Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gza/Liquid Swords At Koko.....The Aftermath

Default Gza/Liquid Swords At Koko.....The Aftermath

I just thought I would start a review on the Gza show performed here in london last night, I just got back so it's still fresh in my mind. Ok first up I should explain that this was actually my first Wu related concert (don't ask why I have never gone before, it's a pointless story) I don't usually go to concerts period but this was my third time in total.

Ok first I got there early so I managed to get a good place, I opted not to be in the pit and instead decided to be on the first floor balcony with a clear view of the stage. My friend and I got in smoothly with no hastle but we waited 2 1/2 hours hours inside before the show started, the doors opened at 7 but it didn't start till 9:30. While I was waiting inside I bumped into corp member Spinx who I got to meet for the first time, very cool dude (big up Spinx)

THE REVIEW
    The studio lights came on and the familiar intro to Liquid Swords starts up, the crowd goes crazy. Moments later Gza appears accompanied by Killah Priest (a great surprise) and a third guy who Gza would point out was Dreddy Kruger (quite surprised by this, I didn't think Dreddy did this kind of thing anymore) and the crowd gets hysterical. They jump straight into the opening track Liquid Swords but for me was slightly marred by Gza's straining voice, almost like he was struggling to keep momentum, I didn't let it put me off much and I just went with the flow.

Joint after joint the crowd was loving it despite a few sound issues and Gza's straining voice, KP and Dreddy gave good support keeping the crowd hyped and there were moments where KP had me laughing at some of the shit he was doing and saying on stage. They went through all the joints on Liquid Swords, Gza did a full version of Duel Of The Iron Mic and Shadowboxing by perfoming his wu brethrens verses but he only performed his verse on Investigative Reports while both KP and Gza performed their verses on 4th Chamber respectively. KP got to perform B.I.B.L.E fully which was great too and that was that in terms of that album, gladly it didn't end there. Gza performed Clan In Da Front, Bring Da Ruckus, Reunited, Triumph and Older Gods while also performing joints from Beneath The Surface (Amplified Sample, Breaker Breaker, Crash Your Crew and another joint which escapes me now) and Legend Of A Liquid Sword (Animal Planet). KP also performed Fake MC'S from Heavy Mental too.

Gza every now and then would stop and talk to the crowd, there was a funny moment while talking about the state of hip hop the crowd turns into a hate chant towards 50 Cent and Soulja Boy, the remark I think KP made about the footage being up on you tube made me laugh, especially when Gza said something along the lines of "Sorry 50 the crowd has spoken" and "You may have money, but no talent", Gza then went on to pass the mic over to some eager fans who just went on to yell fuck 50 Cent and Soulja Boy to eat a dick.
    Gza paid tribute to his fallen brother by reciting his verse (accapella) of All In Together from Grandmasters and then they played Shimmy Shimmy Ya.

Overall I thought it was a great show despite a couple of Gza's performances, KP kept it live all the way through and Dreddy maintained his position well. I really enjoyed myself and was left satisfied by the whole thing, I will ensure that this won't be the last time.
    Last edited by TAURO; 12-09-2007 at 10:19 PM.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

nice......

I'm back in the game, Smackin ya brain, Clappin dem things, Accurate aim, Snatching ya chain, Get back on the train, Traficking things, Package ya caine, Crack is the name, Sean is a rapper, But rappin is lame

miha

nice review. thanks.

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Yeah great show. I was right up against the barrier at the very front! Good value as well as he did the whole of liquid swords plus about another hour on top.

Funny shit when GZA started talking about 50, but it went on a bit long.

To be fair, he was so drunk by that point that he wasn't really capable of dropping more gems anyway, so it's all good.

Funny that I bumped into you though Tauro, good to meet you in person. Glad to hear you had a good night.
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 12-10-2007 at 03:31 AM.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

SikoCeLL

Yea, i saw Tauro in his black and yellow wu shirt hahaha... anyway it was a fuckin' sick arse show, i enjoyed every moment of it. I was well surprised of Killah Priest being there aswell, fuckin' awesome.

^^ Yeah, I was surprised when Priest came out.

You're doing something right if you get Killah Priest for ya hype man!

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

SikoCeLL

^Ofcourse man.

How fucked was Gza last night lol, and how many times did he say "Wu-Tang Forever" lol! fucking jokes.

Yeah, he was fine during Liquid Swords, but he was really going at some bottle of liquor while Priest was doing BIBLE, and after that he was fucked! Funny though. Waiting for some videos of him ranting about soulja Boy and 50 Cent!

I got about three pics before my phone ran out of battery, I'll up them when I can plug it into a pc.

Here's the video of the 50 Cent/Soulja Boy bit:

Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 12-10-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post

Funny that I bumped into you though Tauro, good to meet you in person. Glad to hear you had a good night.
    I must of looked like a right prat, I had this big smile on my face during the entire concert. As for bumping into you, your EPMD shirt was the reason.....and that you were standing right behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by digital_being View Post
    Yea, i saw Tauro in his black and yellow wu shirt hahaha... anyway it was a fuckin' sick arse show, i enjoyed every moment of it. I was well surprised of Killah Priest being there aswell, fuckin' awesome.
    You should have said hello.

Method Man

^^ Haha I said I'd be easy to spot!

If you're ever stuck for people to go to a Wu show with, gimme a shout. We'll be at pretty much all of them.

^^Cool

Method Man

Gza smashed it last night. To Tauro, other song was Mic Trippin (he also did Guillotine and Hip Hop Fury).
    What I found odd was when they did Swordsmen and instead of GZA doin his 2nd verse, Killah Priest did this other one (anyone have any idea where that verse is from?).

He also dissed freestylin, making remarks like "98% of freestylin is wack" and "don't you know Im the GZA, that I could drop a written verse and pretend I was rhymin off the head?"

GZA was too funny, he kept screaming into the mic at random and hugging the crowd. Killah Priest is massive!! Dreddy Krueger was takin the piss out of Ricky Hatton, the cheeky bastard, lol.

"Get the 8 Diagrams, and let me know what you think about it when I get back"

^^ Haha, yeah Dreddy gimme a dirty look when I shouted that I wanted to see a Hatton vs Dreddy fight!

GZA has always said he aint into freestyling. When he challenged someone to get up and freestyle, I was thinking of going for it, then he added that your freestyle has to better than he can write or you go get dragged out by the bouncers, so I decided not to!! Haha.

So funny when he was tryin to talk about 8 Diagrams and saying he didn't know if it was out yet cos he didn't know what the date was n shit! Tellin people to get it on November 11th!

SikoCeLL

He didn't even know what month he was in... LOL!

SikoCeLL

Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    Gza smashed it last night. To Tauro, other song was Mic Trippin (he also did Guillotine and Hip Hop Fury).
    Didn't he also perform abit of Publicity and Silent? i think he did.. i know on one song he couldn't even start the first verse... he said he forgot it.