Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Lack of Topical Diversity is Killing Hip Hop and Its Listeners

Avant-garde

Default How Lack of Topical Diversity is Killing Hip Hop and Its Listeners

I love going into schools and talking with kids. Before making music I taught high school full time. Ironically, students pay infinitely more attention now that I'm a rapper. Class always begins the same way. "What is hip hop? When you think about hip hop, what comes to mind?" I'm good at asking in a tone that suggests I'm curious to hear what their answers are, but I could write them all up on the board without calling on a single student.

"Money!" The class murmurs in agreement.

"Cars. Clothes. Jewelry. Watches." I suggest that that kind of falls under the money umbrella. They agree.

"The streets." I play dumb to flush this answer out. "What do you mean the streets? Do you mean like, concrete? Driving directions?"

They laugh, then correct me. "No. Street stuff. Ghetto stuff. Drugs. Crime. Shooting people."

I thank them for the clarification, and ask if there's anything else. Everyone knows what the last answer is, but depending on the grade, it may take some cajoling on my end to get a student over the embarrassment of blurting it out.

"Sex!" And the room erupts in laughter.

If my opening question were asked to 100 people on an episode of Family Feud, it would be pretty easy to sweep the board. To the casual listener (or the avid listener obsessed with what is most popular), hip hop has become pretty much devoid of topical diversity. Moreso than ever the genre is defined not by sound or musical composition, but by the actual content being covered. Simply put, certain subjects are seen as way more "hip hop," than others.

But it wasn't always that way. Themes like sex and violence have always existed in hip hop, but as a child my first deep connection to the art form came in 1987, when I first heard DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's "Parent's Just Don't Understand." Only seven years old, I couldn't relate to L.L.Cool J and Big Daddy Kanes' harems of door knocker clad women, or Kool G Raps tales of shooting people in the belly just to watch them bleed. But when I found out that a famous rapper hated discount department store school shopping as much as I did, I was hooked. Children are bright shining balls of insecurity, craving validation at every turn. Here was a famous rapper, clearly deemed "cool" by societal standards, who shared something in common with me. I must be pretty cool too I thought. Good feeling.

Who knows what would have become of me had I grown up in an era where my idols, the preeminent examples for success from communities like mine, limited their content to the four or five themes that dominate today's hip hop landscape. Unable to identify with someone "cool" who was like me, I would have been left with no choice but to alter my behavior to fall in line with one of them. But instead I had options. With the way I looked at myself. And they way I looked at the world.

KRS-One questioned the health benefits of red meat on "Beef," and at the age of 10 I learned that you didn't have to eat what everyone else eats. What everyone else eats might even be bad for you. Which of course gave rise to the idea that the correctness of something should never be judged on whether everybody does it.

Older, but still very impressionable (perhaps we're all very impressionable until we're dead?) I remember my first time hearing Mos Def's "New World Water." Listening to Mighty Mos break down the commercialization of earth's most precious natural resource stopped me dead in my tracks. Changed the way I looked not only at everything that was for sale, but at the abundance that we take for granted in the United States that is absolute luxury in other parts of the world. Here was a hip hop song that actually made me a wiser, more compassionate, and well rounded person.

Topical diversity was never limited to health and wellness or global politics though. Between KRS-One and Mos Def's releases, GZA released "Labels," where he somehow managed to fashion the names of all of the major record labels into a coherent story who's moral was to watch what dotted lines you sign on. Ten years later DANGERDOOM actually released a song about vats of urine (understandably titled "Vats of Urine.") Despite being grossed out, the creativity of the subject matter instead made it a fan favorite. No one was put off my any of these records because they weren't covering the same old topics. On the contrary, breaking new ground while still managing to make undeniably dope hip hop made these artists accomplishments all the more impressive.

I myself have always tried to break from convention with regards to what it is I'm rhyming about. My second album's "Mambo Tail Tale" is a story of having to learn to mambo on the fly to get the girl. My latest release includes "Not Really," a song about how being well known for being yourself it's much different from being yourself when no one's looking. It's arguably my most well received single to date.

However, these songs aren't perceived the way that they would have been had I released them 20 or even 10 years ago. They're not looked at as regular hip hop songs today. They're looked at as different. They're labeled "conscious," "quirky." As if they are something different from default hip hop. Sadly enough, they are, but the truth is that my uniqueness and individuality make for my greatest weapon. That people know that they're going to hear something different when they listen to me is what allows me to thrive despite inclusion in a genre driven on big budgets and publicity machines that I've never had.

