After being hailed the next best thing by Jay-Z and Kanye West in 2006, many hip-hop heads thought Chicago lyricist Lupe Fiasco, would swoop down and revitalize the rap music genre.

Instead, he did what any true artist does and made the music he wanted, not what everyone wanted him to make. Obviously he risks alienating a street audience, with rhymes about skateboards and robots in his videos on tracks from his debut album, Lupe Fiasco’s Food and Liquor.

Being an avid Lupe fan, I find it interesting that my cousins think he is whack. After a heated discussion at the Thanksgiving dinner table, I came to the conclusion that Lupe Fiasco’s music somehow went over people’s heads.

I guess if he is not pointlessly cursing in every other word – talking about things not relevant to the masses, like 22-inch rims or pouring champagne on “hoes” – he is not relating to a rap audience.

This causes him to release a “street single” and a “mass radio play” single from his pending sophomore effort Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool. His latest single “Superstar,” is everything “Kick, Push” was, but with more melodic catchiness.

Then he makes “Dumb It Down,” which states exactly what the problem is with his audience. Instead of complaining that Lupe Fiasco makes you think too much, why don’t you go pick up a dictionary and look up the words? Or better yet, Google it.

Check out his new videos from Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool which is set to hit stores Dec. 18.
http://www.streethop.com/forums/article.php?t=95285