Thread: What have you been watching lately?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Looked it up as I was unfamiliar with it. Looks like a movie I'd enjoy, I'm always in for some costume drama
    It was an interesting movie and a true story.

'Timeless'. They're showing this 2017 time travel show down here weekly now. Recommended by our scifi club. Solid pilot about The Hindenburg zeppelin in 1937. I hope I get to see the scifi guys and gals again this summer. I miss our bimonthly meetups at the other end of the country. Same for the monthly Jean Ray book club in my hometown.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 02-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    Retired.

Scorsese complaining about streaming services' mainstream output in a fancy essay when he had Netflix bankroll 'The Irishman'. Nice going Martin. Of course he's partly right about big streaming services but I don't know if he should be tge one complaining.

'The Irishman' is still in my top ten new movies I saw in the last five years.
    Retired.

The Crime Boss

entertaining movie about "organized" crime in the South. Good combo of humor and crime, but not an 'action comedy'.
    Retired.

The Hunt

Earlier on we were talking on here about how played out tgat script is. I thought I'd give a chance anyway and 15 minutes into the movie I'm pleasantly surprised. It's action combined with some humor (the opening scene lol) and some gore. This movie is smart about not taking itself seriously but still being entertaining.
    Retired.

^^lol finished it. WuCorp is gonna love that movie. Very Gen Chat'ish.
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Aerial America

Checking out Takeshi Kitano's 90s output. 'Sonatine' is a great little crime drama. Checking out 'Boiling Point' next.

Spectral (Netflix). Good hybrid of war movie and scifi. The scifi part is explained away with an interesting real life theory that is above my paygrade lol.

Underwater. Good movie in the vein of 'The Abyss'. Action packed scifi.

About to watcg Annihilation (Netflix) now. Looks like it could be another good scifi flick.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Spectral (Netflix). Good hybrid of war movie and scifi. The scifi part is explained away with an interesting real life theory that is above my paygrade lol.

Underwater. Good movie in the vein of 'The Abyss'. Action packed scifi.

About to watcg Annihilation (Netflix) now. Looks like it could be another good scifi flick.
    Yeah that's a classic.

I watched Coming To America again. I think I'll skip the sequel, the reviews are in and they're not good.

Fish Tank - British coming of age drama that's on Netflix. Banger of a film.

Also rewatching True Detective Season 1, which is absolutely fantastic, I'm surprised I hadn't rewatched it before now.

Fish Tank is great. I saw it in a movie theater when it dropped in 2009. IIRC that movie had a Nas song off Illmatic in it? I seem to remember not expecting a Nas song to turn up in a British drama. wonderful performance by the female teen lead. the mom and the creepy guy roles were well played too
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 03-08-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Retired.

^ Life's a Bitch. Nas is pretty typical shit for british hoodrats to be listening to. Probably less so these days.

Fassbender is great in it, he's a great actor but he's been in a lot of shit films recently.

this guy has been reviewing a movie a day for eleven years straight

http://dansator.blogspot.com/?m=1

The fun thing about it is he reviews movies in simple honest terms and doesn't aim for professional Robert Ebert like reviews. What is also interesting is that he reviews wildly different stuff, from Japanese arthouse movies over American blockbusters to softcore and hardcore adult movies. Currently he is in the process of getting his young grandson to watch his first (Universal rated) movies.

He uses a lot of stills when reviewing movies.

I check in every now and again.

If CharlesJones were a normal guy I think this is what the reviews would come out like.
    Retired.

Travelers

^^Netflix scifi show, 2 season. Good plot and acting

the Katee Sackhoff starring Another Life is really bad. Lackluster story and she's the only one who plays her character convincingly. Everybody else is part of the shitshow
    Retired.

{>____<}

21 Bridges. Good film!
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty