31. You may not vote on this poll

18 58.06%

11 35.48%

2 6.45%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AZ - Doe Or Die

I think classic although theres a couple of tracks on the albums second half that aren't amazing in terms of production. AZ is really a talented lyricist, its great how he has subtle meanings to his lyrics beyond just the standard NY 'hustle' talk. Also the Pete Rock contributions are 2 of the best productions in his entire resume, which is really saying something.

brilliant album. its something you can really chill to and throw on. mo money, mo murder mo homicide is a fucking ill track and nas in his prime just sets it off. 4.5/5

Classic album following up "Illmatic" although not really as nice, it has a very smooth vibe throughout which really suits AZ perfectly. Full of classics like "Rather Unique", "Mo Money, Mo Murder", "I Feel For You" and "Gimme Yourz" - the only track I'm not really feeling that much are "Sugar Hill".

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

one of the closest albums to almost get to illmtic status. its not as good, but its fuckin close.

Gimme Yours is a masterpiece, dope album personal fav of mine. 9.5/10

Veteran Member

One of my favourite albums ever, only ttack I don't like is the Sugar Hill remix, because it doesn't compare to the original or it's feel...

Rather Unique is rather amazing.

Those impressed by Life's A Bitch really ought to listen to this, it excels in spite of those spectacularly high expectations.

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Okay, I'ma write in my big ass review in 'bout eight hours, but before that I just need to know who was featured on "We Can't Win"... that was some two rappers, right?
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Veteran Member

We Can't Win ft.Amar.

I'm pretty sure it's only 1 guy.

Okay, listen to the track.

There is this guy who does the intro and that I'm quite sure that does chorus and second verse too.

Then there is that deep-voiced rapper who does first verse.

Then AZ, who only does third verse.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Been really helpful, thanks.

TRACK-BY-TRACK REVIEW

01. Intro (co-produced by AZ & Lunatic Mind)
    One of the better intros I heard. Completely fits in album's artwork - that shit really sounds like a mafioso's funeral where deals are concluded under voices... And over all highly metaphorical dark AZ's speech. Excellent.
    5/5

02. Uncut Raw (produced by Loose)
    Probably no one will agree with me, but this is best song on the album. AZ spits hard mafia-inspired shit over infinitely dark Loose's beat. One of the best grimy street narratives ever spit - everything is here: ghetto riches, drugs, corrupt cops, out-of-town connects... All in that gritty nightmare that just sucks you in, that just makes you feel you walk those ruined project streets, that slightly disgusting surreality. To give this song a 5/5 would be unfair, it deserves more. Amazing song.
    5/5

03. Gimme Your's (produced by Pete Rock)
    Pete Rock on top of his game was not the one to fuck with beat-wise. Beat is totally dissonant - just like Nas's singing in chorus - and still with mellow and warm, relaxed vibe. AZ's two verses are like the continuation of his "Life's a Bitch" verse, on par with that one... and you know what does that mean.
    5/5

04. Ho Happy Jackie (produced by Buckwild)
    Exact same subject matter as on more known Nas's "Black Girl Lost", just pulled off much better. Presented is Jackie, drugged-out, money-hungry wannabe high-class hooker, who gets (ab)used by all high rollers on the block, and even the storyteller doesn't refrain. AZ masterfully balances on the thin line between being repulsed by her and feeling sympathy. Buckwild's smooth beat didn't hurt neither.
    5/5

05. Rather Unique (produced by Pete Rock)
    One of the best AZ's mic shows in his entire career. Joining another gritty block life narrative with old-school braggadoccio, over smooth Pete Rock beat with masterfully scratched sample as a chorus - Premier wouldn't be ashamed of that.
    5/5

06. I Feel for You (produced by Amar, co-produced by AZ)
    Yet another brilliant violent track by AZ from the perspective of a boss. Whole song is somewhat of a final speech in front of the gangster who fucked up, got cornered and is just before to get his final shot in the dome.
    5/5

07. Sugar Hill (produced by L.E.S.)
    Hustle is over; made man now wants to chill and celebrate that he made it. That subject matter got atrociously overplayed in next couple of years, but on that song it's still fresh and convincing. The problem is beat, though: although the smooth Trackmasters-like prod is completely appropriate (but not among L.E.S. best work), it doesn't fit into the vibe of the album and breaks its cohesion.
    4.25/5

08. Mo Money Mo Murder "Homicide" (featuring Nas, produced by DR Period)
    The ultimate Nas-AZ collabo and inaugural meeting of The Firm. Endless chemistry between the two rappers discussing mafioso shit - getting money, organizing out-of-state business, and even regrets sneaked in - over the best beat DR Period ever did. Do I need to say anything more?
    5/5

08b. Born Alone, Die Alone (co-produced by AZ & Lunatic Mind)
    The hidden gem of the album: in barely a minute, AZ made a dark, hopeless reflection of an old-gangster's life. It's just a short, but incredibly intense trip through it, filled with regrets, sadness and despair.
    5/5