What's more, whenever higher profile acts stray from the what's become the stereotypical paradigm, they enjoy greater success too. Kanye West's career would not have had the foundation to go where it's gone today without "Jesus Walks." At the forefront of every conversation that I've had about Nas' latest release, is praise for "Daughters," the single about how challenging it is to raise a daughter in today's hip hop society, where he actually questions and criticizes the ideals of the culture he's played such a prominent role in creating. It's tough for him watching his daughter act lewd and date guys that think that life is all about the things that people rap about today, and he openly admits it.

Despite being a rapper I'm not the most tuned in to what's considered "current" in today's hip hop. On the morning of September 19th I tuned in to Hot 97 via the Internet from a hotel room in Birmingham, Alabama, for a random sampling of what people listening to the most famous hip hop station in the world are hearing today. The first rap song I heard was French Montana's "Pop That," an ode to clubbing, money, cars, drugs, and jewelery. I realized that I was going to have to take breaks during my listening session for my own mental health, so I started writing down the times they were aired. I tuned back in at 10:42 and heard Busta Rhymes' "King Tut." It too was all about about money, alchohol, jewelery, watches, cars, and sex. So was 2 Chainz's "No Lie," at 11:11 (with a bit more murder and violance sprinkled in), and DJ Khaled's "All I Do Is Win" at 11:21. I vowed to listen to five songs to inform me better towards writing this piece. The only one that wasn't a rap song was Rihanna's "Man Down," which most people will tell you is a metaphor for breaking a man's heart. There's no mention of any love or romance within the song though. "Pull the trigger," and "I'm a Criminal," are chanted hypnotically throughout the song.

I've had the honor of becoming friends with Crazy Legs of Rocksteady Crew, the legendary breakdancing crew that was featured so prominently in early hip hop movies like Style Wars and Wild Style. A conversation that I had with him about hip hop's birth (which he was there for in person in the 70s in the South Bronx) helped me formulate my theory about why hip hop has become the most popular musical genre among youth in the entire world, to where Rio de Janiero is denser with graffiti than Queens, and kids in the Czech Republic wear baseball caps and call each other niggers. It's because somehow all those broke South Bronx kids captured the essence of cool. The spirit of it. Couldn't be cool because of money, everyone was broke. Couldn't be cool because of where you lived, everyone was in the slums. Couldn't feel good about yourself because of your school because schools were a nightmare, or even because of your family as families in the South Bronx in the 1970 were plagued with every societal ill that society has to offer. But if you were an athlete, you could be a bboy. If you had some charisma, you could be an emcee. If you were artistic, you could be a graffiti writer. This was the inception of hip hop. Being cool without anything. Without being any certain type of person. Being cool only because of your talent.

Thirty five years later mainstream hip hop has come 180 degrees. Hip hop is no longer an arena where you can be cool without anything but being yourself. Where you're free to rap about what you want, paint what you want, or dance how you want as long as you do it well. According to the gospel of hip hop you become cool today by having certain things and behaving a certain way. The same things. The same way. Talent, creativity, innovation, indeed musicality itself, are all afterthoughts, if they have the good fortune to be thought of at all.

While alcohol and technology and car brands that advertise through hip hop are raking in the dough, kids in classrooms in New York and New Jersey and across the country are paying the price. They can only think about certain things. They can't be creative. They're ridiculed for breaking rank. For thinking freely. For being different. The heroes of their culture all appear to be the same person, and at these students vulnerable, insecure age, nothing could be more important to them than becoming that person too. A lot of them are going to ruin their lives beyond repair going for it.

English teachers in urban New York City schools are too concerned with getting students up to 6th grade reading level to teach Orwell's 1984, where culture is prophetically whittled down until entire languages consist of merely hundreds of words limiting peoples abilities to think. Young people today get the majority of their knowledge today from the media they consume, and fans of hip hop just can't fathom the idea that it might all of the uniformity might be part of a ploy carried out by gigantic corperations seeking to turn everyone into mindless consuming drones. Of course they can't. They've never heard Deltron 3030.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/homebo...b_1935556.html

-

I don't think lack of topics is killing rap. How many topics can rappers talk about? I think the problem with rap is that the music is lacking skills. There aren't any good rappers anymore that got skills and that's why rap has sucked for the last 13 years.

[QUOTE=CharlesJones;2294663 How many topics can rappers talk about? [/QUOTE]

many

i made a whole album from the perspective that i was an alien from another galaxy that comes to the milky way looking for love. STARLUST LP

but anyway, there are a billion trillion things to rap about. its called life. niggas aint high drunk and slanging coke an fuckin hoes all the time. what do you do when you not pretending that you do those things?

i almost forgot, murder. lots of murder in hip hop.

