Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Diagrams Review (hiphopsite)

Default 8 Diagrams Review (hiphopsite)

12/20/2007 08:06 - - Wu-Tang Clan - "The 8 Diagrams" - @@@@

The prospect of a new Wu-Tang album in 2007 doesn’t seem very exciting. Hip-Hop has changed so drastically over the years, and after a pair of disappointing, back-to-back releases (Iron Flag & The W), the Wu-Tang Clan have struggled to remain relevant in the constantly changing climate of hip-hop music. It’s safe to say that at this point, the only member of the Clan that makes albums still worth checking for is Ghostface Killah (and maybe Masta Killa). Ghost has carved his own niche and sound out with yearly Def Jam (and formerly Sony Music) releases, while the others have begun to fade into oblivion. It’s not to say that the other members have lost their talent, but let’s face it, none of these guys are still dropping classic albums like they did in the pre-Wu-Tang Forever era.

With The 8 Diagrams, the Wu-Tang Clan reunites once again, with an old friend protecting their necks, Steve Rifkind. Rifkind, who discovered them and signed them to Loud Records some fifteen years ago, has scooped them up again, signing them to a one-album deal on his SRC Records imprint. So while the Clan is back in good hands, they are finally allowed to return to their roots and make the music how they want it.

That’s the main difference between this, and virtually anything the crew has released in the last few years. RZA takes full reigns on production here, not even rationing out tracks to guys like 4th Disciple or Mathematics (the latter who only co-produces one track). The sound of The 8 Diagrams is traditional Wu-Tang – it’s unusual, unsettling, and perhaps the crew’s darkest album yet.

But the darkness of The 8 Diagrams is what makes it different – and good. We’ve heard these guys do the same thing over and over again, which is why we weren’t that excited about this release in the first place. We’ve also heard them attempt to make club playable songs, for better (“Chez Chez La Ghost”) or for worse (“Party and Bullshit”). But there is none of that here. Instead, this time these guys have faced reality. Ol’ Dirty is gone, their star is waning, and the music industry is falling apart. Shit is not all good, and they aren’t trying to fake like it is. Instead, they just do Wu.

The album opens with “Campfire”, which finds a master and student explaining the virtues on how to be a “good man”, using their best “American” accents (read: John Wayne). Method Man opens the song, sounding very much at home on raw RZA production (the antithesis of Rockwilder & Erick Sermon), and Ghost and Cappa join in the fray, backed a Staten Island barbershop quartet, who provide a hum-drum bassline. The dark sounds of the album continue on “Get Them Out Ya Way Pa”, another bass-heavy backdrop, meshed with ominous drum patterns, as Meth, U-God, and Masta Killa trade verses, with hook shared by Ghost and Raekwon. Perhaps the album’s best moment is the melancholy, almost trip-hop styled, “Gun Will Go”, as Rae, Meth, and Masta Killa vividly describe the slums of Staten, as crooner Sunny Valentine pours his heart and soul into the hook.

It’s this style of what RZA once referred to as “blunted soul” that helps sew the record together, as he taps several other funk, soul, and doo-wop vocalists for other places on the record. The Manhattans’ Gerald Alston appears on “Stick Me For My Riches”, who sounds natural over a RZA beat, singing about the hardships of growing up in the ghetto, backed by Meth, RZA, GZA, and Deck, each whom share his sentiments. George Clinton provides the hook for “Wolves”, one of album’s few more up-tempo tracks. While Clinton’s nonsensical contribution is strangely written and delivered, RZA, in his brilliance, makes it work, with spaghetti western samples, plus rhymes from Method Man, U-God, and Masta Killa.

This isn’t the only case of the group getting more abrasive with their approach, despite the album’s overall midnight tone. “Rushing Elephants” kicks things up a notch with RZA’s unique sample structure, while the grimy “Unpredictable” is a classically styled Wu-Tang beat down. “Starter” again taps Sunny Valentine for the hook, as the Clan members each wax poetically about their “number one gangster chick”, over another strange arrangement of samples from RZA, that slowly meshes itself together.

