0 0%
  • mediocre

0 0%
  • poor

0 0%
  • wack

0 0%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa - No Said Date(4 years later, how do you like it now?)

Damn, I gotta be honest!

I been bumpin this on the way to and from work for the last week.

That last song goes hard with the Bruce Lee interview talking about water.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

'don't think....feeeel'

Poet Of The Streets

I was thinkin' the other day just how fuckin' dope this album is. It's classic shit IMO. Infinitely better than Made In Brooklyn, did not like that album. Put this in my whip today.

Ayo.. what up cats .. i'm new to the forum .. but i readin this whole thread.. and though i'm one of the biggest supporters of Masta Killa..and Wu Tang in general.. since i was a 14 years old back in '93 ((the Greatest music group of all time ..barnone)).. i gotta say.. this album while not being terrible .. is nowhere near a classic in any respect ..nor does it take it anywhere near ol skool Wu roots....it had sooo much potential

for a wu tang album this is lackluster.. especially being that we WAITED for how many years for this man to release a solo LP.. NAH.. this album aint up to par wit what MK is capable of.. in no regards.. overall

1.. grab the mic... beat is type dope.. but MK's delivery is SOOOO WEAK.. i thought he was talking to us.. gettin ready to rhyme before i realized he was already 10 bars in.. LOL

2.. no said date.. beat was kiiinda nice.. but it had no true architecture.. it was just a thrown together RZA beat..and yet again ..MK's flow is ..ehhh.. iwas bored.. lyrics is nice always.. but flow is.. TIRED!! i love you MK ..but nah

3... last drink.. beat once again type dope.. could have been a banga.. Masta actualy comes type strong on this track.. but the track has no true architecture to it.. its just the beat goin and goin.. no DJ mixin.. nor drops .. no production variation in it.. but it is a tight track otherwise

4.... love spell...siiigh... love spell.. WEAK.. the WU was notorious for making DOPE ASS songs about the females.. but this is weak.. cute lil' beat.. but nah.. no wu tang flavor.. the chorus is WEAK.. WEAK.. no type of strength in the delivery..

5... the future.. this is where i got PISSED... this BEAT IS DOPE.. and should have been an intro track mixed wit kung fu flick snippets wit masta killin it
    it has that true masta killa ninja essence and could have been much more.. but instead its wasted on his kids ..while cute.. is just a waste and a sign of what could have been if only somebody was awoke during album direction

6..DTD.. dope ass BEAT.. and overall track.. it sounded like it was pulled from an upcoming GFK album.. but masta wanted it so ghost said aight!! tru master did this beat nice.. one of the best tracks on the album.. masta was the weakest delivery wise

7...whatever... DOPE BEAT.. dope guest wu heads.. dope verses.. straight up wu vibe.. me likey.. even masta sounds like he felt like rhyming.. good work.. dope track

8... SECRET RIVAL...SUUUUUUUUUUUU... MMM. DOPE ASS.. BEAT.. MAAAN.. this beat is EVIL.. straight up masta killa WU sound.. TRU did his thing on the mixboards.. fuckin' killah priest.. KILLED IT.. meth, though sounding a lil commercial.. did his thing on this track.. still wu tang nigga.. masta killa held his own..but havin killah priest goin before you on any track is not wise because you gonna have to kick the verse of your life to stay on par .. but i love this track.. by fave joint on the WHOLE album

9... Digi warfare..... hmmm.. this is a article in some magazine.. how can i put this.. AWESOME BEAT.... it took me back to the early '80's on some planet rock joint.. THIS TRACK SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WU GENERAL CYPHA TRACK!!!! FROM MASTA 2 RAE 2 EVEN CAPPA.. this could have been the summer WU BANGA of 2004.. masta did ok holdin it down solo on this track.. but everytime i listen to it.. i get sad.. because im reminded of what could have been if someone ((RZA)).. was paying attention when this track was being made.. nice beat choco!!

10...old man.. LOL.. hilarious..ol' dirt steals the show on this track.. and the main reason i like this track.. RIP man.. the beat is dope.. and is wu.. but the way rza sampled it and mixed it could have been a bit more complex... he just let the beat ride.. and it didnt have any of that TLC i'd expect from the abbott
    but overall the track was still tight!!!

11.... queen... ehhh.. beat was aiiiiiight.. eh.. weak.. delivery was average.. flow average.. beat average.. did they even try with this track.. niggaz sounded lazy on this joint.. production ..verses.. niggaz must've been partying the prior night.. i expect so much from the WU.. so i cant accept anything less ..forgive me!! i dont like it at all!!

12... school... SLAMMIN'!!! SLAMMIN!! .. this is a WU TRACK.. and most of all its a MASTA KILLA TRACK.. this is what i expect.. from the WU.. no less.. STUPID DOPE.. RZA even kicked a ILL VERSE.. when the last time that happened..?? masta ripped it ninja style in the beginning.. dope delivery.. dope energy.. dope presence.. WU TANG NIGGA!!!

