• 2: Boring

0 0%
  • 1: Wackadoccious

1 50.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay-Z - American Gangster

Oztradamus

It's a neo-classic

Every joint is soulful and lovely.. This album should encourage other MC's to make concept albums and better music It's a win-win for Hip-Hop

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
    Im amazed by how many people gave this album such high scores, the album varied from shit to mediocre at best. I must of liked maybe three joints at most, the rest were shit. And what the fuck happened to his lyrics, I found them to be substandard. I will admit to not being the biggest Jay Z fan but I never had a problem with his lyrics, he fell off big time on this.
    disagree, we can fight all day we'll like or not and be divided on this but honestly jay-z isn't that deep of a cat anyway nas' catolog will always shit on him just like nas did on "success" c'mon jay did nothing with the track and nas roasted him again proving who's the better rapper (jay-z) vs. emcee (nas)

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS View Post
    disagree, we can fight all day we'll like or not and be divided on this but honestly jay-z isn't that deep of a cat anyway nas' catolog will always shit on him just like nas did on "success" c'mon jay did nothing with the track and nas roasted him again proving who's the better rapper (jay-z) vs. emcee (nas)
    nas didn't prove anything with success. that was a close battle and nas didn't say anything of substance either, they both had their share of nice lines...black republican would prove your point better. stop debating who's better, and enjoy both because they both should be in anyone's top 10. personally, i have all of their albums, and though i agree nas's catalog is the best, jay's catalog is better than almost anyone else.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
    Im amazed by how many people gave this album such high scores, the album varied from shit to mediocre at best. I must of liked maybe three joints at most, the rest were shit. And what the fuck happened to his lyrics, I found them to be substandard. I will admit to not being the biggest Jay Z fan but I never had a problem with his lyrics, he fell off big time on this.
    no, he fell of big time with Kingdom Come and came back with this. Listen to No Hook again, Ignorant Shit (although it's from 2003), third verse on Say Hello, Success and Fallin, American Dreamin...his lyrics are extremely good, though not Reasonable Doubt-like, he's still one of the best in the game now.

^^I haven't heard Kingdom Come, I didn't bother after all the negative shit I heard. American Gangster just did nothing for me though, I didn't like the production and lyrically sounded poor to me. I've heard Jay spit fire in the past and im not just talking Reasonable Doubt either, he is a very capable mc but this was a big let down.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

I either see this album getting overrated (rapreviews;10/10??) or underrated. I liked the album, but I don't see it a classic or becoming one over the years.

Top 3: Ignorant Shit, Say Hello, Fallin'

Overall Grade: (4.3/5) A-

6th listen 8.5/10 straight up banger

i like it, its really growin on me. like the soulfulness. i think its good jay put out a concept album. id like to see more of this in hip-hop.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post

Pray - 7/10
    American Dreamin' - 9/10
    Hello Brooklyn 2.0 - 3/10
    No Hooks - 9/10
    Roc Boys - 9/10
    Sweet - 9/10
    I Know - 6/10
    Party Life - 10/10
    Ignorant Shit - 9/10
    Say Hello - 10/10
    Success - 10/10
    Falling - 10/10
    Blue Magic - 7/10
    American Gangster - 9/10

Overall - 8.7/10 (really good album, especially the last half is incredible)
    So who's still bumping this album in here??
    I'm listening to it right now and it's the first time in a couple of months but I gotta say this still holds as a really good album. Lyrically it's very on point and the soulfulness of the beat is right on the spot for the most part. He should have got rid of "Hello Brooklyn" and "I Know" cuz they really don't feel the vibe of the LP well but other than that shit flows nice.

And considering they came out around the same time, had one of the same executive producers and the same producers (LV & Sean C) for the majority of the beats I gotta say this is still better than "Big Doe Rehab".

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I'm listening to it right now and it's the first time in a couple of months but I gotta say this still holds as a really good album. Lyrically it's very on point and the soulfulness of the beat is right on the spot for the most part. He should have got rid of "Hello Brooklyn" and "I Know" cuz they really don't feel the vibe of the LP well but other than that shit flows nice.

And considering they came out around the same time, had one of the same executive producers and the same producers (LV & Sean C) for the majority of the beats I gotta say this is still better than "Big Doe Rehab".

i can tell this is gonna be another black album for me, meaning i can pull it out for years to come and still bump it straight through (barring hello brooklyn). honestly "i know" is one of my favorite joints, but i've also never denied loving bitch tracks (t-pain & fab...put my number in your phone....fucking hot track) but this still holds up as a solid album

bumped it sometime before 808s & Heartbreak dropped and felt it still, shit is hot
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

this was good album i think "Hello Brooklyn" shouldn't had wanye and maybe a sample from the beasties but todays generation of hip hop fans speaking mainly to those that watch BET all the time don't know shit but this album was allot better than Jay-Z's Kingdom Come so yeah

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I agree except for the "I Know" part and The "Big Doe Rehab" Part.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    now THAT was a dope version.. peace

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

^^ Check out the whole 9th wonder remix album....American Wonder. Good shit!! I also like the Nigerian Gangster remix album. Both are better than the original version.