Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wealth

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Default Wealth

Wealth

noun: the quality of profuse abundance
    Example: "She has a wealth of talent"
    noun: property that has economic utility: a monetary value or an exchange value
    noun: an abundance of material possessions and resources
    noun: the state of being rich and affluent; having a plentiful supply of material goods and money

I think we got shit all twisted, myself included.

We define wealth as having alot of bullshit material things.

But in some cultures, wealth isn't defined by "an abundance of material possessions and resources"

In ancient Japan, wealth was defined by how much rice you had.

In native cultures, wealth was defined by how much you could give away.

We need to look at how we define wealth, before we can claim who is impoverished.

Everthying you "own" can be lost in a single moment.

So than what do you really own?

And how does that tie into your definition of wealth?
    Last edited by Slippy The Pimp; 07-23-2007 at 05:41 PM.

'

wealth is defined by how much bottled beer I have in my mini fridge next to me

And when your refridgerator is empty?

What if you can't pay your electric bill, and the beer gets warm? Are you still wealthy?

Veteran Member

I like Robert Kiyosaki's definition of wealth. He defines it as how long you could live without working. Therefore it is a measure of time.

Eg. My wealth right now is like 12 hours lol.

His view is that you need to set up sources of passive income.

I agree money isn't everything. But there is a Jewish saying "it isn't that having money is so good, it's that not having it is so bad."

Also, I think we should be free to work on things we care about in life.

Also, we all rally around hip hop coz we were (mostly) poor. And I doubt many of us here can deny that has left us with our issues.

I would like to obtain wealth without losing the valuable perspectives of poverty.

We should all aim to better ourselves in ALL ways. Including financially. However, keep the priorities right. Don't sell out mentally, spiritually etc for the dollar.

I will be back in this thread, I want to build on wealth creation as it is a big interest of mine...Hope other people in here want to build.

This year I drew up a budget on New Year's Eve. I had about $2500 worth of debt. Despite being a student on welfare that debt should be paid off in about four weeks

We need to be smarter and know the laws of money.
    Wisdom is better than rubies and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it

I define wealth on how much love I can give my family myself. I mean what's the point if you have all this material shit and your miserable? My house is cluttered with junk, but wiffee seems to think it's what she needs to be happy.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

wealth is family to me. My family can enrich my life everyday.

Then we are some of the richest men in the world

Indeed.

You are wealthy if you dont worry about having the things you need. Money certainly ties in more often than not. I have health,dental,and vision insurance. I would factor that in. I have temporary disability at work. I'd factor that in too. I might only make $30,000 dollars a year, but these things make me feel more secure, and "wealthy" I guess there are a lot of ways to view "wealth" I have no children yet, and i'm only close to my sister, and one of my aunts. I hat my father, and my mother has been gone since 2001, so maybe i'm not so "wealthy" in some aspects of life. Hmmmmm........

This thread will make you think, u know?

Wu Vatican

wealth is bullshit. we dont need anything but enough to survive. before all this bullshit we live in now humans just roamed the lands. it was just staying alive. everything else is just made up.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

"But in some cultures, wealth isn't defined by "an abundance of material possessions and resources"

In ancient Japan, wealth was defined by how much rice you had."

rice is material, and it is a possesion and it is a resource.

but aside from that i agree with what your saying... wealth is just a reflection of your culture though.

material possessions and monetary wealth arent enherently bad in my opinion, they just need to be handled with balance.

Veteran Member

I agree with Sean Michael.

I think the whole "wealth is bullshit" and "family is what matters" is a cop out for people too scared, weak, lazy etc.

Don't get me wrong! I definitely put family, my free time, quality of life above money!! But the stupid assumption in the above attitude is that it assumes you can't have both. Infact wealth should, if treated right, increase quality of life, add to the happiness of a good family etc.

Provided the priorities are right things will go well.

Also, how many people that take this defence play the lottery, complain aboutthe cost of living? How many would walk away from a big bag of money or a lotto win?

The misconception here is that wanting money is selfish. Having money is one way you can actually help people, at least relatives and friends....and if you got enough who knows....all I know is I am not overly happy with how the people who have money use it so give me half a chance and I am gonna grab some.

Selfish is not being able to even support yourself, and not meeting responsibilities. Not being able to provide everything your kids need simply coz of your lack of effort. Sitting on your ass all day complaining aboutthe world and never doing anything to change it.
    Wisdom is better than rubies and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it

Veteran Member

BTW the family stuff etc wasn't a shot at you guys in the thread here....I just meant people who use anything like that to totally negate the material world.

Wu Vatican

no doubt. i see what your saying. but i feel like too many people start to get wealth, and just want more and more, and it becomes unhealthy. people start to ignore there kids and work tons of hours, when they already live nice, just to have more money, and they just put there kids on ridiline and shit, but in reality they just want their parents attention.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

^true indeed, its about balancing it all out. You're gonna have to work hard to get somewhere in this life (unless you're born with wealth) but it shouldn't be at the sacrifice for what's most important in life, namely family and good friends.

Support the Real. Click HERE