Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trip-Hop thread

Yeah, ive got it and thought it was pretty good.

Not on the level of Dummy, but better than their self titled effort in my opinion.

Some really nice tracks on there.

TheWolf

Just heard it tonight myself. Friend has a download. Sounded good, need another proper listen - was hanging at friends house so was just on in the background.

Cant ever see them equaling Dummy.

You got their self titled 2nd album? It's amazes me how many people dont even know about that one!!

TheWolf

Just re-read your post. Sorry. Ignore the end of my previous post.

yeah, most fans seemed to like that album, but i truly couldnt stand it.

TheWolf

I like it, although haven't heard it for a long time to be honest. Nowhere near Dummy that's for sure.

Was more making the point that a lot of people dont even seem to know they had a 2nd album...

the tracked called "plastic" is amazing. love that whole album.

GENERAL WISE

Here is some stuff from Nearly God

Tricky's is mediocre without Martina
    and Martina is mediocre without Tricky's production

Thats why their new stuff isn't as good as their early recordings.

What does everyone think about the current resurgence of Trip-Hop? Blue Sky Black Death (despite having the gayest name ever) put out a great tribute in Late Night Cinema. Tricky made a decent (maybe even great) album this year as well, and we've all given Third a few spins by now.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

hm, well i only checked out Third (which i thought was a return to form, and all over a good album)

Is Tricky's latest that good? Council Estate isnt my style at all.

I think "Trip Hop" kind of morphed into other genres and visa versa (genres are always constrictive imo anyway).

I think Dub is really experiencing a resurgence, it seems like a lot of people are getting into it through Burial and from what i gather it always been big in the UK.

There seem to be elements of down tempo/experimental/trip hop in more and more electronic genres right now.

Its all good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    hm, well i only checked out Third (which i thought was a return to form, and all over a good album)

Is Tricky's latest that good? Council Estate isnt my style at all.

I think "Trip Hop" kind of morphed into other genres and visa versa (genres are always constrictive imo anyway).

I think Dub is really experiencing a resurgence, it seems like a lot of people are getting into it through Burial and from what i gather it always been big in the UK.

There seem to be elements of down tempo/experimental/trip hop in more and more electronic genres right now.

Its all good to me.
    Tricky's is pretty decent. There are a lot of good songs scattered on the album but I'd fall short of calling it excellent just because it seems more like a compilation of Tricky's strengths than a self-contained piece. Puppy Toy is like rock-tinged lounge, Bacative has a big ragga influence, while Joseph, Veronika, School Gates and some other songs sound ripped from the early Trip-Hop period. Definitely check out Past Mistake.

I tend to think of Trip-Hop more as a period, rather than style, of British Hip-Hop. I think it takes elements of sampling and rhythm from Hip-Hop and the artists involved (I'd say Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead & Bjork for a start) used Hip-Hop in different ways.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

I'll have a look at Tricky's latest then , i honestly havent felt anything from him since Maxinquaye.

I feel you on the last point.

But i think that vibe is still present in a lot of music right now.

There's always the scope for music that's kind of downtempo and dreamy in almost any genre.

I was listening to Booka Shade's latest album (i think its probably their weakest, but its still good) over the last week, and tracks like 'Solo City' remind me of that vibe.

check out Dj Krush, he makes great trip hop beats..

Yes he does.

so what would you guys say are the top 5, 10, quintessential, must own, Trip-Hop records?

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-DON View Post
    so what would you guys say are the top 5, 10, quintessential, must own, Trip-Hop records?
    Start with DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing", then follow up with Portishead's "Dummy".