Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the Clan realise they just blew their last chance?

Default Does the Clan realise they just blew their last chance?

I was replying to a post about Wu-Tang on SOHH and this thought popped in my head, and I figured here was the best place to expand on it.

Do you think they know that that's it? There are no more options for them to come back from the position they're in right now, as an old school group who make the same music over and over.

RZA gave them a new sound and what I think he hoped was a new direction to take the music into and they couldn't even get along long enough to promote it. These people act like they're musical geniuses when they can barely make what can be considered an album without that one man overseeing it. They couldn't even follow his lead long enough to shoot a goddamn video covering a Beatles song with Erykah fucking Badu - who, by the way, sold over 100k first week with one of the most non-commercial, non-traditional albums in years - and George Harrison's son and John Frusciante. Yet Ghostface can spare the time and the budget to shoot a video for CELEBRATE, an awful song and a terrible pick for a single.

Regardless of whether or not RZA had the right idea with what he was doing, the rest of the Clan decided instead to rely on their back catalogue for the 8 Diagrams tour and judging from some of the posts on this board and others, they're boring as fucking batshit while doing it. I mean, here's a group of people that have spent 10 years running away from their classic sound - they've always talked about how you can never stay the same and how tastes and sounds change with maturity and age but when RZA produces a work that stays true to the gritty, musical and artistic aesthetic of the old work while creating something different and interesting suddenly they need some traditional shit? Suddenly there has to be a Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang.

Why didn't Raekwon do this on Immobilarity or Lex Diamond? Why is it the Ice Water album is so pathetic when he thinks he can do such a bang-up job creating a record? Why hasn't Deck stayed true to his own comments in interviews? Most of his music is generic NY shit in the most literal sense of the word.

Here's the best part though - 8 Diagrams sold something like 150k records and Big Doe Rehab hasn't even cracked 100k in sales. Ghostface had the bigger budget, recorded a video and actually aimed at the club charts with his single - all the while creating an album so musically close to Supreme Clientele but lacking the perfect conditions in the recording and release of that album, but 8 Diagrams, the album only RZA actually gave a fuck about, still sold more?

Sounds like the Clan put their fate in the wrong hands and lost their last shot at relevance.
    Last edited by Dr Zayus; 03-25-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

yeah they're done as a group. 8 diagrams isnt what wu-tang clan needed. its okay to change but you have to change for the better, not for the worse. Rza shouldnt have went forward with something that all the other members didnt want and the other members shouldnt have put darts down on music they didnt like.

seriously though, if they didnt like the music why did they even step foot inside the studio to record? they did it to themselves.

when's that new bronze album dropping?
    Christianity = White Supremacy

I agree with Dr. Zayus, good points. With the right promotion and advertisment, as singles i think 'The Heart Gently Weeps' and 'Stick Me For My Riches' would have done well. Their commercial sounding without being commercial, and at the same time retaining entegrity. If they could have just seen this, things may have been different. When it comes to PR, the Wu suck, and they've suffered because of it

Quote Originally Posted by wadedigital36 View Post
    yeah they're done as a group. 8 diagrams isnt what wu-tang clan needed. its okay to change but you have to change for the better, not for the worse. Rza shouldnt have went forward with something that all the other members didnt want and the other members shouldnt have put darts down on music they didnt like.

seriously though, if they didnt like the music why did they even step foot inside the studio to record? they did it to themselves.

No matter what they do as a group from now on, I can't respect people who can't see the obvious when it's screaming in their face.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

agreed.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

anyone heard the Ludacris track talking about break ups where he mentions Wu-Tang?

sad day for all of us, shit is over
    "The skywalker, that be leapin' over planets"

nas lost

I love the music on 8 Diagrams but i'm sure the beats for many of the songs sounded different when the members recorded them. "Thug World" and "Heart Gently Weeps" are the examples of this that we know of, but I guess that RZA gave them basic shit like that to rhyme over and then he went back and put on all the live instruments and shit on top of that. I see where you coming from though..

