Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Routers, and/or Ethernet Cables..

Default Wireless Routers, and/or Ethernet Cables..

ok, im still not 100% on getting internet for my PS3, which is the best way to go....router or ethernet? pro and cons of both? thanks...

It doesn't matter because it's just a PS3. The pros/cons really have to do with security, not speed. As far as I know, Wireless DSL doesn't add any faster speed than Ethernet Wire DSL. So it shouldn't really matter. Wireless may be more dependable as far as connectivity and bandwidth go, but I'm not sure if it's a drastic jump from what Ethernet offers your PS3... stick with what you use for your PC to connect.

i have DSL, and my tv is mad far from my CPU, so i should probably get a router right? and how can i put a password on it and shit?

Yes you will need a router in that case. And you can set a password on your router by typing your IP address of the router with the router connected to your PC in to your IE addy bar. It will come up with all the settings.

If you're not sure your IP, go to Start>Run> type in "cmd" then type in "IPCONFIG /all" and it will all come up right there in front of your face you will clearly see a line that says "IP Address:" followed by the IP of your router.

good looks bro, also, the higher the price the...

Linksys router is a good way to go and easy to configure.
    She thinks her brown body has no glory.
    If she could dance naked, under palm trees.
    And see her image in the river, she would know. But there are no palm trees, on the street. "The Holocaust / Warcloud"

can i get like a 50 dollar one and it would work ok? because Linksys seems expensive.

You could use the cheapest piece of shit and as long as it's giving your DSL power to the Ps3 you are skraight.

I'm thinking of hooking up my PS3 to a computer with DSL connection, with a wireless router. Any instructions, help, or tips? I'm a newbie at it.

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

With your linksys router:

Set you PS3 to the IP address 192.168.1.150,

then set the ip address in your router, for the DMZ..

This will ignore any firewall settings your router uses, for opitmal playing. Best set up in my experience.

Let me know if you need help with this set up.

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy The Pimp View Post
    With your linksys router:

Set you PS3 to the IP address 192.168.1.150,

then set the ip address in your router, for the DMZ..

This will ignore any firewall settings your router uses, for opitmal playing. Best set up in my experience.

Let me know if you need help with this set up.
    pretty much..also since u have a linksys updating the firmware for it dosent hurt either

Thanks, so by putting the IP address into my router, would that set up the SSID? Also, isn't it best for security reasons to have a WPA or WEP or password thing set up, and how do I go about finding out what mine is? Does anything have to plug into the router when using a wireless connection? What connections need to made with the devices involved? By the way, I have dry loop DSL(DSL without an active home phone line). I don't see an ethernet port on the back of my modem.
    Last edited by check two; 04-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Veteran Member

dusk ifu hve dsl the best way is choose router
    trust me
    peace

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Thanks, so by putting the IP address into my router, would that set up the SSID? Also, isn't it best for security reasons to have a WPA or WEP or password thing set up, and how do I go about finding out what mine is? Does anything have to plug into the router when using a wireless connection? What connections need to made with the devices involved? By the way, I have dry loop DSL(DSL without an active home phone line). I don't see an ethernet port on the back of my modem.
    Ok don't know if you have worked out yet but.......

This is how you setup should look.

Internet Back bone > Phone line from your wall to your > DSL Modem ( Regardless if your using a telphone on the same line or not, you Internet service provider should have you set up to this point) > CAT5 ethernet cable > Wireless Access Point( your linksys router or whaterver you use), switch, or hub.

Now if your running a wireless network, you don't need any other cords running into your wirless point. Maybe for the initial setup, you'll need to set it up, but after that you won't need anything. Except what was mentioned above (WAP>cat5>DSL>phone line>backbone

What ever you type into your router, just make sure you put the same settings into the device you want to connect, that includes ssid, and WPA and/or WEP passwords. You can configure your box your trying to connect (laptop, computer, PS3, wii.....whatever) automacially using DHCP, or you can just set them to have same IP address all the time.