13... silverbacks... STRAIGHT UP WU BANGA!!! DECK AN GZA DID IT straight up NYC style.. ILL BEAT.. ILL WU VERSES.. the feel good ghetto banga and GZA ended it off right..masta kicked a dope verse..though masta killa was ending too many tracks too weak on this LP
    this is one the MOST TRUE WU TANG TRACKS on the LP and in this era ...CLASSIC!!

14.. Masta Killa.. EH..??? .. i'm confused.. uh.. why would the last track.. named after you .. be one of the weakest ..most unorganized sounding tracks i've ever heard from a wu general.. using bruce lee's voice on this SUBPAR track is unacceptable..damn near sacrilige!! this is a HORRIBLE WAY TO END YOUR FIRST LP..THAT WE'VE ALL WAITED 11 YEARS FOR!!! Bad Form!!! YUCK!!

so overall.. this album.. while having potential to be an IMPORTANT entry into the WU saga along the lines of Supreme Clientele.. it winds up instead to be just another dissapointment from one of my fave WU members.. me and MK share the same birth day august 18th.. so i was disappointed that while he had a couple ((literally)) of bangaz.. it lacked overall cohesion and vision .. it really felt thrown together and thrown out like a pimp and his ho.. make that money bitch.. this album is rarely played in whole in my rotation.. those few tracks i liked are on a mixtape i made for wu tracks..

i hope i shed some light and enlightened some fans ..and i hope i have people that agree with my rating... overall for a WU album this album gets 2.5..3 mics
    at the most..mainly because his second LP "made in brooklyn" was such a dud it made this album look waay better in comparison... peace
    Last edited by NinjaBlakk; 07-19-2007 at 07:50 PM.

This is the definition of a weak album.
    I'll grab and the mic and now I damage ya, cut your whole stamina
    Here comes the medical examina"--ODB

Suga Duga

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Examina View Post
    This is the definition of a weak album.
    BRAVOOOOO, no pack your bags and go back to the madhouse

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBlakk View Post
    Ayo.. what up cats .. i'm new to the forum .. but i readin this whole thread.. and though i'm one of the biggest supporters of Masta Killa..and Wu Tang in general.. since i was a 14 years old back in '93 ((the Greatest music group of all time ..barnone)).. i gotta say.. this album while not being terrible .. is nowhere near a classic in any respect ..nor does it take it anywhere near ol skool Wu roots....it had sooo much potential

for a wu tang album this is lackluster.. especially being that we WAITED for how many years for this man to release a solo LP.. NAH.. this album aint up to par wit what MK is capable of.. in no regards.. overall

1.. grab the mic... beat is type dope.. but MK's delivery is SOOOO WEAK.. i thought he was talking to us.. gettin ready to rhyme before i realized he was already 10 bars in.. LOL

2.. no said date.. beat was kiiinda nice.. but it had no true architecture.. it was just a thrown together RZA beat..and yet again ..MK's flow is ..ehhh.. iwas bored.. lyrics is nice always.. but flow is.. TIRED!! i love you MK ..but nah

3... last drink.. beat once again type dope.. could have been a banga.. Masta actualy comes type strong on this track.. but the track has no true architecture to it.. its just the beat goin and goin.. no DJ mixin.. nor drops .. no production variation in it.. but it is a tight track otherwise

4.... love spell...siiigh... love spell.. WEAK.. the WU was notorious for making DOPE ASS songs about the females.. but this is weak.. cute lil' beat.. but nah.. no wu tang flavor.. the chorus is WEAK.. WEAK.. no type of strength in the delivery..

5... the future.. this is where i got PISSED... this BEAT IS DOPE.. and should have been an intro track mixed wit kung fu flick snippets wit masta killin it
    it has that true masta killa ninja essence and could have been much more.. but instead its wasted on his kids ..while cute.. is just a waste and a sign of what could have been if only somebody was awoke during album direction

6..DTD.. dope ass BEAT.. and overall track.. it sounded like it was pulled from an upcoming GFK album.. but masta wanted it so ghost said aight!! tru master did this beat nice.. one of the best tracks on the album.. masta was the weakest delivery wise

7...whatever... DOPE BEAT.. dope guest wu heads.. dope verses.. straight up wu vibe.. me likey.. even masta sounds like he felt like rhyming.. good work.. dope track

8... SECRET RIVAL...SUUUUUUUUUUUU... MMM. DOPE ASS.. BEAT.. MAAAN.. this beat is EVIL.. straight up masta killa WU sound.. TRU did his thing on the mixboards.. fuckin' killah priest.. KILLED IT.. meth, though sounding a lil commercial.. did his thing on this track.. still wu tang nigga.. masta killa held his own..but havin killah priest goin before you on any track is not wise because you gonna have to kick the verse of your life to stay on par .. but i love this track.. by fave joint on the WHOLE album

9... Digi warfare..... hmmm.. this is a article in some magazine.. how can i put this.. AWESOME BEAT.... it took me back to the early '80's on some planet rock joint.. THIS TRACK SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WU GENERAL CYPHA TRACK!!!! FROM MASTA 2 RAE 2 EVEN CAPPA.. this could have been the summer WU BANGA of 2004.. masta did ok holdin it down solo on this track.. but everytime i listen to it.. i get sad.. because im reminded of what could have been if someone ((RZA)).. was paying attention when this track was being made.. nice beat choco!!

