Thread: The Guardian reviews '8 Diagrams'

Default The Guardian reviews '8 Diagrams'

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Empire
    When the mysterious Wu-Tang Clan announced their resurrection last year, expectations were high. Never mind that the Wu were only decommissioned in 2001: few hip hop crews have been as intriguing.
    Thirteen or so years ago, when hip hop began its affair with gangsta bling, the nine-strong Staten Island, NY gang (that's RZA, GZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, ODB, U-God, Masta Killa and Inspectah Deck) cribbed warrior chic and Eastern mysticism from their favourite kung fu films. Like a mutant, ninja boy band, each Wu had his own persona, allowing for infinite franchising. Sure, they rapped about drugs and such, but in elliptical and consistently dazzling ways. The death in 2004 of the wildest Wu, Ol' Dirty Bastard, strengthened the impetus for the Wu to ride again.
    As you might expect, the album title, 8 Diagrams, drips with significance. It nods at the Wus' depleted number and The I Ching to boot. Always contrary, the Wu spurned traditional label offers for this fifth LP: in the UK, this record comes courtesy of an internet gambling cartel.That's not the only innovation. Snippets of kung fu film dialogue aside, Wu productions have eschewed foregrounded wordplay. Wu producer RZA gilds his pulsating backings with guitars, sung hooks and unexpected guests.
    The talking point is 'The Heart Gently Weeps', which interpolates the Beatles with the blessing of Wu fan Dhani 'Son of George' Harrison. Erykah Badu sings the chorus and John Frusciante solos. It's clear RZA is trying to break into the Noughties 'hip pop' game, but the guitars stink, though Method Man and Ghostface's smackhead-dealer role-playing verses are as gritty as anything.
    Dig deeper and 8 Diagrams really impresses. 'Wolves' features a deranged George Clinton chorus. 'Rushing Elephants' is as mind-boggling as its title suggests. There is a bum note: Ghostface Killah and Raekwon have disowned 8 Diagrams's 'hippy hip hop'. Ironically, this strong reunion album might well be the record that wrecks the Wu for good.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Veteran Member

i skip to the last line. and then if its not too insulting i read back up. ass-backwards.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Matic View Post

Does anyone else automatically skip the first paragraph in any Wu-related interview, album review, news article, because it's saying the exact same thing you've read hundreds of times before?
    YES 100% ITS FUCKIGN RETARDED

This review is completely useless lol. Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't trust it, it's the fuckin guardian

Rofl, damn this was useless.. They don't even say if they like the album or not... rofl

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

FRESH FISH

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Matic View Post
    This one is not saying much, but reminds me of something I was thinking about recently.

Does anyone else automatically skip the first paragraph in any Wu-related interview, album review, news article, because it's saying the exact same thing you've read hundreds of times before?
    That's funny yeah I've seen the same intro a MILLION times also interviewers always ask the same fucking questions it's like a broken record

Mauling Panda's Rampage Dominus Santorini's Avatar

I autoskip the first paragraph 99% of the time.

I thought the line about the "internet gambling cartel" was funny. Does anyone know their name?