Thread: ever watch Hardwood Classic throwback games on NBATV?

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

Default ever watch Hardwood Classic throwback games on NBATV?

i try to catch as much of these as i can...yesterday i watched game 2 of the 1986 first round matchup between the bulls and the celtics. that was that classic game when jordan went into the garden and dropped 63 in a double OT thriller; chicago still ended up losing that game 135-131, and eventually the series, but it was one hell of a game. that was my first time seeing a jordan game from the 80s. he still had hair and was just coming off a broken foot injury that had sidelined him for the duration of the '85 season. at that point, he had his whole illustrious career in front of him, just a young phenom still trying to make a name for himself. he was brilliant...but noticably raw compared to the prolific, weathered jordan of the 90's. not to mention larry bird...he didnt score any in the 1st quarter of that game, and ended up with like 36. he got real hot in the third quarter...he was hitting everything. electrifying game...any of yall ever catch any of these games?
    "all your San Franciscos will eventually fall and burn again..." -Jack Kerouac-

Veteran Member

Default Re: ever watch Hardwood Classic throwback games on NBATV?

i caught a few minutes of it, then went outside and forgot all about it bein on. if i wouldnt known it was his 63 pt game i probly woulda at least taped it...shit. if its a game with players that were real good but i never got a chance to see them i try and watch. some of the black and white games arent too bad, u can really see how the athletes evolved over time.

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

damn, i should've taped it...never thought about that until i just saw your post. when i saw it on the tv listings, i knew it was probably that game...its legendary. afterwards, bird said "...that was God disguised as Michael Jordan!". dennis johnson did the best job on jordan that game...one time he blocked MJ straight up on a fadeaway! another time he stripped him from the top of the key...odd considering that is considered to be one of the greatest individual perfomances ever. still, jordan ran shit and found ways to score. he was only 23 then...
    i forget the other games that i've seen...i saw another MJ game, i think it was either '92, or '93, in the eastern conference final against the knicks at madison square garden. scottie pippen had a pretty game back then...his game was like Common's flow; just smooth and graceful.
    id like to see a magic johnson game on there...

Veteran Member

they showed that laker championship game where magic started at center his rookie year a couple weeks ago

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

just caught another jordan game from the 80's...this one was in '87, against the nets in the regular season. a hair-adorned, gangly, amazingly athletic MJ went for 58 points with 24 free throws made, at one point making 19 in a row, tied for an NBA record. frequently gambling on defense without any inhibition, jordan ignited several breakaways, usually ending in either a pinpoint pass, an impossibly acrobatic layup, or a gravity-defying slam. he also hit on several mid-range jump shots, usually with four hands in his face. he probably could've hit 65 by the end of the game, but Collins pulled him with 3 minutes left in a game that the bulls led by 20, a coaching move not popular with the indefatigably audible chicago crowd.
    great game...

Shogun Assassin Liquidswordsman's Avatar

I tivo that shit like crazy. There is something about vintage sporting events that i like more than new events. The annoucers are easier to handle and the games just look better--- i know that sounds crazy, but i love sports and i always am reading about old NFL and NBA--when the $ didnt rule the game!!!!!!!!!!!
    'A spade in the club with the heart to wear diamonds' GZA
    'Wizard of Clarks; Tony Oz' Ghostface

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wooly Noggins
    usa was built on terrorism

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

yeah, the atmospheres are awesome.

i saw yet ANOTHER jordan game couple of days ago...1992, game 3 1st round against the Heat. mj goes for 56 in a masterful display of skill, showing off a vast array of moves: mid-range jumpers, pull-back fadeaways, crossovers and a behind the back maneauver, and of course the eye-popping, double-take-inducing aerodynamics. MJ truly was the greatest player of all time...just the way he could dominate a game, any facet of it; shooting, passing, defense, ballhandling...its beautiful to see a guy at the top of his profession.

yeah its fun to watch the old classic games. The only thing that pisses me off is when they put a game from the 60s or 70s on and you can barely see anything. The picture is so bad its almost not worth my time to watch