• Average

16 15.24%
  • Mediocore

8 7.62%
  • Wack

5 4.76%
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface Killah - The Big Doe Rehab

Love this album, def gonna get more play than my 8 Diagrams, not really sayin much though.

I'm listening to this record now and will rate each song as I go.

2. Toney Sigel...3/10
    3. Yolanda's House...7.5/10
    4. We Celebrate...1/10
    5. Walk Around...7/10
    6. Yapp City...4/10
    7. White Linen...3/10
    8. Supa GFK...7/10
    9. Rec Room Therapy...7.5/10
    11. I'll Die For You...6/10
    12. Paisley Darts...8.5/10
    13. Shakey Dog...6/10
    15. Killa Lipstick...7/10
    16. Slow Down...6/10

Overall...6/10 (Not based on averages of scores for individual tracks).

There's some good songs on it. Only a few bad ones. But in the end the album as a package just doesn't impress me. It just seems like a bunch of random tracks thrown together. I like it better than the 2 fish ones anyway, so that's something I guess. It's a decent album, but forgettable nonetheless.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I'm listening to this record now and will rate each song as I go.

2. Toney Sigel...3/10
    3. Yolanda's House...7.5/10
    4. We Celebrate...1/10
    5. Walk Around...7/10
    6. Yapp City...4/10
    7. White Linen...3/10
    8. Supa GFK...7/10
    9. Rec Room Therapy...7.5/10
    11. I'll Die For You...6/10
    12. Paisley Darts...8.5/10
    13. Shakey Dog...6/10
    15. Killa Lipstick...7/10
    16. Slow Down...6/10

Overall...6/10 (Not based on averages of scores for individual tracks).

There's some good songs on it. Only a few bad ones. But in the end the album as a package just doesn't impress me. It just seems like a bunch of random tracks thrown together. I like it better than the 2 fish ones anyway, so that's something I guess. It's a decent album, but forgettable nonetheless.
    cmon man this is a little harsh. and no way yolanda's house is a 7.5.

Wu Vatican

You know what, that man Ghostface Killah certainly knows how to put out albums every 8 or so months. It’s odd that this album feels so rushed when it’s basically been nearly 2 years since his last REAL, official album came out. I don’t think many people have been spinning “More Fish” for the past 12 months, so it comes as a surprise that this album didn’t receive much hype. “Big Dough Rehab” does nothing daring, nothing experimental, nothing to push the envelope; yet, as only Ghostface may have it, he delivers album is chock full of the Pretty Toney storytelling and no-name producer’s soulful beats. The result, nothing to scoff at spending $15 at, nor anything to proclaim it in the same class as his masterpiece’s “Supreme Clientele,” and “Ironman.”

At the Cabana- N/A- skit

The Barrel Brothers- 4/5- A 4/5 seems like a bit of a stretch when you consider that the guest verses were suspect, but this is your prototypical opener to a Ghostface album. An ringing beat, and a charismatic Ghostface verse. It never fails. Good opener track.

Yolanda’s House- 5/5- Never have the first 10 seconds of a track been more misleading, because I thought this track was going to be trash with what I heard in the first 10 seconds. Then the beat drops, and it’s spectacular. What separates a 3/5 track or a 4/5 track from being a 5/5 is the lyricism. This is a 5/5 because you have Ghostface, Method Man with one of his better verses, and Raekwon, who can never bring a track down. Outstanding track, it may be one of the 20 best of the year.

We Celebrate- 2.5/5- This track is flawed, but yet it’s listenable because it’s not trying to be serious. For some reason the “fun-factor” of this track prevents it from being completely skip-able, and Ghostface delivers some funny lyrics. Not a classic song by any means, because that guy screaming is very annoying.

Walk Around- 3/5- This kind of track is commonplace in every Ghostface album. Violin and horn beat that is nothing to write about, with a slower paced Ghosface story verse. There is nothing horrible about this track, but also nothing awe-inspiring because it seems complacent.

