Thread: What have you been watching lately?

I enjoyed every last minute of 'The Veep'. Not easy to put believable dramatic moments in a comedy but Julia Louis- Dreyfus (the only dramatic moments revolve around her character) is great at both comedy and drama. Too bad I can't watch Seinfeld again nor New Adventures of Old Christine, which I never saw. As far as I can tell they're not included on any pay-per-view channels round here. Might go for DVDs too somewhere down the line.

Now with watching 'The Veep' after 'Billions' it strikes me how most characters on 'The Veep' and just about everybody on 'Billions' except for a few guys on Axelrod's team I still felt like rooting for all the characters on 'The Veep' while slowly getting disgusted by all the characters on 'Billions'. While most everybody is backstabbing each other on both shows. Is it due to characters being inept for comedic effect on 'The Veep' or is it because there seems deeply ingrained hate woven into the plotlines of 'Billions'? I am clearly enjoying both shows fir different reasons.

I tried watching Billions but I couldn't get into it. The characters are not at all sympathetic, eg Damian Lewis' performance seemed to be based on pre-politics Trump. I might try it again at some point, it seems like a well done show.

I think you're right, a show like Veep takes shots at the political system, incompetence so you don't end up hating the characters like you would in real life, or in a drama. There are a lot of comedy characters who are narcissistic and uncaring who would be villains if they were played straight.

Plus of course good comedy characters/actors are generally charming and likeable.

Westerns
    And Now... Make Your Peace with God | WESTERN Movie | Full Cowboy Movie | Free Film

{>____<}

I'm watching Ad Astra on 4K blu ray. Gorgeous film.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

'Der Pass', English title 'Pagan Peak', an 8 parter about a serial killer in the woods on the German-Austrian border. 2 episodes in so far, I'd say a 7 out of 10. Good landscape shots, pretty slow pace, there's a subplot about one of the detectives' previous cased in there too. It's in German but comes to foreign markets with a different English title so a subbed or even dubbed version might be out there. It's very recent, 2019 I think.

^^the show makes use of the Krampus folklore, the bad companion of St Nicholas. While St Nicholas gives the children a treat, Krampus (dressed up as a demon from the woods) punishes them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

apparently visits of groups of people dressed up as St Nicholas, his wife and various Krampuses to both adults and children are a common occurence in mid Europe. New to me. (The local St Nicholas tradition is different, w/ a helper in blackface, supposedly a Moor from Spain)

Last edited by Rev Jones; 07-01-2020 at 06:04 PM.

'The Bay', a recent 6 episode British crime series about the disappearance of twin teens. pretty good, with a few credible plot twists. good main actress, Scottish Morven Christie. I'd say 7 out of 10. I watched the whole thing in one go, which amounts to about 300 minutes

'Easy A'

Been about 24 years since I read 'The Scarlet Letter' at uni. Time flies!

'John Carter'. Too long, no comic relief and no stand out characters. Good actors like Mark Strong and Ciaran Hinds can't save this one.

Mr Mercedes

didn't know it was a trilogy by Stephen King

enjoyed the pilot a lot. might go in for all 3 seasons this month

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Mr Mercedes

didn't know it was a trilogy by Stephen King

enjoyed the pilot a lot. might go in for all 3 seasons this month
    its such a dope show, the second season especially is a special kind of mindfuckery

Inside Out - Interesting and perceptive film. I can't imagine many young kids really understood it but I guess it still made it's money.

Life Of Brian - It had been a while since I saw this. It's really just a shame those guys didn't make more films while they were in their prime. It's rare that a film is hilarious and at the same time manages to make profound observations about human life.

Rig 45