Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash Rules Everyting Around Mayweather

Default Cash Rules Everyting Around Mayweather

Source: Boxingscene.com

"Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M. Get the money… dollar, dollar bill, y'all."

What has served for 15-years as a legendary track for the Wu-Tang clan has become more than a way of life for Floyd Mayweather, Jr. – it is his life.

Fighters fight; businessmen find ways to collect ends in and out of the ring. Money Mayweather has proven himself to be the latter, and with great success in recent years. Perhaps too successful, as money has become the all-consuming factor in his life.

Some might not view this as a bad thing. For those who claim money can't buy you happiness, others will respond that you can at least afford your own brand of misery.

But when you fail to understand why money isn't the driving force in everyone else's life, it's a sign that you're rapidly losing a grip on reality.

Maybe it was just hype, a show before Mayweather's scripted dance with The Big Show in his "pro" wrestling debut on March 30. Or maybe Money's ego is so inflated that he couldn't fathom why his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather would extend to stable mate Stevie Forbes the type of loyalty exuded far too brief in this or any other sport.

In Floyd's mind, a conflict of interest existed with Roger training another fighter for a bout with Oscar de la Hoya. What if Forbes wins, pondered Mayweather? Gone would be another gazillion dollar payday that would come with a September rematch.

Why, Money wondered aloud, would Roger risk collecting another seven-figure payday in training Floyd for a potential September rematch with Oscar de la Hoya, for a mere $80,000 to train Forbes for his May 3 against that same fighter ?

There were a number of reasons Roger could've offered Floyd. Or, he could've simply told him, "I'm your uncle, you're my nephew; you explain yourself to me, not the other way around."

Whatever reasons Roger had for wanting to train Forbes – loyalty, dedication, pride – is now a moot point. He could've done the right thing, stand his ground and tell Floyd to either accept it or find another trainer to help – and another family to put up with your nonsense. He could've declared that he's already financially secure, so what's another million to a millionaire?

He even could've simply done what most uncles would do when given ultimatums by their nephews; "You explain yourself to me, not the other way around."

Instead, he came running home, bowing to Floyd's demands.

The sad thing is, Floyd already has people seeing things his way. Reports are already surfacing, not addressing the absurdity of Floyd even delivering such an ultimatum to his uncle, but agreeing with his theory that a conflict of interest exists. The same hacks who a couple of months ago were outraged over the announcement of Mayweather-de la Hoya II becoming a reality are now worryingly considering the possibility of a Forbes upset killing plans for such a fight.

The bigger the lie, the more they believe.

The irony in all of this mess is that if anyone should've been stressing over this, it's Forbes.

Much like Oscar was rightfully reluctant to believe that any father would be 100% committed to training another man to beat their son, a hint of skepticism must've been racing through Forbes' mind over this. What if a cut occurs; will his corner do their best to patch him up, or use it as an out to preserve Mayweather-de la Hoya II? Or if Roger decides to throw in the towel at even the first suggestion of his fighter under siege?

Once again, money talks, Mayweathers either work or walk. Last time, Floyd Sr. walked when Oscar didn't offer the suggested market value a father to train someone else to beat his son. This time, Money talked; Roger didn't walk, but ran back to the hand that literally feeds him. In his place, fittingly enough, is Jeff Mayweather, the one remaining Mayweather with mad respect throughout the industry.

But perhaps Floyd is the one who has it right in all of this. Maybe Roger was being selfish for allowing others to benefit from his expertise.

Maybe others should take note of this potential powder keg and re-examine how they do business. Who knows; maybe my boss, Rick Reeno, sends a cease and desist e-mail to his new business partners at MaxBoxing.com, threatening to break off their recent merger if any of my articles ever again appear on their homepage. Perhaps MaxBoxing fires back, screaming in outrage over Dougie Fischer's by-line appearing in a recent B-Scene post-fight report.

Here's something writers could've considered when instead opting to remain in good graces with the Money pit: Floyd could've shut the (eff) up, and root for his (soon to be former?) stable mate to pull off what would undoubtedly be the year's biggest upset.

Because then, Floyd can lead by example, and prove that he can get paid no matter who's in the other corner, rather than once again piggy back off of de la Hoya's name. After all, he insists that everyone else in or near the welterweight division needs to find ways to make money without trying to piggy back off of his newfound fame.

Or maybe Floyd truly believes that he is the 50 Cent of boxing. When he first mentioned the comparison on a 24/7 episode last year, most rap aficionados thought he meant a true great, like Rakim, Grandmaster Melle Mel or Kool G. Rap, just that he didn't know better.

Floyd is talented enough to where could be the boxing equivalent of Rakim, allowing now to be a test to see if he still got pull, then hit the studio and get paid in full.

Instead, he takes heed to Fitty's advice, selling out and switching the style up. If they hate, then let 'em hate, just watch the money pile up.

Because in Floyd's world, dead presidents mean a lot more than living family and friends.

nice article
    props

Keep it blacker than the back of ya necK

Banned

I agree...which is why when earlier on this forum, everyone was hangin off his nuts sayin he is one of the all-time greatest, I disagreed very much cuz he has alot to prove still.

Prince Rai

look, the man is doing his thing. he DOES have talent, even if they (for arguments sake) havent been tested to its limit.

what family man doesnt try and look out for his fam on a financial basis?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Rai View Post
    look, the man is doing his thing. he DOES have talent, even if they (for arguments sake) havent been tested to its limit.

what family man doesnt try and look out for his fam on a financial basis?
    Please...i bet you felt sorry for Sprewell too.

Banned

Man i was hatin on Mayweather but I didnt realize he gave Big Show a 1-2 and broke his nose and gave him two black eyes...

Was that shit staged??? DId Big Show agree to let him do that? Or did Floyd just do it. That was tight. I kinda wanna see the match now. Im sure its all part of the hype but, that shit was wild.

^ It's fake, they have methods they use to give the wrestlers 'battle scars' so to speak, although he did hit him, but it wasn't full force for obvious reasons, and yes it was staged 'cause remember all that talk Mayweather was saying about moving on to a different sport, and here he is, on WWE tryna make a bigger name for himself.

He's also the Champ.

Prince Rai

the big show thing was all staged.

come on, how much are both getting paid for all this???

had big show not expected mayweather, he could have sued PBF for assault and get a few millions anyway.

acting at its best like the moonlanding!

Banned

i dunno...it looked like mayweather popped him good...but your probably right.

He actually hit him, not full force though, WWE dudes are trained to take it like that.

Banned

Mayweather would fuck Giant up tho with is fists. no matter how big the dude is.

In real life maybe, if he attacks Big shows body without getting hit by him, then maybe so.

Banned

yea. Big show is huge...he would have to cut him at the knees first, and that wouldnt be easier cuz of he sheer girth.

Prince Rai

Quote Originally Posted by NickyTooch View Post
    yea. Big show is huge...he would have to cut him at the knees first, and that wouldnt be easier cuz of he sheer girth.
    lol true true!

when is the fight anyway?