Yapp City- 4/5- I like this track. The beat is very hard hitting, it really blasts with a good system. Lyrically, it’s fairly average, but they all flow well. I listen to this track for the beat is basically what I’m saying.

White Linen Affair- 1/5- Shawn Wigs, that’s all that needs to be said.

Supa GFK- 4/5- Very solid remake. Lyrically, Ghostface rips it to shreds. I love the hook. Ghostface also always has to have a track like this, similar to “Holla.” It doesn’t bother me, but it bothers some fans for some reason. I dig this track a lot.

Rec-Room Therapy- 3.5/5- This seems to be a top favorite for this album, but I don’t see it. Very old, 80’s sounding beat that does nothing to stand out. I like U-God’s verse on here, he flowed very well. Ghostface and Raekwon drop nothing memorable.

The Prayer- N/A- I don’t know why, but I like this. It’s completely out of nowhere, but I think it’s what the guy is singing that compels to listen to this. Nice song.

I’ll Die For You- 3/5- Once again, another violin-clad beat, with simple drums and bass. Another example of not doing anything daring and simply going with something that won’t fail. That’s what makes track skip-able.

Paisley Darts- 4/5- Finally, a very up-tempo posse-cut. I’m really liking the beat, seems the closest to a RZA beat on here. Lengthy track, but it goes by fast. Solid verses from nearly everyone here. Specifically Ghost, Rae, and Meth. That’s no surprise.

Shakey Dog- 4.5/5- I love that the “Shakey Dog” theme was continued on this album. I believe that the “Shakey Dog” off of Fishscale will be looked upon as a classic Ghostface track in the years to come, so it’s going to be very tough to make a continuation track that has the same accolades. Even with a tough precedent to exceed, this is a flat out banging track. A lot slower than the original, but the beat is good in and of itself, and of course with Ghost and Rae you aren’t going to go wrong. 3rd best track on the album.

!- N/A

Killa Lipstick- 4/5- I love this track. Method Man on the hook is perfect, and the verses are thoughtful. I really like this beat for some reason. I like “Wildflower” Ghostface better than I do “Killa Lipstick” Ghostface. Still though, a nice track. Also, Masta Killa never drops something that I shake my head at. He’s amazing.

Slow Down-2.5/5- Not a terrible song, but I quit listening to this album or start over this album after Killa Lipstick. Should have left this off.

Overall, this is not an album that compares to his masterpiece albums, and it doesn’t compare to the very solid “Fishscale.” Fishscale has really stood out to me, and it’s been nearly 2 years since it was released. The real debate is whether this measures up to Pretty Toney or Bulletproof Wallets. It’s tough, because this has no track (besides White Linen Affair, which perhaps I’m a little harsh on simply because of Shawn Wigs) that really brings this album down, as opposed to Pretty Toney (Tush, Ghostface). As of right now, and certainly subject to change, I rate his body work as follows:
    Ironman- 5/5
    Supreme Clientele- 5/5
    Fishscale- 4.5/5
    Pretty Toney- 4/5
    Big Dough Rehab- 3.5/5
    Bulletproof Wallets- 3.5/5
    More Fish- 2.5/5
    Last edited by deadlymelody; 12-20-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Noel411 is a ghost hater
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

