Thread: Sony Announces PlayStation VR’s Price and Release Window

Default Sony Announces PlayStation VR’s Price and Release Window

Sony Announces PlayStation VR’s Price and Release Window

http://fraghero.com/sony-announces-p...elease-window/

2016 being the year of VR, it’s no surprise Sony is in on the race. At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, they gave the price and availability of the headset.

The release window is October 2016. It’ll price at $399, €399, £349 and 44,980 yen. Comparing that to other VR headsets, Valve’s HTC Vive is priced at $799. Oculus Rift comes in at $599. It’s nice to see some symmetry in these price ranges, with each announcement being $200 less than the last.

nasa-sony-playstation-vr-mighty-morphenaut

image via Sony
    Sony President Andrew House announced that the new media player will launch at the same time as the headset, and “over 50 games will be released from October to the end of the year”.

Talking up his own headset vs. the competition, House also mentioned the visor style design is to reduce the pressure on the player’s face. It’s also made with lighter-weight materials than others.

sony-psvr-will-probably-be-priced-as-new-gaming-platform_1

image via Sony
    As far as price is concerned, House seems to believe that the only way VR will pick up among gamers is if it’s reasonably affordable. Hence the much cheaper price compared to other headsets. He was met with a nice round of applause after announcing the price.

yeah sounds like the PS4.5 is gonna have 4k resolution capabilities, that combined with VR would be pretty insane (I have no idea what the VR set is capable of yet though)

I'm sure I'll cop the upgrade, there's no way I could've held off buying a current gen console until this update though

more like 1080p upscaled to 4k

people will eat this shit up
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

true, I don't think the industry is ready for native 4k on a large scale yet