Thread: What have you been watching lately?

{>____<}

I'll have to check out 1917.

I watched Hereditary last night. Good horror film with no gore, profanity, and jump scares. I guess Bizzy Bone was right when he said, "Demons surround me all the time".

I'm curious to know why most of these movies are praising Satan. What's going on?
    Last edited by IrOnMaN; 02-01-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    I'll have to check out 1917.

I watched Hereditary last night. Good horror film with no gore, profanity, and jump scares. I guess Bizzy Bone was right when he said, "Demons surround me all the time".

I'm curious to know why most of these movies are praising Satan. What's going on?
    I don't see how it's ”praising satan”. A lot of horror films deal with the supernatural and evil forces. Unless it's a really dumb movie, that stuff is usually intended as a metaphor, like in Hereditary it's for mental illness. It's a great film, gripping and unnerving as hell. The mother's descent into darkness is brutal.

Ari Aster's follow up 'midsommar' is worth checking out too. It's slower paced but fascinating. There's not a lot of supernatural stuff in that one.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I don't see how it's ”praising satan”. A lot of horror films deal with the supernatural and evil forces. Unless it's a really dumb movie, that stuff is usually intended as a metaphor, like in Hereditary it's for mental illness. It's a great film, gripping and unnerving as hell. The mother's descent into darkness is brutal.
    Ok. The mental illness metaphor I knew about because of the family's history. I'm just now watching horror films so I'm learning alot.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Banned

i've been watching a lot of old movies that are considered classics. a lot of afi's top 100 movies. a lot of them are fucking horrible. why do critics pretend some of this shit is good? with the exception of some moments here and there, most of these movies are pretty bad. especially the acting. some of the hitchcock stuff is cool and the marx brothers, but most of the other stuff is dreadful.

in the last month or so, i've watched...

Vertigo
    psycho
    2001: a space odyssey
    on the waterfron
    bridge over the river kwai
    chinatown
    maltese falcon
    dr. strangelove
    philadelphia story
    rear window
    west side story
    north by northwest
    who's afraid of virginia wolf
    in the heat of the night
    12 angry men
    bringing up baby
    close encounters of the third kind
    night at the opera
    fistful of follars
    brazil
    adam's rib

i've also started and could not get through...

wuthering heights
    doctor zhivago
    rebel without a cause
    grapes of wrath
    annie hall

i have some other stuff filling up on my dvr that i'm going to give a shot to, but my leash is getting much shorter. i'm ending the movies sooner and sooner.

^ Almost all of those films in the top list are fantastic.

I don't blame you for skipping The Grapes Of Wrath, that shit is interminable. Rebel Without A Cause is entertaining imo.

I watched The Maltese Falcon a few weeks ago as well, those noir movies are always fun just because of the style, and Bogart's coolness. The storyline was too twisty though, by the end I'd stopped caring about who had the real falcon and who was double crossing who.

Knock Knock. It was garbage.

'Turist', a 2014 Swedish drama that doubles as a satire. A family takes a skiing holiday. While having lunch outside a restaurant an avalanche appears to happen. the dad runs away, leaving his family behind. that's the first ten minutes of the movie. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 but if you're not into satire (the grimace kind, not the laugh out loud kind) chances are you won't like it

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    ^ Almost all of those films in the top list are fantastic.

I don't blame you for skipping The Grapes Of Wrath, that shit is interminable. Rebel Without A Cause is entertaining imo.

I watched The Maltese Falcon a few weeks ago as well, those noir movies are always fun just because of the style, and Bogart's coolness. The storyline was too twisty though, by the end I'd stopped caring about who had the real falcon and who was double crossing who.
    I showed 'The Maltese Falcon' in class a few years ago when we were dealing with 'noir'. Everybody got bored about half way through. I see your point.

Just saw Joker. It was good. I think it's been overpraised but maybe I'm just being a party pooper.

I mean it was better than most comic book films, so if you like those films, this one might blow your mind I guess.

They're obviously gonna do a sequel since this was such a cash cow. Expect more supervillain movies as well I guess.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

So much for standalone origin story. The bar has been set exceedingly high, should just leave it as is.

hollywood bozos showed their hatred of whites again at the oscars. a movie with an all asian cast won best picture, yet racist janelle monae complained about whites being nominated for oscars.

High Life - Creepy, arty, sci-fi movie. Recommended if you're into dystopian/space movies. A bit derivative of 2001 and stuff like that but I enjoyed the concept and strange atmosphere. Great cast too.

Burning - South Korean drama/thriller. Simple premise that keeps you hooked from start to finish. Fascinating film.

'Portrait de la jeune fille en feu' ('Portrait of a lady on fire")

this flick is ace. out in European cinemas now but alas it'd surprise me if it reached US cinemas. it's a period drama about a female painter who is asked to paint the portrait of a young lady without her knowing it. she is to spend time with the lady and then paint her from memory. the portrait is meant for a Milanese nobleman who is loaded and who should thus be convinced to marry the young lady. for various reasons the lady is not to know of the painting being made

during the course of the painting of the portrait the two women fall in love

there's also an intriguing subplot

sounds like it could be unbearably boring or cliché to watch, I know, but trust me it was a great watch

found a trailer with English subs

I'm trying to brush up on my French these days so whenever a good flick in French hits the movie theater I go and see it

also : lesbians.