Thread: What have you been watching lately?

All-American Murder

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    All-American Murder
    whut lol. I wanna see that movie.

Just saw 'Us'. Even better than 'Get Out'. Peele is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    whut lol. I wanna see that movie.

Just saw 'Us'. Even better than 'Get Out'. Peele is a genius.
    I did think Us was cool, but not better than 'Get Out'.

He has a new TV series based on Lovecraft that looks good.

Shaolin Master

I was kind of disappointed with Us, That lady's chain smoking voice made me laugh everytime she was on screen. Does Peele do any movies or shows that aren't obsessed with race? I also keep seeing article after article from cancel culture losers that people want to boycott past things by Lovecraft cause they said he was a bigot.

I saw the pilot of 'Lovecraft Country'. It was good. Since the show is only released on a weekly base (at least round here) I'm waiting a bit until I can binge a few more episodes.

While 'Get Out' was about one family, 'Us' seemed to be about the whole world (or maybe just the US) in the final third of the movie. I like how Peele connected one family's ordeal to a much larger 'us versus them' scenario (on several planes). Both movies have solid social commentary but it seemed to me the scope in his second movie was just a little bigger. I look forward to seeing more movies of his.

Quote Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
    I was kind of disappointed with Us, That lady's chain smoking voice made me laugh everytime she was on screen.
    I have to agree with you on this. When Red first spoke was the ONE point in the movie where I was taken out of the story. But the last few minutes of the movie explain the voice (especially when compared to the other bad characters' inarticulate screaming) neatly.

I was reading up on the 'Us' thread from 2018-2019 on here after I watched the movie and I have to say I disagree with Mumm Ra's last post on there where he says the events in the movie are not explained. Seemed to me like Red explained everything neatly in a little monologue in the final act (the one that takes place underground). The last minute reveal explains some of the other gaps in the movie. I'd say : tight script.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 09-08-2020 at 02:31 PM.

On Lovecraft : he was super racist. I've read all of his literary output, several extensive biographies and I have a few collections of some of his letters. (More than 10,000 of his letters have survived!) However, this does not necessarily mean his art should be canceled. A very few of his stories and I'm thinking of two in particular should get an introductory explanation and a warning.

It is my personal belief that Lovecraft was an extremely scared person, afraid of other races, afraid of peers in general even and definitely afraid of women in a relational and sexual context. (It all had to do with his very insecure childhood, where a quick duccession of events lead his family to abject poverty after having started out rather well off.) He only mellowed out some after his mother died. She was his heavy burden, so to speak, as he worried about her (and her approval) all the time.

What I see in his stories is that he personifies that fear of 'the other' (other races, successful peers, women who he considered to be sexually active) in monsters and deities. It has made for some great literature. The abhorrent open racism in some stories (as I said, only a few of those in his whole catalog, including some poetry - his poetry in general was only so and so at best anyway) is jarring to a modern day reader and tends to distract from the actual story.

Btw Lovecraft's racism came to full blossom in NYC, which he moved to temporarily to join his wife (whom he was afraid of sexually). He did not succeed there as a writer, a man providing an income, a man who could make his marriage work. All of these failures contrasted with the liveliness of NYC and the mixed culture there. He clung to his idea of the noble Anglo Saxon to keep his dignity intact where life showed him he was failing.

When he moved back to Providence he became much happier, especially after his mom had passed away, and mellowed out some on his racism too.

I'm not a believer of cancel culture, I think there's more to be had in providing some (historical) context, for example with writers such as Lovecraft, with statues etc. When it comes to people active right now who are being canceled : that whole cancel movement is going to eat itself in the end. It's a race to the bottom : I am more worthy than you are. In the end only very few will remain, and they will feel very lonely up there on their moral high grpund. I feel especially bad for teenagers being canceled, whatever happened to letting young people learn from their mistakes, instead of ousting them.

I apologize for the long post.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 09-08-2020 at 02:31 PM.

6 part thriller. it's a British-Australian coproduction. I'm two episodes in and it's decent.

Chances are the show can be watched on BBC iPlayer. I'm having trouble w/ my wifi right now so I can't check this for all of you

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Due to rights issues you'll need a VPN to stream content on BBC iPlayer. (I can't.)

I think iPlayer might be a nice addition to the free streaming options for Americans. They have a lot of very recent shows on there, like the SF show Fort Salem, which I'm simply watching on BBC itself.

{>____<}

Midsommar was a complete waste of time and money.

Rating: 1/5
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Midsommar was a complete waste of time and money.

Rating: 1/5
    Don't just say that with no insight or detail, no taste having motherfucker.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Calm down! I understood the film. Hereditary was so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Calm down! I understood the film. Hereditary was so much better.
    I'm sorry for cursing. I just like some reasons when somebody trashes a film.

Hereditary was great too. But Jaws is better, that doesn't mean Hereditary is now 1/5.

{>____<}

I'm sorry for cursing. I just like some reasons when somebody trashes a film.
    The film wasn't for me. The characters didn't grow on me. It seemed flat. The dialogue was lackluster. The boyfriend (I can't remember his name) was a total dick and wanted to steal Josh's thesis. Speaking of Josh, people shitted on him with a smile on their face.

Taste? You don't believe in free will. If you don't believe that he has any free will in determining what he likes or doesn't like, then how can you therefore judge him for his tastes?