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

ILLadelph (but just moved to Ft.Lauderdale)

well fucking said, zayus!!!!
    i agree w/ about 90% of what u said, especially about GFK (haha, LOL)(never thought i'd laugh at GFK like that). but i dont think BDR was anything like clientele, musically.
    and i think meth, ugod, MK, gza, rae, INS & rza all cared about 8D. i think they all put in superb efforts. they were lyrically incredible, and i love most of the beats. even if rae did bash the production after the fact, he still deserves props for what he did lyrically. he did put in 100% effort in the booth.
    **FYI...i do think that w/ the way rae is rhyming right now, that if he let rza control the production & direction of OB4CL2 that it def would be as close to as classic as part 1 was.**

as far as them being definitely over though....i dont think so. tell me, if they do another album that they ALL love and promote as being THAT album that satisfies all fans' disappointments over the past 7 yrs...will u not cop it??? would everyone else on here ignore it??? i think all wu fans will always give them a chance. our thirst will never be quenched. we'll always want wu, and continue to hold out hope for what we all individually, selfishly want.

armynavyairforcemarines Sgt Holly Wood's Avatar

all i gotta say is that 8diagrams was a real pathetic album, but they may still have chances if they get their shit together and stop bitchin at each other over dumb shit

anyways yo t gambino shit on ur sig is fucking marvelous my nigga!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zayus View Post
    I was replying to a post about Wu-Tang on SOHH and this thought popped in my head, and I figured here was the best place to expand on it.

Do you think they know that that's it? There are no more options for them to come back from the position they're in right now, as an old school group who make the same music over and over.

RZA gave them a new sound and what I think he hoped was a new direction to take the music into and they couldn't even get along long enough to promote it. These people act like they're musical geniuses when they can barely make what can be considered an album without that one man overseeing it. They couldn't even follow his lead long enough to shoot a goddamn video covering a Beatles song with Erykah fucking Badu - who, by the way, sold over 100k first week with one of the most non-commercial, non-traditional albums in years - and George Harrison's son and John Frusciante. Yet Ghostface can spare the time and the budget to shoot a video for CELEBRATE, an awful song and a terrible pick for a single.

Regardless of whether or not RZA had the right idea with what he was doing, the rest of the Clan decided instead to rely on their back catalogue for the 8 Diagrams tour and judging from some of the posts on this board and others, they're boring as fucking batshit while doing it. I mean, here's a group of people that have spent 10 years running away from their classic sound - they've always talked about how you can never stay the same and how tastes and sounds change with maturity and age but when RZA produces a work that stays true to the gritty, musical and artistic aesthetic of the old work while creating something different and interesting suddenly they need some traditional shit? Suddenly there has to be a Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang.

Why didn't Raekwon do this on Immobilarity or Lex Diamond? Why is it the Ice Water album is so pathetic when he thinks he can do such a bang-up job creating a record? Why hasn't Deck stayed true to his own comments in interviews? Most of his music is generic NY shit in the most literal sense of the word.

Here's the best part though - 8 Diagrams sold something like 150k records and Big Doe Rehab hasn't even cracked 100k in sales. Ghostface had the bigger budget, recorded a video and actually aimed at the club charts with his single - all the while creating an album so musically close to Supreme Clientele but lacking the perfect conditions in the recording and release of that album, but 8 Diagrams, the album only RZA actually gave a fuck about, still sold more?

Sounds like the Clan put their fate in the wrong hands and lost their last shot at relevance.

give more rep points to this man.

I just can't believe Ghost shot that low budget vid with Styles P and 8 Diagrams couldn't even get a video.

The Real Tony Starks starkeylove's Avatar

if they wanted platinum status for 8D - alls they had to do was one thing:

Video for HGW
    - Badu/Common fans would dig it
    - You got the MF beatle connection
    - Chili pepper Frusciante has a following
    - Wu fans on their own that made up the 150K sales

but nope, they phucked up! ghost and rae thought they were cool dissing their own product. I'm a ghost fan, but he's not the most intelligent cat.

btw, a video for windmill to follow-up HGW would've put them over the top...showing they still got it...not showing us, but the rest of the world who has forgotten WU
    STARKS AKA IRONMAN!

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

they'll never hit the heights of the 93-97 era... but they've already cemented a legacy in hip hop... the wu (like krs one, public enemy or kool g rap) have a large enough following to keep releasing albums and keep making money for a few more years yet... but they won't strike oil...