0 0%
  • mediocre

0 0%
  • poor

0 0%
  • wack

0 0%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa - No Said Date(4 years later, how do you like it now?)

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

it's a Wu classic IMO...if Heist of a Century is, than this is too

but overall? an absolute banger

It grew on me real quik, didn't like it first, it's indeed a banger.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Would anyone recommend this? I never really been up on MK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Fuck outta here No said Date is highly overrated. This ios when the Young Fans stepped into Wu and everyone is calling this classic, shit is average.
    Too fuckin rite. Im sick of people callin this a classic. So its up there with LS, CL, Illmatic, Infamous, Lifestyles of Da poor & Dangerous, Paid in Full, Criminal Minded etc etc? Not a fuckin hope. Its only Wu fans who think it is, this album isnt even heard of outside the Wu fan base, let alone recognised as a classic. If this album were to come out in the early to mid 90's it would be seen as mediocre, its only coz it was released at a time of shit Wu releases and is been compared to them. Dont get me wrong its a good, solid album (3.5/5), but a classic? not a hope

Veteran Member

Exactly, I also feel this album ain't classic after more listens, but it's a solid effort. Lyrically I was expecting a bit more on some joints, but there was nothing exceptionally weak. People also go on bout how this album has the mid 90's feel/old wu sound, except for maybe queen, silverbacksand 1 or 2 others, the production cannot be really called classic Wu. Overall a 3.5/5 effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    If this album were to come out in the early to mid 90's it would be seen as mediocre,
    Not a fucking chance. This whole album is mid-nineties, at least thats when most of it was made. I actually think if it came out in that time period it would have been commercially way more successful and less hated upon. This is a GREAT album and the corp fans agree, most of them anyway.

This album is great.

School Masta Killa and No Said Date are probably my fav tracks but there's loads of good stuff. Some of the production on this album is off the chain, other songs have some kinda mediocre beats but altogether a great effort from MK, with hot lyrics obviously.

EDIT: I agree with people who say it doesn't really have that classic Wu sound. But that's not a problem. I think the overall sonic feel of the album is better than 90% of all other Wu releases. The beats also sound quite polished on a lot of songs, which in the nineties was deinately not very Wu, but it's a really great sound, enhanced by the vocal samples eg. Bruce Lee on Masta Killa.
    Last edited by WuGambino; 07-14-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WuGambino View Post
    it's a really great sound, enhanced by the vocal samples eg. Jet Li on Masta Killa.
    That's actually Bruce Lee in his documentary about the game of death.

Cool

Okay I couldn't resist I just had to do a track by track review...

Intro: I'm not gonna rate it but it's a nice intro to the album.
    Grab The Mic: This is a good way to kick the CD off, but it never really excited me. 3/5
    No Said Date: Okay, now this song is just bananas! As with most of the top songs on this album, it has a RZA beat. And a very good one at that. The chorus, simple as it is, is classic Wu in the way it's just a simple chant but it gets you hyped as fuck. Maybe my fav song on the album. 5/5
    Last Drink: The way the vocal sample is cut before the beat comes in just sounds wierd. The beat is ehh. Sonically it's on the same vibe as the two tracks before it, I like it more than Grab The Mic, but it's nothing on NSD. Vocal samples sound dope in the chorus though, I just kinda wished they'd have let it play withought the chops for the intro. The skit at the end might even be my favourite part of this song lol, but it moves the sound of the album away from how it started.3.5/5
    Love Spell: Blah. Reminiscent of some of the songs on MIB with too much gay singing (I know this came first). Ruins the run of the album so far with the rich kind of oriental beats.2/5
    The Future (Skit): Lol. Praying Mantis. Better beat than Love Spell. The Wu kids are a nice touch, adds a fun innocence to the album. I'm not gonna rate it but it's a nice interlude.
    D.T.D: At first I didn't like this track... but it comes equipped with a smooth beat, the emcees are nice. It is a marked improvement from Love Spell. Solid track I guess. 3/5
    Whatever: The style of the song is just a little cliched for me. Wu can churn these tracks out in their sleep. Three emcees, vocal sample, etc. etc. - i can't help but bop my head and smile at the lyrics when I listen to it though3/5
    Secret Rivals: Love the snare on this track. KP's flow is meh here, but gets better as the verse goes on. Meth is better I think, but his voice annoys me a bit. MK is like KP for me, don't know if it's the right beat for either of them. 3/5
    Skit: And now we go back the the real hot shit.
    Digi Warfare: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... I always theought this was a RZA beat but apparently not, great beat though. Party lyrics and shout outs tot he DJs. "Feat. U-God & RZA" always annoyed me about this track... would of loves a verse each from them, would have brought an even better old school vibe to the track. 4/5
    Old Man: Dun dun dun dun duuuun... Accompanied by one of the greatest music videos ever, you cannot help but love Ol' Dirty. This track has an absolute trunk of funk! MK & RZA flow nicely on this, it's just so feel good, probably with a lot of thanks to ODB giving everyone a laugh in the studio. 4.5/5 Doggy, doggy, we'll steal your booone!
    Queen: Puts Love Spell to shame. The song has a very 'silky' feel. Typical Wu again with the vocal sample but it's really good so it doesn't matter. 3.75/5
    School: Great intro and outro. Has the same vibe as Digi Warfare to me. I always used to think it was boring untill the beat switched up and RZA came in, but now I prefer it at the start. Okay I'm gonna say this is my favourite song on the album. RZA & MK drop knowledge. "Tag a Wu Logo on the book margin" haha I've done that so many times in school. 5/5
    Silverbacks: Typical Wu-Tang but with GZA, INS and MK on a song together I have no right to complain about anything. I think the singing at the start was a nice touch. "I Drank with the Devil and ate with the reverand." I love GZA. 4.9/5
    Masta Killa: I have no fucking clue about who Baby Dooks is but this beat is FIRE! Bruce Lee is an incredible touch. Maybe my fav 'kung fu' style sample on any Wu album ever. MK doeos not disappoint, 'figure out the riddle'. 5/5 Ends the album perfectly.

I guess overall that makes 49.65/13 = 3.8/5 Solid album.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

A near perfect debut from the 'MC Assassin' great album, great features, great Wu-Tang beats & Grab The Mic, Masta Killa, Last Drin &* No Said Date are unbelivable solo joints.
    D.T.D. is crazy with the Otis Reading sample (Ghostface rips this up)
    Secret Rivals is a real dark tey bouncy tracks Method & Priest is a unreal cobination, School is Genius with the switch up with the beat RZA goes off on one, and Silverbacks is just on some next level.
    The one thing I would have prefered waould have been if this album was more dark like say liquid swords Masta Killa would shine on that sort of record
    but "No Said Date" still remains a CLASSIC in my opinion none the less.

I just listened to the full album front to back 2 times.

I forgot Old Man was on there... the video was funny, lol.

But yeah, I think this shit was a banger. Its definitely a good album to chill to and play in the background. Its also good to ride to.

Lyrics on point and production was tight.

I like how at the end of school they played Pac saying he wanted Wu to be on his lable. 2Pac and Wu were cool back in the day.

I'm careful calling it a classic because I have to see how long its gonna last with me... so I say banger for now.

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

iv had it in my car the last 2 days. Its funny when my friends get in who never heard the album, feelin the shit outta it.

Yea mastas first album is dope maybe not a classic but close to. also because the album take u thru so many diffrent levels n he fucks with a lotta nice producers word. but his second album diddent reach close to the hights of no said date, i was very dissapointet actually, though there was mad bangers on it.

man, masta killed this one.. don't know why some of ya trippin' bout..

personal classic.