Thread: What have you been watching lately?

Yeah they make a good combo. Back when Lawrence was still Larry.

Been watching 'Beck'. Nordic noir. I know the BBC airs it too but it probably never made it stateside. The Gunvar character (he's not in the last few seasons) is my favorite.
    Retired.

Also been watching 'Wallander' but I still have a hard time seeing English actors pretending to be Swedes in an actual Swedish setting. Branagh is good but lays it on a bit thick and the character is more depressed/depressing than in the novels.

The build up in the novels is a bit better too (great writer!) but generally the episodes compare well to the novels.

All in all I prefer Beck (on tv). Only ever read one Beck novel so I can't really compare. I'm guessing that after the first ten eps, which I haven't seen, they ran out of novels to turn into eps and they just stuck with the characters.

Beck's loony elderly neighbour is a dead ringer for one of my previous bosses. Hilarious.
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Ultra City Smith on AMC. Wiki definition, A stop motion animation, neo noir, mystery, crime drama, musical, comedy.

With Julian Barrett, Kristen Bell, Tim Heidecker, John C. Reily, Luis Guzman, Bebe Neiwurth, plus many more. Narrated by Tom Waits.

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    Ultra City Smith on AMC. Wiki definition, A stop motion animation, neo noir, mystery, crime drama, musical, comedy.

With Julian Barrett, Kristen Bell, Tim Heidecker, John C. Reily, Luis Guzman, Bebe Neiwurth, plus many more. Narrated by Tom Waits.
    That sounds super interesting actually.
    Retired.

Morden i Sandhamn (Murders on Sandhamn)

Good Swedish crime series about murders on or near a beautiful Swedish island. Three seasons of three near two hour episodes each. Each episode is a new case but there's an interesting sub plot about the police officers and a local woman falling in love that runs through the whole series.

Recommended if you like crime, landscapes, the sea and a love story.

Seasons 2 and 3 are currently on Prime (down here).
    Retired.

looney tunes

'Trapped', Icelandic whodunit about a corpse found floating near a ferry that is about to dock an Icelandic harbor.

Pretty good. Nice to see the blizzards on screen when you've got the heating turned up in the house lol.
    Retired.

'Legacy', Serbian crime show on Prime. Too soon to tell whether it's any good.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    'Legacy', Serbian crime show on Prime. Too soon to tell whether it's any good.
    2016 show (based in the present) but it's got an eighties mindset in drinking on the job, smoking on the job, trophy wives and the inspector having dated and dumped just about everybody from the CSI girl to the DA. also there's no regular looking woman in sight unless she's old, it's all super models. lol welcome to Serbia

No use discussing this with my Serbian brother in law though, he's a jesus freak
    Retired.

Started watching 'Squid Game' which everybody seems to be watching. Very entertaining so far.

Watched the new Chappelle special. A few laughs, but easily the worst thing I've ever seen him do. Basically him trying to explain his attitude towards trans people for 1 hour +, which is pointless and basically not funny.

Time for some ratings on the recent whodunnits I posted about :

Beck : 8/10
    Wallander : 7/10 on most, 8/10 on some episodes
    Morden i Sandhamn : 7/10, but 8/10 if you enjoy a love interest story
    Trapped : 9/10
    Legacy : 5/10, but 7/10 if you enjoy a guilty pleasure

Some of these non US shows are not just on Prime but also on the Euro Channel, which comes free with Sling TV.
    Retired.

Goliath w/ Billy Bob Thornton (Prime).
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Since it is October, every over channel seems to be showing horror movies. My thoughts, 1980s horror movies just hit different, something about the music,camera work, special effects, sets it apart.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Yes, back then in horror they actually cared.