Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'how I feel about 8D now' thread

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

Default The 'how I feel about 8D now' thread

This is a thread for how peoples opinions change about 8D the more they listen.

Has more spins made you like/loathe the album more?
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

Wu Vatican

Upon first listen there are the obvious bangers that draw you in but other than that i thought there was a lot i wasnt going to like.

After listeing to it honestly atleast 50 times straight though, I think this is a top notch album, a classic. And in 10 years or so will be looked at how pauls botique is now. In 89 that album got trashed, but people just werent on that level yet. I think that is what RZA has done here.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

PRODIGAL SUN

It's amazing. First time I listened to it didn't really have the time and wans't isolated had a lot of shit going on around me didn't get to enjoy it as much. Second time and on I'm still being blown away by it.

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Upon first listen there are the obvious bangers that draw you in but other than that i thought there was a lot i wasnt going to like.

After listeing to it honestly atleast 50 times straight though, I think this is a top notch album, a classic. And in 10 years or so will be looked at how pauls botique is now. In 89 that album got trashed, but people just werent on that level yet. I think that is what RZA has done here.
    More or less the same for me except it being a classic. Its very listenable. Its not actually as terrible sounding as I first thought. The beats are soft but they are quite decent.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

8 Diagrams is music for people that like music, plain and simple, my opinion has never changed on that.

Wu-Veteran

its good..but..im still dissapointed..i wanted more bangaz..on some raw hip hop shit..not eric clapton/rage type shit

Wu Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    8 Diagrams is music for people that like music, plain and simple, my opinion has never changed on that.

Exactly. There is good rap. And then there is good music. But not all good rap is good music. 8D however, is good rap, that is also good music.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

When I first listened to the album I drew the line as a few dope trax and the rest I couldn't listen to. Now there is more coming to the middle for me verses nothing in the middle. I still don't put this album beyond The W. but its more bearable. I have kinda come out of the shock of things just sounding all most totally different production wise and started taking it for what it is, but I have to say its a totally different style. It might go over pretty well for a lot of ppl. Definitly not the album I expected tho. It will continue to grow on me most likely.
    "When all your money is spent an you still hangin' on to fifty cent, get it, you underground" -KRS-ONE

ya i pretty much see it the same way you guys do at this point. It grew on me as I listened more and more and now i luv it. It still has its flaws, mainly in 2 of the songs, but overall its a very good album.

Veteran Member

it's a little better now than at first - likely because of my high expectations before its release *ahem* - but i still find some parts of it to be quite horrible, eg. certain hooks, some weird mixing, poorly decided rants, etc.

that said, the production is often quite interesting and goes beyond the simple loops hip hop is known for - in several songs, the music progresses. also, it is good to hear 'sunlight' - rza is a master producer and mc imo.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

after like 30 plays , i cant say i feel that much different from the first listen. some songs have grown on me i guess,the beats are pretty good but everytime i listen to some of these guests singing on the hooks for some songs it just kills it for me....i personally cant stand it.im still jammin to it but not feeling 8D too much.one

Ridin' in the Wu-mobile rubyspirit's Avatar

Get your late passes, suckas! I told you it was good, or as RZA says ... nutritious.

Listen with headphones and hear all the sounds. Definitely GREAT music.
    Last edited by rubyspirit; 12-02-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Sometimes I feel like starting over again on Campfire when I come to Life Changes.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

hated it upon first listen, now i love it....gets better the more i hear it

I liked it when I first heard it. After a few listens I love it. I don't know if I'd call it a classic, but it is already my favorite cd of the past few years. That's not saying much though. I haven't liked many things that have come out recently.

I think what is more interesting is to listen to all the other Clan albums and then listen to 8 Diagrams. No one may agree with me, but after doing this I've come to the decision that 8D is the natural progression from Wu Forever. Honestly, this is the album that should have been released after Wu Forever. Wu Forever was a clear progression in style from Enter the 36. I like both The W and Iron Flag but as albums neither has a real identity as an album. Both seem to be confused. 8D may have its problems and you may not like the direction they too, but you have to admit its a complete and focused album.
    Emotions are for the weak, so I sold mine to the highest bidder.