The problem isn't the lack of topic diversity, it's that radio stations are dumbing down hip-hop as we speak. Sure, you can rap about anything but you're not going to get on the radio if you don't rap about cars, cash and alcohol which is what these new cats are doing. Who can blame them, radio is often known as the avenue for mass discovery and everybody wants to taste fame right.

I think everybody needs to fuck the radio in order to save hip-hop, maybe then can we get some songs about lyrical diversity on the same lines as "New World Water" or "Labels".

it's not what people are saying it's how they're saying it.

rapping about aliens is not inherentely dope. deltron 3030 is dope, but del is a talented mc. he also had dope beats. also he has flow and voice.

btw those are both over looked in these discussion. you can have knowledge and imagery in spades but if the beat sucks and the flow's not on-point (or voice fucked up or w/e) theres no point to thet rack

the lyrics content is bigger than hip-hop. yuo wont get accepted as a rapper if you dont appeal to some aspect of the black community (even if that aspect is an imatation of an old aspect of the black community).

all the popular artists rap about violence. teh only dudes with mainstream following that g oagainst this i can think of is kid cudi. even wiz khalifa tries to project some thug shit.

the club music can be mindless, thatss almost all sound and no words. but its gotta be about throwing bows and buying bottles instead of enjoying yourself ie happiness. instead of looking for a girl to dance with youre chanting at hoes to back up on dis dick. everything has to be vulgar as fuck. i dont see anything

expectations have to change first and foremost

Good read. Not Really is also a perfect example

Don't know about killing hip hop though..

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Its too hard to detail all the things destroying hip hop in a post or a article but personally I think a major factor is that the newer generations of fans are artists grew up in the culture when the culture was wack as fuck. I struggle to talk hip hop with anybody in person who got into hip hop after around 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Its too hard to detail all the things destroying hip hop in a post or a article but personally I think a major factor is that the newer generations of fans are artists grew up in the culture when the culture was wack as fuck. I struggle to talk hip hop with anybody in person who got into hip hop after around 1997.
    i get the impression that you're judging this from your personal taste rather than conceding that your definition of hip hop has little to do with what hip hop is now.

also people conveniently forget that theres a whole shitload of trashy music made before 1997. yeah, it suddenly got wack.

the shit had already been corrupted by corporate america.

-

I disagree that there was a lot of terrible rap before 1997. There was a lot of classic rap albums that came out in the early to mid 90's. Rap didn't start to get bad until after the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

I think rap started to go down hill after 97, there was still a few dope joints here and there after that time period, but as a whole 97 was the end of the golden era of rap i.m.o.

-

I think 1998 was the last good year for rap because several good rap albums came out that year like Onyx's Shut Em Down, A Tribe Called Quest's The Love Movement, DMX's first album, Heltah Skeltah's Magnum Force, Pete Rock's Soul Survivor, Gang Starr's Moment Of Truth, WC's The Shadiest One, Jayo Felony's Whatcha Gonna Do, Redman's Doc's Da Name.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

I think 1998 was the last good year for rap because several good rap albums came out that year like Onyx's Shut Em Down, A Tribe Called Quest's The Love Movement, DMX's first album, Heltah Skeltah's Magnum Force, Pete Rock's Soul Survivor, Gang Starr's Moment Of Truth, WC's The Shadiest One, Jayo Felony's Whatcha Gonna Do, Redman's Doc's Da Name.
    "kind of" true

let's say 98 was the last good year for mainstream hip-hop.

topical diversity ? i dont know... talkin bout how livin in the projects is rough, yeah it kinda got old fast, and i know what im talkin about... but hey, great lyricists could pull it off rhyming about one single topic on a whole album, so no... id say lack of originality kills hip hop, lack of a higher standpoint kills hip hop... i'm waiting for the rapper who will diss illuminati, zionists with current references. purpose of real hip hop is awakening and education, not "lets make some $$ along with my jew masters!!!" zionists and illuminati killed hip hop while feeding it at the same time !!! and since street smarts say dont bite the hand that feeds you, its easy to locate sellouts and frauds!!

STREET CORNER, by MANO

Quote Originally Posted by Mista JpKoff View Post
    purpose of real hip hop is awakening and education
    says who?

fuck that horseshit. Music is supposed to sound good and that comes from creative freedom and diversity. hip hop would die immediately if everybody started rapping about the evils of the illuminati.