Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Documentary Thread

PRODIGAL SUN

Beware of Mr. Baker (2012)

My knowledge of Ginger Baker was practically zilch before watching this documentary. In fact, I didn't even know Eric Clapton was in Cream. Besides hearing their music on records and tape decks growing up by my parents, I knew nothing about this band. I only recently heard about this documentary from a podcast where they talked about how he was run out of Africa being shot at in a Landrover and how he made $2 million on one re-union concert and blew it all on polo horses. I was intrigued by his lifestyle and story and gave this movie a view.

Aside from making some great music with Cream and being questionably one of the all-time best drummers amongst his peers, he seems like a real POS to his children, family, friends, and is the definition of self-absorbed. It was clear that he only did this documentary for a much needed paycheck. Even the documentarian took abuse filming this.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed by the lack of concert footage in the documentary. It had a lot of drum battle footage but by no means showcased the band Cream. It had a lot of famous musicians featured (Johnny Rotten, Carlos Santanna, etc.), including Eric Clapton who was heavily interviewed. A drummer or fan of Cream might find this documentary more appealing.

6/10

Last edited by madchild; 03-09-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Underground Bare Knuckle Boxing in the UK

Once regarded as something that happens exclusively in Guy Ritchie films and on gypsy sites, bare knuckle boxing is fast becoming a thriving scene in the UK -- the ultimate British bloodsport.

When Clive Martin embeds with the bare knuckle boxing elite, what he discovers is not dissimilar to Fight Club; IT technicians, builders, lifestyle coaches and even a solicitor, all throwing their unprotected fists into each other's faces. It's a subculture of honour, pride and violence.

As the UK prepares to play host to the first US vs UK bare knuckle title fight in 150 years -- the biggest event the scene has known since it went underground in the 19th Century -- Clive tries to find out if violence is a cause or effect for these angry young men.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Banned

this documentary is neither educational or informative about anything important, but i thought it was great. here's the trailer...

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

Bwahahahaha That looks hilarious^ Thank you Art!

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Serial Killer Survivor Talks About His Experiences of Being Stabbed On The Subway Whilst NYPD Officers Looked On

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

I'm really after Ghost Town (Fei Cheng) hopefully to download or otherwise stream?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

PRODIGAL SUN

HBO - The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (2015) [Mini-Series]

I sat down and watched all 6 episodes of this documentary last night. Each episode was 45 minutes.

The director did a good job leading each episode into the next one. The first 5 episodes were very intriguing and did a good job covering this guys life from start to present day. Money got him out of a lot of sticky situations.

The last episode seemed a little fishy. The evidence the director confronted the guy with seems planted and the last hurrah moment where they portray they caught the guy confessing seems like the audio is chopped up.

Still a good watch.

8/10

IMDB

PRODIGAL SUN

Sky Blue Bally Kid, that subway documentary above was informative.

UFC Fighter Evan Tanner Documentary on the day(s) that led to his death.

PRODIGAL SUN

If anyone watched the Lance Armstrong documentary and enjoyed it, you may enjoy this one on a cyclist that competed at the same time as Lance and just prior had his glory in the sport before he was shamed by suspicion of drug use. One of the best, if not, the best climber the sport has ever seen. Overdosed on cocaine at 34. 7/10 watch. 1 1/2 hr movie. On netflix now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2966760/...15882537327707
    Last edited by madchild; 08-08-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madchild View Post
    If anyone watched the Lance Armstrong documentary and enjoyed it, you may enjoy this one on a cyclist that competed at the same time as Lance and just prior had his glory in the sport before he was shamed by suspicion of drug use. One of the best, if not, the best climber the sport has ever seen. Overdosed on cocaine at 34. 7/10 watch. 1 1/2 hr movie. On netflix now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2966760/...15882537327707
    Pantani was one of the best to ever do it
    Retired.

PRODIGAL SUN

Default I Am Chris Farley (2015)

I Am Chris Farley (2015)

Watched this last night. It had some of Farley's early work at Second City Theatre but the sound/volume for those clips in the documentary was terrible and they would only show a short snippet. Interesting to learn how many big name comedians/actors that theatre cranked out.

Mike Myers had some funny stories in it. Probably the best part of the documentary. Also, it was interesting to learn that David Spade and Christina Applegate had no idea what the motivational speaker character was going to be the first time it appeared on SNL. They couldn't keep a straight face during that scene. It's also funny that the Matt Foley character was actually the name of Farley's friend who is now a Priest.

A bit surprising that Farley did very little actual writing and comedy sketching. Seems like most of that was done by Adam Sandler and others, or it was improv.

It seemed like the documentary dragged on though and it re-hashed the same sob story for the last 30-minutes about how much potential he had. A lot of commentary from Farley's rugby friends that seems unnecessary and boring throughout the documentary.

5/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3910602/

Chris Farley has a brother, Kevin, that looks just like him. His stand-up was terrible in the movie.

Lorri Bagley was something else during the documentary too. She seems fried and didn't age well.
    Last edited by madchild; 03-16-2016 at 10:53 PM.

I've been watching Addicted to Pleasure on Netflix.

Really insightful doc about the origins and history of Whisky, Sugar, Tabacco and Opium.

De mijne is 4x duurder!