world is can take people away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy Capalini View Post
    Free Will is real, because I need to take a shit, but i've been holding it for about a half hour now.

this is an amszingly simple example of free will... you should take the shit as soon as you feel the need evolutionarily, but your holding it out of free will.

then again maybe your doing something like hunting, where taking the shit now will effect your evolutionary path, so maybe its not free will you holding in the shit?

maybe reality is an illusion?

.. At times I feel like we're programmed this way to keep the colony buzzing ..

.. Like ants ..

but some people do things that are out of line with the colony, ants just do whatever it is they need to for the colony.

or maybe the people who are doing things that we think are not in line with what other people are doing, do them so that other people react in certain ways, which are beneficial to "the colony" in the long run........

and if your concious of the fact that your programmed, then are you really programmed? because if you know about it, then wouldnt you stop it. and wouldnt you then be acting out freewill. but maybe where programmed to be concious of a programming, so that we act in certain ways, which we are programmed to act in.

its all makes perfect sense really

Quote Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
    this is an amszingly simple example of free will... you should take the shit as soon as you feel the need evolutionarily, but your holding it out of free will.

then again maybe your doing something like hunting, where taking the shit now will effect your evolutionary path, so maybe its not free will you holding in the shit?

maybe reality is an illusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
    but some people do things that are out of line with the colony, ants just do whatever it is they need to for the colony.

or maybe the people who are doing things that we think are not in line with what other people are doing, do them so that other people react in certain ways, which are beneficial to "the colony" in the long run........

and if your concious of the fact that your programmed, then are you really programmed? because if you know about it, then wouldnt you stop it. and wouldnt you then be acting out freewill. but maybe where programmed to be concious of a programming, so that we act in certain ways, which we are programmed to act in.

its all makes perfect sense really
    Your not making any sense.