Thread: What have you been watching lately?

I thought I would watch the GITS remake, but I'm such a big fan of the 2 movies and 2 series that it doesn't appeal. It's a deep story, and to my mind it's a close approximation of where our society will probably be in 20 or so years.

I won't watch the newer anime versions they've released either, they look like trash. The remake doesn't look bad, but it's the same story so I don't need to see it.

It's definitely the same story, including finale and all, so there's nothing new there storywise.

Sha since you are into anime, I was wondering ... are you familiar w/ this other AMV by the same act (Wamdue Project = DJ Chris Brann + writer / studio singer Gaelle Adison+ female vocalist on tour Victoria Blackstone). maybe you'll enjoy this one :

^^someone did a frame by frame remaster of the original vid, which must have taken a lot of work. looks good! the same was done for 'King of my castle' but that one isn't on YT anymore

anime footage from 'Patlabor 2 : The Movie' (1993)

before today I was unfamiliar with both the song and the anime (I know next to nothing about anime)

'Arrival', good scifi. Amy Adams is great here, the plot is intelligent and I like the focus on communication

I don't know the song but it's got a nice groove, the anime is a classic, a cerebral political thriller with giant robots. The writer is Mamoru Oshii who also made GITS among a lot of other excellent films.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    'Arrival', good scifi. Amy Adams is great here, the plot is intelligent and I like the focus on communication
    Yeah I thought this was really well done. That director has a crazy filmography so far.

Shaolin Master

Started watching the tv series watchmen, it's full of a lot of woke nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
    Started watching the tv series watchmen, it's full of a lot of woke nonsense.
    I liked it. good plot and well connected to the graphic novel in terms of characters and atmosphere. but the original graphic novel and the extended cut of the movie based upon it were MUCH richer in ethics : moral choices to be made, which to me was the most interesting thing about the whole story

when you finish the show, can you tell me whether you think the storyline on racism was about moral choices or just a plot element for conspiracies?
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 06-24-2020 at 05:33 AM.

'Veep', just something lighthearted in between other shows. I like the pace of the show. Good follow up on story lines spanning various episodes for a comedy show too, it's not just an episode based show like sitcoms mostly are

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    'Veep', just something lighthearted in between other shows. I like the pace of the show. Good follow up on story lines spanning various episodes for a comedy show too, it's not just an episode based show like sitcoms mostly are
    Fantastic show with a great lead actor. Check out the show 'The Thick Of It' and 'In The Loop' too, they're the UK versions Iannucci made first.

^^thanks, I'll check them out

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I have never watched Seinfeld, so New Adventures Of Old Christine was my first time discovering Julia Louis Dreyfus and I have been a fan of her ever since

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    I have never watched Seinfeld, so New Adventures Of Old Christine was my first time discovering Julia Louis Dreyfus and I have been a fan of her ever since
    Never watched Seinfeld?! You gotta watch it man, it's the greatest sitcom bar none.

I've been rewatching it recently, actually I've been watching some of the DVD commentaries. It's amazing how modern it feels still, both in the attitudes of the characters and observations that are still true.

A lot of comedies from the 90s really seem dated and old fashioned now, but Seinfeld was way ahead.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Yeah. I think it comes on at eleven o'clock in the evening on WPIX.. Will have to check it out sometime