Thread: What have you been watching lately?

His Dark Materials. Three episodes in, it's a good watch even if the books were originally meant for kids in the way Harry Potter was too.

The main actress (a young girl who plays the part of Lyra) looks a lot like the younger version of a student in my class 3 years ago. Then again, after 21 years of teaching most kids tend to look like somebody you used to know. Honestly there are only so many faces.

I thought the CGI animals ('daemons') in the show were gonna come off as corny but it just takes some getting used to in the pilot.

Never read any of the books.

A second season is underway.

I remember somebody mentioned Cobra Kai. It's a lot of fun, very easy to watch.

{>____<}

Check out Away on Netflix. It's a new show. I watched the first season yesterday. It's about an astronaut crew heading to Mars.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...=1#post2626657

Season 1 is cool. Season 2 starts to get really cheesy.

Me reaching for the last Coors Light when the kids and their mom were at Grandma's house all day:

I just found out it was approved for Season 3.

Hopefully we get more Johnny Lawrence and less Robby Keene

Quote Originally Posted by Rame View Post
    Papillon. The new one.
    I watched this back in 2017. It was good. I never saw the original one from 1973.

I checked it out because Rami Malek was in it and he did a good job playing the part.

Wrongfully convicted for murder, Henri Charriere forms an unlikely relationship with fellow inmate and quirky convicted counterfeiter Louis Dega, in an attempt to escape from the notorious penal colony on Devil's Island.

^^I haven't seen the new one but the original one is definitely worth a watch. Strong performances. I also read the book. My dad is a fan. He has a few of his books. I still have his 'Banco' to read.

Malek is an interesting actor. I enjoyed the 1st season of Mr Robot. The first two eps of season 2 were a turn off for me and I gave up after that.

Heard good things about Cobra Kai too, from various people, both here and IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Check out Away on Netflix. It's a new show. I watched the first season yesterday. It's about an astronaut crew heading to Mars.
    Sounds very interesting, something I would enjoy.

^^watching episode 1 right now and liking it a lot. Thanks, Ironman.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Yeah this is some good old fashioned fun, watching the pilot now. Thanks.

Doom Patrol

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    ^^watching episode 1 right now and liking it a lot. Thanks, Ironman.
    No problem. I'm glad that you like it.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Weissensee (Netflix) : 2 families and their entanglements between 1980 and 1990 in the DDR (Communist Germany). one family is pro the regime, the other is against it. Since it's on Netflix I guess it's available in the UK and US too w/ English subtitles

it's low on action but high on family relationships and the way the state police and intel agency (Stasi) worked

kind of like the celebrated movie 'Das Leben der Anderen' ('The Life of Others')

1 in 50 people in the DDR worked for the Stasi or was an informant for the Stasi. dayum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    1 in 50 people in the DDR worked for the Stasi or was an informant for the Stasi. dayum!
    One of the reason people in Germany, especially Berlin, are wary of using card for payments. And prefer cash. It is just over 30 years now. But still very fresh for some. Funny how Germany has the strictest privacy laws, compared to the rest of Europe. Somebody learned their lesson.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Biohackers
    Dogs of Berlin
    Charité at war
    NSU

4 Netflix shows in German. Dogs at war is about the murder of the star soccer player of the national team and its investigation led by a detective with a huge gambling debt. Pretty good stuff.

Biohackers sees a young student start medicin at university. She is obsessed with her biology professor because of some shared history. Her fellow students are all involved in CRISPR experiments

Charité at war is about a hospital in Betlin in 1943

NSU is abou the build up to a few lethal extreme right terrorist attacks that took place in Germany a few years ago. The miniseries zooms in on the main culprit, a woman called Beate

Dogs of war has the best characters. The detective character is well done, the plot has the right pacing too, things move along swiftly