PRODIGAL SUN

01 - At The Cabana Skit
    02 - The Barell Brothers (2/5)-- guest verses horrendous; ya'll dis G-Unit & give this shit props? even Yayo murks it. "Funny" Jay-Z signs rappers who make him look awesome by comparison isn't it?
    03 - Yolanda's House (4/5)-- about as good as it gets here
    04 - We Celebrate (3/5)-- i never heard UGK either (RIP Pimp C.)
    05 - Walk Around (4/5)-- this is almost top notch; not as hot as "Pretty Toney" but worthy
    06 - Yapp City (3/5)-- uh, i DO believe this came out his dick; generic Ghost.
    07 - White Linen Affair (3/5)-- really more of a skit than a song & the skit SUCKS.
    08 - Supa GFK (3/5)
    09 - Rec-Room Therapy (4/5)
    10 - The Prayer (4/5)-- wait wait-- i thought singing was for pussies?!
    11 - I'll Die For You (3/5)-- good verses over awful beat; if this was on, say, a Capone solo cd ya'll would be merciless
    12 - Praisley Darts (4/5)-- see above, which reminds me Jeru "Still Rising" > "BDR"
    13 - Shakey Dog Starring Lolita (4/5)
    14 - !
    15 - Killa Lipstick (3/5)-- Ghost is good, again < "Pretty Toney" sex rap with one of Meth's gayest verses ever. "Tical 0: Prequel 2" anyone?
    16 - Slow Down (4/5)-- ya'll think Chrisette Michelle shaves her pussy all the way or likes a finger in her ass when you hit it from behind? Ghost sounds inspired so my guess is yes.

RATING: 6.5 out of 10; not many real highs, some hideous lows & a lot of just okay. Best parts of "More Fish" peak higher, "Bulletproof Wallets" kills it, therefore his worst solo.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonousDarT36 View Post
    cmon man this is a little harsh. and no way yolanda's house is a 7.5.
    They're just my ratings, dude. If they seem harsh to you then we obviously have a difference of opinion here. Nothing wrong with that. Yolanda's House is a nice track. 7.5/10 is a high rating. Just cause I'm not like most people, who give every good track a 9 or 10, doesn't mean my ratings are unfair. Just realistic.
    Noel411 is a ghost hater
    Why? Because I'm honest and realistic? Sorry dude, but I'm not one of those people who overrates everything they hear. We already have enough of them here. What exactly makes me a hater? 6/10 is a very reasonable score, especially for an album that is messy and forgettable overall.

I would give Mr Excitement a 2/10, The Prequel a 2/10, Trials and Tribs of Russel Jones a 0.5/10...Does that mean I'm a U-God, Meth and ODB hater too?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    They're just my ratings, dude. If they seem harsh to you then we obviously have a difference of opinion here. Nothing wrong with that. Yolanda's House is a nice track. 7.5/10 is a high rating. Just cause I'm not like most people, who give every good track a 9 or 10, doesn't mean my ratings are unfair. Just realistic.

Why? Because I'm honest and realistic? Sorry dude, but I'm not one of those people who overrates everything they hear. We already have enough of them here. What exactly makes me a hater? 6/10 is a very reasonable score, especially for an album that is messy and forgettable overall.

I would give Mr Excitement a 2/10, The Prequel a 2/10, Trials and Tribs of Russel Jones a 0.5/10...Does that mean I'm a U-God, Meth and ODB hater too?
    I guess its better than giving every track a 5/5, like some people do. But 7.5 isn't that high; it's the same thing as 3.75/5.

And come on man Mr. Excitement is not a 2/10. 1/10 at best lol

For me 7.5/10 is a high score. I probably rate a little differently to most people. See for me, say I'm gonna give Duel of the Iron Mic or Criminology a 10/10, then giving Yolanda's House only 2.5 less points seems more than fair. To me a 9 or a 10 is a really outstanding track. Like a really, really bangin' jam. 7.5-8.5 is a great track. A well above average track.

And honestly, I wrote 1/10 for Mr. Excitement at first, but I really haven't heard it for that long that I don't remember it for shit. I just know it was disastrous.

noel411 is one of those people that thinks being overly critical in rating somehow make his ratings more "realistic" than those who rate everything they like a 5/5. When, in reality, he's exactly on that level.

But then again, his track record with Ghost isn't too good post-Supreme, so I don't know why anyone is surprised at his ratings.

