Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sly & The Family Stone

Stand is one of my favourites of all time.

.Tom Waits
    .Kid Koala
    .Madvillain

Garrett®

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    james brown released "papa's got a brand new bag" in 1965, two years before sly even released an album. that's not funk?

but, yeah, stand is awesome.

NO - papas gotta brand new bag is not considered funk

what? other than you, who doesn't consider that song funk? and what about "i got you (i feel good)?" these songs mark the beginning of funk. you've got to be kidding.

i think sly is a better songwriter than james brown, but the fact is, james brown was doing funk first.

i got you and papas got a brand new bag is far from funk -
    that was/is considered R&B - i'm telling you - sly came out and changed up the game - fact

funk is a form of R&B. if those songs aren't funk, then how could anything james brown ever did be considered funk?

"By mid-1960s, James Brown had developed his signature groove that emphasized the downbeat – with heavy emphasis "on the one" (the first beat of every measure) – to etch his distinctive sound, rather than the backbeat that was familiar to many R&B and soul musicians.[2] Brown often cued his band with the command "On the one!," changing the percussion emphasis/accent from the one-two-three-four backbeat of traditional soul music to the one-two-three-four downbeat – but with an even-note syncopated guitar rhythm (on quarter notes two and four) featuring a hard-driving, repetitive brassy swing. This one-three beat launched the shift in Brown's signature funk music style, starting with his 1964 hit single, "Out of Sight" and his 1965 hit, "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    funk is a form of R&B. if those songs aren't funk, then how could anything james brown ever did be considered funk?

"By mid-1960s, James Brown had developed his signature groove that emphasized the downbeat – with heavy emphasis "on the one" (the first beat of every measure) – to etch his distinctive sound, rather than the backbeat that was familiar to many R&B and soul musicians.[2] Brown often cued his band with the command "On the one!," changing the percussion emphasis/accent from the one-two-three-four backbeat of traditional soul music to the one-two-three-four downbeat – but with an even-note syncopated guitar rhythm (on quarter notes two and four) featuring a hard-driving, repetitive brassy swing. This one-three beat launched the shift in Brown's signature funk music style, starting with his 1964 hit single, "Out of Sight" and his 1965 hit, "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk

allot of people who began shit don't get they props

the more colorful popular ones always take the shine

Whoever wrote that into wikipedia is wrong

those songs are not funk

Hot Pants is funk

the big payback is funk

"It depends on how you define funk and one could argue Horce Silver defined it on Blue Note records.

I would argue funk arrived at the Apollo theatre in 1967 when Jamed Brown recorded his second live album. He had a great horn session and Clyde Stubblefield on Drums. Earlier that year he had recorded Cold Sweat in the studio. Fred Wesley trombomne player had lifted the the riff from So What a typical Miles Davis tune of the time and made it into the esential funk riff. It' a great single and put the beat on the one. They took it out on the road and whn they recorded it for Live at The Apollo Volume 2.

It explodes on stage and every instrument including Brown's voice become part of the percussion.

Yes there were funky tunes from before this but with melody as well as rhythm (Sly Stone) but when released in 1968 this version of Cold Sweat showed who had invented funk."

James Brown is the GodFather of Soul

Sly is the Father of Funk
    Last edited by LORD NOSE; 03-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.

that quote calls james brown the inventor of funk, though.

it's not really worth arguing... both men were fucking monumental geniuses and innovators.