Thread: Ferry finally makes trade for Cavs..

Banned

Default Ferry finally makes trade for Cavs..

They gave up Gooden, Larry Hughes, Ira Newble (PRAISE THE LORD!), Donyell Marshall, Shannon Brown, and Cedric Simmons.

for:

Ben Wallace, Wally Sczerbiak, Delonte West, Joe Smith.

I dont know the other details....but I like this move.

its a good trade but the cavs needed a scoring player, not a defensive big man. but atleast they got a strong body in ben wallace. Sczerbiak is a good shooter would be an effective 6th man for the cavs.

Banned

I think between Szerbiak, West, Gibson and Pavlovic we will get enough points, and probly more than Hughes.

And the front line is enormous now with Big Z, Wallace, Joe Smith and Varajao.

the question is, does this trade make the cavs better than boston and detroit, or even orlando?????

we gotta see how mike brown decides to fit them into the system. its all up to the coach now.

-

What teams did Hughes, Marshall, Gooden go to? Chicago or Seattle?

Banned

Charles Jones- Hughes and Gooden and Shannon Brown went to CHI
    Newble and Marshall went to SEA

As far as Cleveland competing with Detroit and Boston....it helps them. The trade comes down to giving up Gooden and Hughes for West, Wallace, Szerbiak and Smith.
    Gooden never played at the end of games, and Wallace is an upgrade physically and defensively.

Hughes will be missed defensively, guarding the perimeter and getting steals, but his offense and shot selection won't be missed.

I think we will see a starting 5 of:
    C- Z
    PF- Wallace
    SF- James
    SG-Szerbiak
    PG- Gibson

The guards get tricky cuz Pavlovic is hurt.... when he is healthy he starts in place of Szerbiak.

So then you'd presumably have a second unit of:
    C-Varajao
    PF-Joe Smith
    SF-Szerbiak
    SG-Devin Brown/Delonte West
    PG-Damon Jones/Eric Snow

I think this give Cleveland more overall depth.

The one thing that will piss me off tho, is if Mike Brown decides to start Eric Snow. And to be honest with you, I think he is going to pull some shit like that.

Wu Vatican

seatle is really setting themselves up nicely.

they have 13 draft picks in the next 3 years and a bunch of expirering contracts coming up.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

when i first saw this i just couldn't believe these other teams are taking these guys off the Cavs hands...

especially the Bulls, a divisional foe but i guess they figured they gotta do something...they suck right now

i can't believe they managed to dump Hughes AND Gooden.......what a move

^right, this may not help the team alot this year but dumping their bloated contracts gives them much more flexibility looking forward.

Support the Real. Click HERE

Veteran Member

ben wallace needs to wake the fuck up and play like the monster he was a few years ago.. for real.. he was so dominate on D, honestly i cant remember the last time i heard anything about him, other than when he was dealt to chi, and now endin up in cleveland.. if he snaps out of his funk, lebron and co. could be dangerous come playoff time

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Hollinger is the man and he breaks down every single trade here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...eGrades-080221

Feb. 21: Cleveland trades Ira Newble and Donyell Marshall to Seattle
    Chicago trades Ben Wallace, Joe Smith and a 2009 second-round pick to Cleveland; Seattle trades Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West to Cleveland

Cleveland sends Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden, Cedric Simmons and Shannon Brown to Chicago
    Chicago sends Adrian Griffin to Seattle

For Seattle: It's pretty straightforward on the Sonics' end. They exchanged two halfway-decent players who weren't in their plans (Szczerbiak and West) for players who make less money. This season and next season, they'll save a total of about $10 million.
    In the meantime, Seattle GM Sam Presti has another trade exception to play with; the last time he had a big trade exception, he turned it into three first-round draft picks and a half-season of Kurt Thomas. And if he's lucky, a healthy Marshall will shoot the lights out next season and earn him another first-round pick at next year's deadline. Grade: B+

For Cleveland: Say this for Danny Ferry -- when he swings, he swings for the fences. He hasn't been able to get a deal done for the past two seasons in part because he's been going for big moves like this, which are harder to pull off. But when it works ... man, does it work.
    This one works, big time. Answer me this: Would you rather have Hughes (12.0 player efficiency rating) or Szczerbiak (16.0)? Brown (8.5) or West (10.1)? Marshall (8.5) or Wallace (12.1)? Gooden (12.8) or Smith (17.4)?
    The last one is the only comparison for which you'd even hesitate, because Gooden has been better the past few seasons. But Smith crushes Gooden on PER this season, and isn't prone to mental gaffes the way Gooden is.
    Now consider how this all fits into the larger puzzle. LeBron James now has teammates who can actually shoot! No, seriously: Wally World is at 42.8 percent on 3s this season and 40.7 percent for his career; West hits 37.0 percent for his career; and Smith is reliable from 17 feet and can space the floor. All three will help the Cavs space the floor and reduce the number of five-on-one defenses LeBron has to face.
    As for Wallace, there's even some upside to his addition. Not for his shooting, of course, but for all the other stuff he brings. I have had at least one scout tell me his poor results this season have been partly because he just wasn't playing hard; one wonders if the relocation will improve his spirits. And unlike Phoenix with Shaq, the Cavs didn't give up an All-Star in order to find out the answer to this question -- they just need Big Ben to play with some energy for 20 minutes off the bench as the fourth big man.
    All told, this trade is a huge coup for Cleveland. The Cavs had to take on more salary (and a bigger luxury tax burden) to do it, so credit owner Dan Gilbert for busting out his checkbook. But they've been trying for two years to trade Gooden and Hughes; the fact they got something so worthwhile from the exchange is amazing. Grade: A-

For Chicago: Gasol, Garnett, Kobe ... we've all heard the rumors about these top-notch players coming to Chicago, and when they finally make a big trade, it's for the Cavs' leftovers.
    But don't despair, Bulls fans -- it's not a bad trade for your team. Hughes gives the Bulls a big guard, finally, given that Thabo Sefolosha is not ready for prime time. And Hughes might be much better in Chicago than he was in Cleveland because there's so much more space on the floor for his drives. If so, it sets Chicago up to unload Ben Gordon this summer, perhaps in a sign-and-trade, and get a piece that fits better.
    Although Gooden is having a tough year, he is younger than Smith and has a better future -- and at this point Chicago should be thinking about the future rather than the present. Meanwhile, Wallace's departure allows the Bulls to get more minutes for Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas without the locker room imploding.
    Finally, it didn't cost Chicago any of its long-term assets to make this trade, which means the Bulls can still put Gordon or Thomas or somebody of that ilk into a deal this summer.
    It's probably a little disappointing to Bulls fans that they didn't pull off something more monumental, but for what it was, it's a decent trade, with Hughes' performance being the key. Grade: B

Banned

I agree with this guys assessment. This trade worked out very good for all the teams involved. Everyone got what they wanted.