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Humanface Huggah View Post
    yeah but giving we celebrate a 1 and paisley darts an 8.5 is ridiculous. it completely undermines your credibility.
    I actually gave We Celebrate a 0 at first. How can you really justify giving any points to a track you find entirely objectionable? The only way I can justify giving it that one point is that although I can't stand the track, it's not actually THAT bad. Just unbearable to me. And what's wrong with giving Paisley Darts an 8.5/10? It's a great track. Not legendary or anything, but still a killer track.
    noel411 is one of those people that thinks being overly critical in rating somehow make his ratings more "realistic" than those who rate everything they like a 5/5. When, in reality, he's exactly on that level.
    You see the problem with that suggestion is that I actually don't think I'm being overly critical at all.
    But then again, his track record with Ghost isn't too good post-Supreme, so I don't know why anyone is surprised at his ratings.
    Well I'm glad you're keeping a track record of my opinions. They are rather priceless.

Btw, I didn't read this whole thread, but from what I saw I'm not the only one who wasn't impressed by this album. Why all the attention on me?

It's basically just personal taste. Paisley Darts is far from unique, but it's a really nice track, and although it's not original in the least I still enjoy it a lot. As for We Celebrate, it doesn't really matter what the track set out to do or represents, because I'm just giving my personal ratings based on how I personally feel about the tracks. I'm not actually trying to give a rating based on how how well constructed or executed the tracks are. Just how I feel about them.

Shakey Dog is a nice track. I do like it. I believe I gave it a 6. That's a slightly above average score, and to me it's a slightly above average track. Although I like it, I'd have to say I could quite easily just forget about. I definitely wouldn't skip it or anything, but I wouldn't get excited over it either.

PRODIGAL SUN

how about "Celebrate" in UGK's catalog six months before? (to say that Bun B >>>>>> Beanie Sigel on every level isn't even funny.)

some of Ghost's guest & beat choices here are soooooo suspect, Noel is correct: shit gets to be intolerable at a certain point, & should be called out, likewise the double-standard Ghost versus RZA. even "Starter" is totally hardbody compared to some of this dogshit.

meanwhile, the RZA haters ** still ** haven't told us a single detail of the supposed "court" victory Ghost claimed; it could be true but why aren't ya'll looking that shit up?

YA BIG DUMMY!!!

Ghostface is in an interesting position especially as a member of the Wu. Usually Wu group and solo albums get reviews that are way harsher than they should be. Ghost is the only opposite, he gets praised more than he should. It's interesting that he's under Jay now bc he is somewhat similar now. A way above average artist that has chosen to produce average stuff below his ability, quite often, creating a buzz of praise for overrated material. Once again BDR is a good album of average songs that really has no replay value. i enjoyed it the first few listens and then it actually became annoying as a whole.

Tony Siegel: An average mixtape cut

Yolanda's House: Really nice track with good work from everyone

Celebrate: This just has a beat that someone is gonna feel or absolutely hate. I like this song, it's entertaining

Walk Around: One of my favorites although the beat really reminds me of We Made It

Yapp City: Another average mixtape cut

White Linen Affair: Good effort, at times good but also just has silly annoying parts that hold it back as a song

Supa GFK: For someone who can be so creative, Ghost really goes quite the opposite a lot. This is much better when Redman does it.

Rec Room Therapy: My favorite track, love the beat and it's subtle changes. All three come great on this.

I'll Die for you: Good track although Ghost lyrics arent consistent throughout

Paisley Darts: A great lineup but an average track. Wasn't impressed at first, but has sounded a little better the last listen

Shakey Dog II: Another average uninteresting track that should have been more.

!: this always annoys me. Don't credit this as a track, it's insulting

Killa Lipstick: Another reused beat which Ghost loves to do, decent track. Makes me laugh though when people complain a WU track isnt hard enough but at the same time praise Ghost for stuff like this

Slow Down: Great track. Ghost really shines on tracks like this.

Overall a decent album but nowhere near as good as reviews seem to be saying. And stating it's much superior than 8D is pretty laughable. I'm happy that Ghost is getting some limelight, but to become more accepted he became more average
    Last edited by cd; 12-24-2007 at 02:30 PM.

I can't believe the God was online and he didn't hit the God wit dat new Soup Bone isht.