09. Doe or Die (produced by N.O. Joe)
    After first hearing RZA's remix with Raekwon, the album version came as a big disappointment. AZ's lyrics are completely different than on the remix - dope still, one of better songs dealing with these mean streets and what a man gotta do - but N.O. Joe's G-Funk, no matter how good it is (I already said that Joe is my favorite Southern producer) simply doesn't fit in.
    4/5

10. We Can't Win (featuring Amar & ???, produced by Amar, co-produced by AZ)
    Lyrically, song is out of vibe of the album and still so fucking dope. Three rappers (two of them I didn't identify) made an excellent collaboration over the problem of conspiracy keeping the black people down: excellent use of metaphorics made it for one of the best songs dealing with that subject. And the beat is just excellent - dark piano loop is a sure shot, and the creepy choir sample in the chorus works just right. I was thinking a lot if I should punish the song for not being lyrically as another, but fuck it - I can't force myself to do that to one of best tracks on the album
    5/5

11. Your World Don't Stop (produced by Ski)
    All stories end in jail. But, unlike overt storytelling like Jay did on "Fallin'", on this song AZ just painted a painful, vivid, ugly picture of world behind bars, where rules of outside don't work, and where the incarcerated Scarface is left to deal with his own demons, impatiently waiting for the day to release. Excellent song, but the beat is not best Ski's show.
    4.25/5

12. Sugar Hill (Remix) (remixed by L.E.S.)
    Would fit better in the album than the original.
    4.5/5

TOTAL: 4.75/5 a.k.a. 9.5/10

FINAL IMPRESSION

If any album came close to being the parallel to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, it's Doe or Die. And it's unavoidable that OB4CL comes as a comparison to Doe or Die - released in two months period, both album came as a definition of mafioso rap and as the blueprint for, basically, all the East Coast rap to follow until DMX's breakthrough.

What made OB4CL such a great album was its ability to lead you into the shady world of project dealers, foreign connect and gun-toting thugs. Although there's been a myriad of similarly themed rap albums between 1995 and 1998, only Doe or Die (and Reasonable Doubt, who did it in different fashion) managed to pull a listener into that world as successfully. From the dramatic intro, through chaotical and blisteringly realistic opening track, through all phases of the gangster's life pictured in tracks, until the final downfall - everything is in here, making the much bigger, but at the same time sketchier picture of the American Gangster.

And that is the problem. AZ is such an excellent, convincible painter of the ghetto reality that eleven tracks simply aren't enough. Where Raekwon and Ghostface managed to take an excerpt from a life and create the whole soundtrack to it, AZ left us with a book of sketches from particular scenes, leaving the listener starving for more. Of course it's good that AZ didn't get self-indulgent, but he simply wasn't ambitious enough on this album.

Another thing that prevents the album from being one of the definite moments of the culture it's its lack of musical cohesion. Where OB4CL benefitted from the incredibly creative, but at the same time untied artistic mind of RZA, AZ's album employs the hottest producers available at the moment - Pete Rock, DR Period, L.E.S., Ski, N.O. Joe - and each one of them brought their distinctive flavor. And it simply can't work perfectly on album that short - from dark gritty boom-bap to smooth production reminding of "Mr. Smith" to Southern laid-back G-Funk in twelve tracks? It sounds too good to be true, and, unfortunately, it is too good to be true.

But, despite all its flaws, it's hard not to admire AZ's mic skills, his superior technique, smooth delivery and brilliant mind. That's why, although it by an inch missed being one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever, remains AZ's definite artistic statement and one of the finest albums of mid-90's East Coast Renaissance.
    Last edited by Edgar Erebus; 08-08-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    Okay, listen to the track.

There is this guy who does the intro and that I'm quite sure that does chorus and second verse too.

Then there is that deep-voiced rapper who does first verse.

Then AZ, who only does third verse.
    Hmm...I always thought that the second verse was AZ, because he has AZ's flow, but now that I listen to it again, that guy's voice does seem definitely higher...

Still, it's probably AZ.

wasnt the unkown rapper on we can't win, i read somewher that it was pete rock but he was uncreditted, im not sure though, i always used to think that's how pete rock would sound before i heard the pete rock and cl smooth albums, i still think its him, that was a dope ass verse too

Yeah, the first verse could be P. Roc's, it sounds quite like him. If that's the case, Pete dropped the fucking best verse of his career there.

-

I'm sorry ya'll but i wasn't feeling Doe Or Die. Sugar Hill, Mo Money Mo Murder, Doe Or Die, Rather Unique are the only songs on there i liked. Gimme Yours remix produced by Erick Sermon is better than the album version.

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

dope album..aziatic is my personal fave for some reason.

8/10-doe or die

but az never disappoints