Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Song is Missing From Liquid Swords?

Veteran Member

I always thought it was kind of a shame that the actual "Hellz Wind Staff" song didn't have GZA on it. After kept hoping througout the second disk that he would show up just one more time on the album.

Banned

Has this mystery been solved? Ringz?
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Old School

Something that has been overlooked throughout this entire "debate" is that you don't need to depend on the cd or the tracklistings pulled from internet databases when there have always been vinyl and cassette versions that feature properly sequenced tracklistings and don't include the missing "Unexplained."

The vinyl and cassette versions - as well as re-pressings and deluxe versions - have always listed "Hell's Wind Staff" as the skit preceding "Killah Hills 10304."

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

I'll relay the question to the great Bob Digi Digi...

btw, I remember reading an article around the time LS came out, and seem to remember that the journalist of the piece was recruited on the spot to play Mr Greco. The journalist described RZA getting into character to the point of pushing him against the wall, 'I think you DO know, mr Greco". Anyone else remember this? Anyone else old as fuck?

geez, i haven't listened to LS in full in years. i'll have to pull it out. when i made my earlier post, 10 years ago, i obviously hadn't read the thread. here are the booklet/covers, for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    yeah uh, i really don't give a fuck what itunes thinks. here's the deal for those of you that dont actually own a copy of liquid swords

In the booklet both Hells Wind Staff and Killah Hills 10304 are listed as being before Investigative Reports. Hells Wind Staff is listed as featuring Killah Priest, Dreddy Kruger, and Masta Killa. Killah Hills 10304 is listed as coming after that song with no extra information. Anyone who has listened to the album can tell that Hells Wind Staff is obvioulsy not on it and that Killah Hills 10304 is the skit after Shadowboxin'. It is not 2 songs in one, Hells Wind Staff ended up being on Wu-Tang Forever.

If anyone needs me to explain Bulletproof Wallets i can do that too.
    wow, i couldn't be gladder this faggit no longer posts here. one of the worst backpackers in wtc history.

anyway, listening to the track again (having not heard it for a while), doesn't the "skit" Hell's Wind Staff correspond with the liner notes (as in, it features MK, RZA and Dreddy providing "additional vocals") and then it follows that the next track is Killah Hills 10304 (not a skit, like this idiot said).

So to say the liner notes are wrong, is wrong, honestly. People are just relying on what was said in the manual, a book i've never and likely never will, read.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    Anyone who has listened to the album can tell that Hells Wind Staff is obvioulsy not on it and that Killah Hills 10304 is the skit after Shadowboxin'.
    haha, right, well GZA seems to disagree:

http://www.waxpoetics.com/features/a...id-swords-gza/

“Hell’s Wind Staff / Killah Hills 10304”

This is another one of my favorites. It’s a very special song as far as the album’s concerned because it’s long as hell and has no hook. It’s up-tempo and is straight through. My cousin Life who did the hook on “Cold World” also did some singing on this too. This song has a lot of depth in terms of sound ’cause we used to layer weird shit over it.

For example, myself and Killah Priest were in the city one day with a portable ADAT recorder I just bought. We were just walking around, going to stores, buying water, juice, whatever, and just recording the random stuff, you know, just picking up sounds and shit. I think we recorded the Hells Angels riding by [us] too. RZA was in a restaurant talking to some guy, and we were banging forks on the tables, and we just recoded all those sounds too [laughs]. So we incorporated all that into the production.

As a song, it’s a street story, but not told in a regular street way. I’m talking about slanging on the block, but not just your average street dealer. These were more sophisticated cats. Some of it came from a documentary I saw on the infamous Pablo Escobar. He was sending judges intimate photos of their wives and things like that. I think this is [probably] my first real Mafioso track. It’s like a dense, short film.

The idea that the track Killah Hills 10304 is a skit, confuses me...
    Last edited by rainbow; 06-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.

why is so difficult for people to understand that Hell's Wind Staff a.k.a Hell's Angels featuring KP and Dreddy Kruger in the background is a restaurant Skit on the on the Liquid Swords album which contains an interpolation of "Lost in Love" by New Edition, and Swordsman (Unexplained) is just one song. BTW that RZA verse on Hellz Wind Staff '97 from the Forever album does not sound how RZA use to sound in 95 so that verse was probably added afterwards.

Close Thread____________________________________________ _______
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Last edited by mAlAkAz; 06-24-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phadde96 View Post
    btw, I remember reading an article around the time LS came out, and seem to remember that the journalist of the piece was recruited on the spot to play Mr Greco. The journalist described RZA getting into character to the point of pushing him against the wall, 'I think you DO know, mr Greco". Anyone else remember this? Anyone else old as fuck?
    Yes I remember this, must have been the Source.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Banned

Why was BIBLE omitted from the vinyl version?
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by mAlAkAz View Post
    why is so difficult for people to understand that Hell's Wind Staff is a Skit on the on the Liquid Swords album which contains an interpolation of "Lost in Love" by New Edition, and Swordsman (Unexplained) is just one song.

Close Thread____________________________________________ _______
    because of this (which as i said, i can't verify):

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    No its not, Hellz Wind Staff aint on Liquid Swords.

Read the Wu Manual, RZA says that its listed as being on Liquis Swords but the track didnt actually materialise til Wu-Tang Forever.
    Cheers!
    read the thread, dunce.

^^ Ummmm, check the date I posted that reply... 2007. Almost ten years ago.

And... I still don't believe that the skit is called Hells Wind Staff. There's no mention of Hells Wind Staff in the skit, no reference to the movie, nothing.

I take RZA's word in the Wu Manual over yours steve.

Each to his own though. In the grand scheme of things it's fairly insignificant.

Peace.

what are you talking about bro? i'm saying, i believe your post, and that's why there is still contention about it.

as i said before, i've never read the manual and probably never will. i'm not contesting what you said at all.

i was telling the guy who was saying it was a skit and to close the thread, that he should read your post.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    And... I still don't believe that the skit is called Hells Wind Staff. There's no mention of Hells Wind Staff in the skit, no reference to the movie, nothing.

Peace.
    Agreed, the skit doesn't really adapt any scene or even a combination of scenes from the movie. I think the original intention for the skit was to lead into a different song (Hells Wind Staff), that was not completed, as RZA has referenced, and instead they used it to lead into Killah Hills 10304 as it can easily fit into the "life of a drug dealer," but the skit retained the name.
    Last edited by logitrax; 06-24-2016 at 11:37 AM.

PRODIGAL SUN

To me, unexplained was the god track since the entire song references unexplained things. And swordsman is the intro since it references how his father is a famous shogun. BUT the intro also leaves on "that was the night everything changed" as we dont really know why the head shogan tried to kill "the most famous swordsman in the empire". I also see swordaman referenced as track 11 and unexplained as the intro but i believe it was supposed to be the otherway. Nothing of track 11 leada me to believe it was sposed to be swordsman.

I just read some of this thread and a lot of you people are total dickheads.

For the record liquid swords is one of my all thyme top 3 hip hop albums and I couldn't give a flying fuck whether the hells wind staff listed on it refers to the killah hills 10304 skit or the song on forever.

I would have some interest in whether a track titled unexplained did exist and still does exist somewhere though.