Thread: What have you been watching lately?

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

The Boondocks classic show

The Sisters Brothers. Good!
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    The Great Beauty - Incredible film, highly recommended.

Big Trouble In Little China - Overlooked Carpenter film. Good fun.
    Big Troube in Little China a childhood favorite of mine. I just recently read it was originally slated to be a western movie.

Astrid & Raphaelle. One's a cop, the other one's autistic and does police report filing. Pretty good plots. Good for my French I guess
    Retired.

Has anyone seen the Gangs of london show?

^^ New to me

Watched the London Kills show today though. pretty good stuff
    Retired.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

How ya livin what.. In Living Color

It's 2022 and I had never seen a Harry Potter movie. This must be some weird/creepy kind of midlife crisis lol but I am now watching all of them in one week - they're getting booted off Amazon by next Monday.

three and a half movies in and I'm seeing white owls appear all through my house lel this can't be good

Retired.

Beetlejuice!
    Retired.

The Green Knight. Friggin' awesome.
    Retired.

"Bitchin", recent Rick James documentary. So much in there I didn't know about him. Members of The Band saved him from getting his ass whooped in Toronto in the sixties. He played with Neil Young in a band. Etc etc. Also amazed at the sheer popularity of James in the seventies. (I always thought it was more of an early eighties thing only, with "Street Songs" and "Throwin' Down").
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    "Bitchin", recent Rick James documentary. So much in there I didn't know about him. Members of The Band saved him from getting his ass whooped in Toronto in the sixties. He played with Neil Young in a band. Etc etc. Also amazed at the sheer popularity of James in the seventies. (I always thought it was more of an early eighties thing only, with "Street Songs" and "Throwin' Down").
    I want to see this. Where can it be found?

It was on national tv's streaming platform (but it's an American documentary).

I just googled it and it looks like it's on Showtime :

https://www.sho.com/titles/3474770/b...-of-rick-james
    Retired.

Btw this was also excellent : "Phil Lynott : Songs for while I'm away", about the lead singer of hardrock band Thin Lizzy, "the only black kid in Dublin"

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Lynott-S.../dp/B09HSTCZ7Q

(not for free unfortunately)

This docu was even better than the Rick James one in terms of live footage, but your mileage may vary on whether you like the band and/or hardrock

What attracts me to Thin Lizzy is Lynott's voice, which is not that typical for a hardrock band, and the twin guitar sound, which only happened after a few albums (lots of personnel changes)

Both the Rick James and the Phil Lynott docu spend a lot of time on what makes the singers (and also players) tick, in their personal lives as well. There are actually a lot of parallels between tgese two people, even though they played different genres
    Retired.

Little Joe - Psychological Sci-Fi. Very creepy and subtle. Conspiracy theorists will like the implications.

IASIP S15 - You can tell this season was hard to make. Its still funny but things like adding a monkey and travelling to Ireland are a bit out there for the show. Maybe when you consistently make crazy fucked up stories it gets harder to shock your audience.