Thread: Allmusic reviews BDR

Default Allmusic reviews BDR

Quote Originally Posted by allmusic
    In 2006, Ghostface Killah released Fishscale, an intricate, exciting album that was voted -- and rightfully so -- as one of the best records of the year. It was the kind of thing that showed why Ghost is so beloved by critics and fans: his rhymes were wildly detailed and inventive, his stories were vivid, and his beats (most courtesy of MF Doom, but also with contributions from Pete Rock and Dilla, among others) were fresh-sounding and interesting, only working to improve the MC's verses by way of their own strength. And while these attributes occasionally surface on The Big Doe Rehab, overall the record lacks the excitement, the originality, and the passion that can and has made Ghostface so compelling. A lot of this, for better or for worse, can be blamed on the production. The Diddy-associated Hitmen (here Sean C. and LV), who also worked on Jay-Z's latest effort and are the composers of five of the tracks on Big Doe, make passable but not extraordinary beats, with short, overly simple samples that do nothing to bring attention to Ghost's rhymes, going even so far to turn what could be pretty decent ("Paisley Darts," for example, which also features good verses from Cappadonna and Trife da God) into something just plain mediocre, the antithesis of what a beat should do. Of course, when Mr. Coles is excellent, like he is on "Shakey Dog Starring Lolita," with Raekwon, or "Walk Around," he's excellent -- and both of these songs serve as reminders of his talent and perhaps intentionally also have the album's best production -- but unfortunately, there are too few moments of lyrical acumen interspersed among the less remarkable lines (like in the trite and tired "We Celebrate" or "Killa Lipstick," both of which sound like they're coming from an MC whose stories have all been told). Perhaps this disappointment stems from the inevitable comparison with Fishscale, an album which, even if you weren't a fan of Doom, didn't have a weak track, but Ghost has always had a problem with consistency, anyway -- think Supreme Clientele followed by Bulletproof Wallets or The Pretty Toney Album. So the question looms: is this just a misstep before another masterpiece -- and "misstep" is certainly a word too harsh for The Big Doe Rehab, which is more "uneventful" than "wrong" -- or is it a sign that the end is nigh?
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

True, Ghost is one of the more consistent rappers in game. I think he actually had two minor fall-offs, one with Pretty Tonay and one with BDR
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

I think what he was saying was - look at "Supreme Clientele", a great album, being followed up by "bulletproof wallets" and "pretty toney", which were not as good.

In his opinion, "BDR" and probably "more fish" following up "Fishscale" are steps down.

Quote Originally Posted by Humanface Huggah View Post
    well both SC and ironman are certified classics. fishscale may not be on that level but it topped a lot of critics' top ten lists for 2006. PT was generally well-received and BPW is looked back on more fondly now than when it was first released. even MF got generally positive reviews and all that was was leftovers from fishscale...

and that's discounting all of his work on clan albums and guest appearances which is some of his best work. considering the volume of output, is anyone else in hip-hop as consistent as ghost?
    Yeah, there are a few. Don't get me wrong, Ghost is top 5 but in breaking down his albums there is some declining quality and not just because of Ghost. BPW was ruined by Epic and More Fish was awful. I'd call Ice Cube & De La Soul more consistent.

But I mean, this review is great. He highlights the fact that Ghostface does sound bored. Part of the appeal of his SC and post-SC work is his off-kilter shit. Singing on Black Cream/The Heart Gently Weeps, Holla, Wise, The Forest and so on - he forced Raekwon to his sound on BPW and it's easy to see that. On BDR you don't get that at all.

For those who don't click the link they gave Ghost 3/5. I'd have given it a 3.5 but I still almost fully agree with their review.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

FRESH FISH

I agree alot with this reviewer. But Pretty Tony is a classic. That album had mad production. Its just not accepted by the alot of ppl. BDR is just solid, but lacks production. Very bland, boring at times and repetitive.

Veteran Member

yeah he's not popular among the cunts.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

I think he had some good points on there, the album is a huge wrong-step from "fishscale" (i feel that more fish was almost more like a mixtape).

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

I agree with the consistancy thing, cos I find his albums usually have amazing tracks, but also track that I never wanna hear again.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Yeah but I don't listen to that many mainstream artists, so I don't really care how many crap tracks other chart acts have in comparison.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...