View Poll Results: What do you think of Perserverance???

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Instant Classic

3 75.00%
  • Great

1 25.00%
  • Average

0 0%
  • Wack as fuck, cuz T-Pain isn't on it (anyone that picks this option loses their hip hop pass.)

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Percee P - Perserverance

^^thanks a lot...
    Shaolin shadowboxin' and the wu-tang swordstyle...
    If what you say is true...
    The shaolin and the wu-tang could be dangerous!
    En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...

I like this shit. This one of very, very few albums by a non-established artist that I have downloaded in the last few years and actually wanted to listen to again after the first spin. To be quite honest I think it might be the only one. Anyway, good shit. I love me some Madlib and I'm fucken lovin' this dude's flow. I'm gonna buy this shit whenever I'm next at a music shop.

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

^^ Guess it depends on your definition of established. He has been well known in the industry for around 20 years.

But yeah, great album. I recommend you download the alternate version of Put It On The Line I upped as well. Nice to hear you're gonna buy it as well, as he's getting on a bit and has only managed to get this one out so far, so isn't exactly rolling in money. I got the double vinyl. Madlib beats sound lovely off vinyl.
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 10-22-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Charles Jones fan

yea, man, dude's got mad respect and is established in any way you could possiblt think of (except comercially) in the rap world.
    when peeps who know their shit meet Percy P in a club or something, they all like "woooooo, man, Percy P!!" ... they lovin him
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    You jealous because i'm not nice to hoes like you are?
    Don't be complaining to me when your bitch plays your ass and takes your money.

wuswordz95

Quote Originally Posted by eight-bizza-gee View Post
    that's actually the wrong title for that track on his myspace, unless he changed it to the correct track.

videos for two tracks off the album

Put it on the Line

Throwback Rap Attack

hey yer song is nice and the beat is sick

By "established" I basically meant groups and artists who have been around for a while and released a reasonable amount of music. This is this dude's first album, group or solo, regardless of how long he's been around. I'd only ever heard one of his verses prior to this release, and that was on the Jaylib album.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

this shit is a classic, number one this year maybe even (only heard it this week...everybody should at least download a few tracks to c this shit)

damn, I also love Madlib
    bring back begongo!!

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    By "established" I basically meant groups and artists who have been around for a while and released a reasonable amount of music. This is this dude's first album, group or solo, regardless of how long he's been around. I'd only ever heard one of his verses prior to this release, and that was on the Jaylib album.
    You should definately get hold of Legendary Status then:

http://www.discogs.com/release/440024

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

borrowed this album from one of my peeps after hearing two or 3 joints in his whip and loving them.. lyrically percee Detroys this album(dudes flow is amazing) but i have to agree with whoever said the beats were meh. madlib has some bangers( i LOVE 2 brothas from the gutter with the contra sample. up up down down left right left right B A B A START) but doesnt hold his weight over the course of the whole album.

i only listened to it once though so my opinion may change after i give it more spins. not gonna vote yet.
    Last edited by THE W; 10-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Charles Jones fan

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
    You should definately get hold of Legendary Status then:

http://www.discogs.com/release/440024
    the old shit during the Top Priority times and the feats on Finesse' albums are crazy... the shit with Pharoahe,..... the J5 shit, again one of the greatest 16 bars of all time...

splatter-ya-brains
    leave-scattered-remains-of matter-and-stains
    that'll-explain how you was battled-and-slain

Charles Jones fan

check this increddibly ill Madlib remix of "No Time For Jokes"
    (1st track) http://myspace.com/stonesthrow

This album is one of my favourites of 2007

I did a review for it in a magazine a while back

Percee P
    Perseverance
    Stones Throw

Bronx, New York rap legend Percee P, lives up to the saying “better late than never” as Perseverance; is incredibly his first ever real album.

Aside from his many credentials as a dedicated artist since 1988, Percee has been on the grind for just as long, he has an infamous reputation for standing outside Fat Beats record stores and meeting fans (including many M.C'.s and producers he has worked with) while selling his CD's made up of his freestyles, battles, appearances and singles including 1992's 'Lung Collapsing Lyrics' which was supposed to be the first single off a debut album that sadly never eventuated.

In 2003 he was finally signed to Stones Throw records, which resulted in appearances on tracks on various compilations and artists albums.

Perseverance is a great body of work and all of the the production is some of Madlib's finest work in years, whether using an old Arcade game theme as as sample on '2 Brothers From The Gutter' with another Bronx legend, Diamond D or hard crashing drums on 'Legendary Lyricist' or the electronic and well suited beats for 'The Dirt and The Filth' with Aesop Rock, it all works well and shows Madlib range as a very diverse producer.

Percee rhymes with a unique style, that isn't a lot different to how he has always rhymed and sometimes he can get a little monotone, that is why it's good that all of the other guest appearances, Charlie 2NA ('No Time For Jokes'), Prince Po ('Last Of The Greats') and Guilty Simpson on 'Watch Yo Step' are great and balance the album out.

Perseverance ends on a very smooth note with 'The Lady Behind Me', a beautiful ode to Hip Hop and how she has been there for him for so many,many years and no doubt many more.

wuswordz95

best album of 2007.

Charles Jones fan

lyrically, yes.
    but I expected a little more musically... Madlib got tons of beats better than these, who the fuck picked them? anyway, has anyone seen Percee P live? he's touring with Common and Q tip, I think...

I too thought the production was lacking a little considering what Madlib is capable of. Still good though.

He's doing a show over in my neck of the woods on the 9th of January. I do believe I will be attending.