View Poll Results: How do you rate this?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Masterpiece

18 36.00%
  • 4 - Superior

22 44.00%
  • 3 - Good

6 12.00%
  • 2 - Below Average

4 8.00%
  • 1 - Nasty nas to esco, to escobar, now he is Nastradamus!

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nas - Stillmatic

^ nah, he had a lot of other good disses that i think hit home with Jigga - "wanted to be on every last one of my classics", "how many more of BIG's rhymes are gonna come out your fat lips", "eminem murdered you on your own shit", "Queens niggas run you, ask Russel Simmons", and so many more. "Ether" is a vicious diss track, i was never crazy about the beat (tho it works) but lyrically it's a classic. there's a few homo disses and name calling, which is still pretty funny, but it's not like the entire song is like that, despite alot of people trying to make it out like that.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2PAC HOLOGRAM View Post
    ha

calling him faggot in several ways which is redundant and false is not going to win when jigga calls out facts like his poor career and wack albums and getting fucked on publishing.
    ^That. Jay made the whole concept of beef seem beneath him on Takeover. Nas called him a faggot. And bringing up the fact a guest appearance on one of his albums had a great spot thus making the album stronger and more classic isnt diss.

Nas never even gave hov his numbers...

so what he stole big lines, he has shitloads of material without stealing big lines. plus nas wouldn't have had any buzz for a comeback without this rap beef and then a few years later jay signs him lol.

how does 'ether' not look like taking a giant l? try and think of it as a long term power play by jay-z.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

At this point in their lives though Jay would probably be happy to give Nas that victory out of pity.

The God MC, me, J-HOVA

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Nas has been dissing Jay since It Was Written Jiggaman will never be on his level. Nas ate Jay alive

Nas is the best rapper alive.
    FREE MAX B!!!!

FRESH FISH

I loved this album when it came out and still love it today. It was head and shoulders above most major label hip hop releases at the time. So many classic tracks, the whole vibe of this album fitted that gritty new york theme. This album saved Nas's career and established him among the all time greats. I remember people were dissing Nas hard in interviews and forums before this dropped. In the top 5 albums of the decade for me

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^ nah, he had a lot of other good disses that i think hit home with Jigga - "wanted to be on every last one of my classics", "how many more of BIG's rhymes are gonna come out your fat lips", "eminem murdered you on your own shit", "Queens niggas run you, ask Russel Simmons", and so many more. "Ether" is a vicious diss track, i was never crazy about the beat (tho it works) but lyrically it's a classic. there's a few homo disses and name calling, which is still pretty funny, but it's not like the entire song is like that, despite alot of people trying to make it out like that.
    jay z beat eminem on renegade. only reason people say eminem won is cuz nas said it (nas has many dickriders) and eminem stans r just mad with their dickriding.

NON-IGS

RozzDogg

1.Stillmatic Intro - 5/5. Right when everyone thought Nas reached his demise, he starts off the album with a classic intro assuring everyone he's still a king in NY.

2. Ether - 4.5/5. One of the best diss tracks in hip hop history. I didn't give it a 5 because it's a song I will occasionally skip on the album.. not a huge fan of the instrumental.

3. Got Yourself a Gun - 5/5. One of my very favourite tracks of all time, timeless beat, Nas' hits all three verses hard.. Great song.

4. Smoking - 3.5/5. Different sound to this song, don't hate it but not one of my favourite cuts.

5. You're Da Man - 5/5. Classic.

6. Rewind - 5/5. Pure genius, haven't heard anything like this since.

7. One Mic - 5/5. All he ever needed was one mic.. another classic.

8. 2nd Childhood - 5/5. Another one of my alltime favourites.. Ill beat/spins from Preemo, Nas really speaking words of wisdom on these verses.

9. Destroy & Rebuild - 4.5/5.

10. The Flyest - 4.5/5. Nas/AZ never seems to dissapoint..

11. Rule - 3/5. Tried to rekindle the magic from "If I Ruled the World" this is just a worse version of it. Should have been left off the album.

12. My Country - 3/5. Not a huge fan of this cut. Don't like the chorus nor beat.

13. What Goes Around (Poison) - 5/5. Love this song, Nas speaks the truth in this song, standout on the album.

14. Every Ghetto - 4.5/5. Would prefer 3 verses from Nas instead of one from Blitz on this cut, cold beat, cold verses.

Overall, I love this album.. It's definetly in Nas' top 3 along with Illmatic and IWW.. I personally enjoy listening to this more than IWW. Some classic songs, and a few tracks that probably could have been left out, but overall, a great album. Nas dropped this at a point in his career when the majority of people thought he was on the decline.

4.5/5 - Classic

Quote Originally Posted by freemaxB View Post
    Nas is the best rapper alive.
    What do you base this upon?
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

The only track that didn't bore me almost to tears was, "One Mic". It's the only track that took me back to the Nas that was the buzz of New York as, "The next Rakim." That was making cats throw away their book of rhymes and start from scratch.

This album to me was overrated.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

I think with a few beat changes, this could've been an easy 5 star release. For me, it's more in the range of 4-4.5 stars. Still a solid release, especially on a lyrical level.

-

I agree with Urban Journalz that Stillmatic is overrated. I don't think it's good. Ether is hard. I like the album pictures but that orange jacket Nas is wearing on the album cover sucks LOL. Nas is definitely in my top 3 best mc's of all time. Illmatic album is one of the best rap classics of all time.

-

Ghost In The Lac, nice picture of Jay-Z lifting Beyonce. Lucky bastard LOL.