The album doesn’t really have much in the way of error. “Take It Back” is a decent filler track that uses the never-tired Bob James “Nautilus” sample, but we’ve heard them (and tons of other rappers) do this before on “Daytona 500”. The only real disappointment here is “The Heart Gently Weeps”. Sure, this is the easiest thing for the average person to grab onto – a remake of The Beatles “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, but it has issues. It’s one thing for Erykah Badu to re-sing classic Fab Four vocals, but for Ghostface to come in and bastardize them with off-key lyrics like “that bitch is craazeeeyyy” totally disrespects the original source material. Furthermore, while the rest of the album does it’s best to present new sounds and styles to the listener, both “The Heart Gently Weeps” and “Take It Back” come off as rehashed. But we’ve heard worse over the years from the Wu, so we’re not complaining too much.

Expecting to hear the type of hype you might find on a Ghostface record, at first listen, The 8 Diagrams seems like a disappointment. RZA is trying new drum patterns, sampling strange records, and the sound is dank and murky. But it’s a slow burn. Furthermore, because of RZA’s off-kilter approach to creating these records, it at first seems like a jumbled mess without cohesion. But search your memory. That has been the case with every Wu-Tang record. It doesn’t seem so now, because now we all know the ups, down’s, ins, and outs, of those first five or six classic LP’s. But like those early records, after repeated listens to The 8 Diagrams, the album seeps into your consciousness. It slowly becomes cohesive, and all the pieces fall into their respective right places. You feel the freezing cold of Shaolin Island, you see the breath come from out their mouths as they spit lyrics through your headphones. Eventually you begin to remember what the sound of the Wu-Tang Clan truly is; formless, non-traditional. It’s songs like “Can It Be All So Simple”, GZA’s “Cold World” or Raekwon’s “Rainy Days”. It’s the pain, the hurt, the torture, the misery, and it’s captured here. – Pizzo
    Last edited by RynMur; 12-21-2007 at 03:26 PM.

After all the reviews I've read for the album. I have to say this one is pretty damn close to how I feel about it. I know alot of people saying their not feeling 8 Diagrams, but like pizzo said, many wu albums take time to grow on you. And this is the perfect example of why 8 Diagrams would be one (rza changing to a darker production approach). Over time, I just see this album getting better.
    Last edited by RynMur; 12-21-2007 at 03:35 PM.

FRESH FISH

Great Review! All these fake ass wu-tang fans need to get off of here cuz they don't know shit about Wu! I still haven't heard a nigga name a better album out right now.
    I fear for the 85 that don't got a clue!

Mauling Panda's Rampage Dominus Santorini's Avatar

Pizzo is always on point. I agree with him 99% on this review, I don't dislike Heart Gently Weeps like he does and Gun Will Go wasn't a highlight for me personally (still a good song) but the rest was golden

Veteran Member

^ cosign, this album is really sinking in, perfect for wintertime or night time in general.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

what does he mean "its one thing for Erykah Badu to re-sing fab four vocals" wtf? Is he swiping Erykah? Review failed.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Expecting to hear the type of hype you might find on a Ghostface record, at first listen, The 8 Diagrams seems like a disappointment. RZA is trying new drum patterns, sampling strange records, and the sound is dank and murky. But it’s a slow burn. Furthermore, because of RZA’s off-kilter approach to creating these records, it at first seems like a jumbled mess without cohesion. But search your memory. That has been the case with every Wu-Tang record. It doesn’t seem so now, because now we all know the ups, down’s, ins, and outs, of those first five or six classic LP’s. But like those early records, after repeated listens to The 8 Diagrams, the album seeps into your consciousness. It slowly becomes cohesive, and all the pieces fall into their respective right places. You feel the freezing cold of Shaolin Island, you see the breath come from out their mouths as they spit lyrics through your headphones. Eventually you begin to remember what the sound of the Wu-Tang Clan truly is; formless, non-traditional. It’s songs like “Can It Be All So Simple”, GZA’s “Cold World” or Raekwon’s “Rainy Days”. It’s the pain, the hurt, the torture, the misery, and it’s captured here.
    last paragraph is ON POINT..

the threads where i had posted my first thoughts after first listen have faded away into Corp oblivion but i remember posting about how there's no cohesion and the album is just a bunch of shit thrown together n it doesn't work.....

but everyone seems to be sayin the same thing: this album GROWS on you..

