View Poll Results: How do you rate 'Breaking atoms'?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Classic

12 75.00%

2 12.50%

2 12.50%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 5 - Average

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Whack

0 0%

Thread: Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Default Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Main Source - Breaking Atoms

1. Snake Eyes
    2. Just Hangin Out
    3. Looking At The Front Door
    4. Large Professor
    5. Just A Friendly Game Of Baseball
    6. Scratch & Kut
    7. Peace Is Not The Word To Play
    8. Vamos A Rapiar
    9. He Got So Much Soul (He Don't Need No Music)
    10. Live At The Barbeque
    11. Watch Roger Do His Thing
    12. Just A Friendly Game Of Baseball (Bonus Version)

Okay, this is a straight up classic. Released back in 1991, this album has kind of been forgotten about, and is actually kind of hard to get hold of because apparantly wild pitch records went bust.
    Anyways, from the first few seconds of 'Snake Eyes', when the dusty samples start, and the bass and piano loop kicks in your on to one of the best opening tracks in hip-hop history. From this track all the way through to 'Just a Friendly Game of Baseball Remix', there is no lessening in the sheer quality of this album. Although its listed members are Large Professer, Sir Scratch & K-Cut, duties are listed as: all tracks produced by Large Professer & lyrics by large Professer. Sir Scratch & K-Cut are listed for turntables, and athough get their chance in the spotlight on 'Scratch & Kut', this really is the Large Professers album. He has always seemed to be thought of behind the likes of Premo & Pete Rock as one of the greatest producers of the early 90s, but judgein by this he is on par with them. The beats dont sound a bit dated with 'Snake Eyes', 'Live at the Barbeque' and 'Large Professer' soundin as fresh today as when they first graced the hip-hop world in 1991.
    It is not only the boards here Large P shines though, he is ILL on the mic. He doesnt spit anything gorundbreaking or revolotionary, but his MC skills are an equal match to his production talent. 'Just a Friendly Game of Baseball' is a perfect example of this, where he uses baseball as a metaphor for police brutality. Like i said, nothing too complex or mind-numbing about his lyrics- just straight up dopeness.
    Of course this album contains 'Live at the Barbeque' feat. Akinyele, Fatal & of course the debut rap on wax for Nasty Nas. As is expected Nas's verse is ill as fuck, but even this track, 1 of my fav posse cuts ever, doesnt hold the torch as the best song here. It is embedded in an album of classics, all in their own right.

If you thought Large Professer was a poor mans Premo or Pete Rock look no further than this. Of course he went on to contribute timeless classic beats to Illmatic, but in my opinion, this is where he shown most.

From beginning to end, straight up hip-hop dopeness.

10/10
    Last edited by Durag; 08-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.

voted 8, more a 8.5 deff, beats are great, lyrically good, not perfect album in my opinion, still great

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    no arguments here
    agreed
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

just got an original first pressing of this CD today and bumping it now. i think i listened to a download of it some years ago but i'm not big on bumping the shit i download but this definitely is some real good shit... great dusty samples and breaks and a smooth flow from the Professor and the debuts of Nas and Akinyele, sounds real nice i must say. can't really rate it yet but i will definitely re-visit this thread to state my opinion.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

YOUR KING OF WUTANGCORP. Tony Bandana's Avatar

wow i thought this was a no brainier 10/10?

my books it is
    ONGH!!!! SHIT STINK BIG GATORZ , MY DETROIT PLAYAZ ONGH!!!

My personal favorite album of all time.

-

I've never heard this album but I love Live At The Barbecue song with Nas and Akinyele. Who's the guy that raps after Nas? I know Akinyele rapped 3rd and Large Professor rapped last. I'm surprised this video isn't on Youtube because I would like to see it. I also like Just A Friendly Game Of Baseball song but I like the version on Boyz N The Hood soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

^ Dude after Nas is Red Hot Lover Tone aka Tone from Poke & Tone that produced a lot of Nas and Firm stuff.

My bad, that was the sequelish song 'Back To The Grill'. This one had Joe Fatal?

^ yep Joe Fatal who used to be Tragedy Khadafi's DJ back when he was Intelligent Hoodlum

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

love this album, still sounds fresh today, loads of classics on it.