10...old man.. LOL.. hilarious..ol' dirt steals the show on this track.. and the main reason i like this track.. RIP man.. the beat is dope.. and is wu.. but the way rza sampled it and mixed it could have been a bit more complex... he just let the beat ride.. and it didnt have any of that TLC i'd expect from the abbott
    but overall the track was still tight!!!

11.... queen... ehhh.. beat was aiiiiiight.. eh.. weak.. delivery was average.. flow average.. beat average.. did they even try with this track.. niggaz sounded lazy on this joint.. production ..verses.. niggaz must've been partying the prior night.. i expect so much from the WU.. so i cant accept anything less ..forgive me!! i dont like it at all!!

12... school... SLAMMIN'!!! SLAMMIN!! .. this is a WU TRACK.. and most of all its a MASTA KILLA TRACK.. this is what i expect.. from the WU.. no less.. STUPID DOPE.. RZA even kicked a ILL VERSE.. when the last time that happened..?? masta ripped it ninja style in the beginning.. dope delivery.. dope energy.. dope presence.. WU TANG NIGGA!!!

13... silverbacks... STRAIGHT UP WU BANGA!!! DECK AN GZA DID IT straight up NYC style.. ILL BEAT.. ILL WU VERSES.. the feel good ghetto banga and GZA ended it off right..masta kicked a dope verse..though masta killa was ending too many tracks too weak on this LP
    this is one the MOST TRUE WU TANG TRACKS on the LP and in this era ...CLASSIC!!

14.. Masta Killa.. EH..??? .. i'm confused.. uh.. why would the last track.. named after you .. be one of the weakest ..most unorganized sounding tracks i've ever heard from a wu general.. using bruce lee's voice on this SUBPAR track is unacceptable..damn near sacrilige!! this is a HORRIBLE WAY TO END YOUR FIRST LP..THAT WE'VE ALL WAITED 11 YEARS FOR!!! Bad Form!!! YUCK!!

so overall.. this album.. while having potential to be an IMPORTANT entry into the WU saga along the lines of Supreme Clientele.. it winds up instead to be just another dissapointment from one of my fave WU members.. me and MK share the same birth day august 18th.. so i was disappointed that while he had a couple ((literally)) of bangaz.. it lacked overall cohesion and vision .. it really felt thrown together and thrown out like a pimp and his ho.. make that money bitch.. this album is rarely played in whole in my rotation.. those few tracks i liked are on a mixtape i made for wu tracks..

i hope i shed some light and enlightened some fans ..and i hope i have people that agree with my rating... overall for a WU album this album gets 2.5..3 mics
    at the most..mainly because his second LP "made in brooklyn" was such a dud it made this album look waay better in comparison... peace
    Can't believe you'd give it 2.5!

I personally love the tracks No Said Date, Masta Killa and Queen. I can't believe the amount you attack Masta Killa, pretty much everyone I know loves that track. Definately not a classic, but enough great songs to make it a banger.

bump

how do you guys rate this album now as to when it first dropped?
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I still think it was solid and a must for every MK fan.

I still think almost all the tracks are great, but I don't really listen to it often. It may well be because I od on Wu-Tang over the years, and don't listen to that much of them in general these days.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

i'd say its gone from a 10 to a 9.5 for me maybe. because of having an ipod i dont listen to full albums as much as when i just had CDs but when i do run this album on the ipod from start to finish i enjoy it nearly as much as when it first came out.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

I still feel like the album doesn't get into gear until track 6 (except the dope No Said Date).

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

This Album Was Tight Then And Is Still Tight Now

I dunno, i was never a huge fan of this album. To be honest i havent listend to it in a few years, but then i dont really listen to Wu that often any more.

Like i said before it has some great tracks, but as an album, it just doesnt go that well together. Its more like a collection of songs. id give it 6.5/10. Its good, theres no doubt about it, but not amazing, and DEFINITLY not classic, like some people say

Veteran Member

dope album. should have came out before 2000, when Masta Killa would have received some attention. Now many of the songs are unknown to the broader hip hop audience.

p.s. and yes, School should have been a Wu Tang track - shit is fucking brilliant.
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"