Rza wasn't kidding when he was sayin this is some organic vegetables not McDonald's rap...

i haven't listened to the album in days cuz i've been convalescing, but Take it Back is stuck in my head all the time right now for some reason..

Veteran Member

Like rza said in that westwood interview, 'you gotta have it once, then have it twice, then on the third listen thats when it gets nice' ....well something like that. He even said in the interview that it took him 2 weeks to really get the album. I agree that a lotta people say this album grown on you. At first I was thinking they must be exaggerating, but after I listened to it several times it really started to grow on me. I also have Take It Back stuck in my head, even though to me its not the best track on the album (but not poor by any means).

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

Can't believe he didn't like Heart or Take it Back. Other than that, good review.

The sound of The 8 Diagrams is traditional Wu-Tang – it’s unusual, unsettling, and perhaps the crew’s darkest album yet.
    no way baby,

granted, the album can be considered "dark", but the instrumentation and all the singing are nothing like anything they've ever done. Rza attempted to take that "dark" sound and reinvent it. i personally dont think he succeeded.

this album is hardly traditional wu-tang.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Save for a couple of obvious exceptions, like HGW, 8D is traditional Wu-Tang. It sounds more Wu than W and IF, a couple of tracks even sound more Wu than Forever. The novelty is the new instrumentation and samples that RZA uses to make it sound 2007. Just name any track except HGW and maybe Stick Me, Unpredictable, and one could point to a precedent.

"unusual, unsettling"... The instrumentation and the singing IS nothing like they've ever done which you know, makes it unusual and unsettling. No Wu Tang album is ever the same. I don't get what traditional wu tang is cuz all their albums so different from one another... Well beat wise that is.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Watch your mouth shouldve been on the album. Unpredictable is wack with thay REUSED deck verse.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Strength View Post
    Save for a couple of obvious exceptions, like HGW, 8D is traditional Wu-Tang. It sounds more Wu than W and IF, a couple of tracks even sound more Wu than Forever. The novelty is the new instrumentation and samples that RZA uses to make it sound 2007. Just name any track except HGW and maybe Stick Me, Unpredictable, and one could point to a precedent.
    if you think stuff on 8D is more of a traditional wu sound than tracks like chambermusik, careful, hollow bones, jah world, one blood, the monument, red bull, let my niggaz live, then i guess you dont know what the traditional wu sound is. i agree with you in regards to iron flag. forever really wasnt traditional wu either which is why, like 8D, it was hated by almost everybody at first. Rza attempting to reinvent wu-tang with that album too. did a better job i'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by vuboy123 View Post
    "unusual, unsettling"... The instrumentation and the singing IS nothing like they've ever done which you know, makes it unusual and unsettling. No Wu Tang album is ever the same. I don't get what traditional wu tang is cuz all their albums so different from one another... Well beat wise that is.
    so if Rza gave this album a crunk or g-funk sound you would say its traditional wu cuz its unlike anything they've done before? this album is soft, sluggish, a finesse album from Rza. sounds like a blunted BOAP to me. the only thing its similar to traditional wu in is that its dark. if you like the album despite these traits, fair enough.

traditional wu = raw, gritty, dark, aggressive "punch you in the face" music(ie, 36 chambers through ironman, ghostdog, the great migration, wisemen approaching, I)

this album hits like a girl.
    Last edited by THE W; 12-22-2007 at 08:47 PM.

dont get it twisted, im not some dude who's hates this album cuz it doesnt sound like 93-97.

in stereo >>>> 8 diagrams
    world according to Rza >>>>> 8 diagrams

i enjoy both albums