Thread: What have you been watching lately?

Watching the most recent seasons of Always Sunny and South Park. Its actually amazing that these shows are still so funny and unpredictable.

blade runner 2049, one of the most boring movies i started watching lately, i turned it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    South park ruined itself by becoming extremely preachy and attempting to make inside jokes about specific pop culture events for each quarter of the year. Basically a recipe for not aging well.
    Do you like anything?

I don't think South Park are trying to be preachy, because they've always said they don't want to do that. In the end its difficult to tackle certain subjects without taking a stance on them. Usually their take on it is that liberals and conservatives are both dumb reactionary groups. But I can understand some people not liking the superiority complex that's inherent in that philosophy.

If you think its preachy I think you're probably reading too much into it. They've tackled news and modern culture for a long time now.

They've literally made the character Stan get on his pulpit and lecture the viewer for 60 seconds each episode about what the acceptable narrative should be for the last 5 seasons. There is no "reading too much into it". He's basically Lisa Simpson at this point. It's all so tiresome. The npcs love it.
    I swear they always had that moment where either Stan or Kyle would have a little speech for the dumb adults. I think its just a neat little way to tie the endings up.

Are their politics that objectionable anyway?

I liked their older format better, like when random things would occur. Crab people crawling out of middle earth or picking a random obscure celebrity and making fun of them.
    I get nostalgic for the first 5-6 seasons, those are classic. After that they started getting more political/topical, but still pretty random.

I think the Trump/Garrison thing was overkill. When Trump behaves more bizarrely than a South Park character, you know its not the best topic for them to go after. And it was too obvious for them, although it had some funny moments.

It would be great if they made some more movies. Team America is one of the greatest comedy films ever made.

Watching a documentary about Chris Chan right now. I knew the guy was a weird fuck, but the details are just insane. You won't see this on Netflix.

"I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

on episode 2 of Chernobyl on HBO. So far very good

Chernobyl. Excellent mini-series which was well directed and acted. Also incredibly informative a must watch.

Yeah I'm getting into Chernobyl. First episode is already great, as soon as the reactor core starts leaking people start melting and vomiting up their kidneys.

The show Barry is worth watching. Very smart mix of Comedy and Thriller and Stephen Root is fucking great in it.

2001 a space odyssey. think i beat my own record for falling asleep during a movie.

I have been watching a series on FX called Pose. What a lovely show, I highly suggest it.

someone was telling me that they liked annihilation. that movie is trash. a bland feminist getaway of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by brock View Post
    someone was telling me that they liked annihilation. that movie is trash. a bland feminist getaway of crap.
    Classic movie. I'd be interested to know why you thought it was feminist though.