View Poll Results: Where did we come from ????

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • We came from monkeys

4 33.33%
  • We came from aliens

1 8.33%
  • We are all part of RZA's "5 billion year plan"

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apes ????

But The Stove Was Off... 6² Chambaz's Avatar

Default Apes ????

If we came from apes, then according to the natural selection theory, modern apes should've all vanished from the face of the Earth hundreds of thousands years ago. I mean if an ape began to evolve and evolved into two species, then the best adapted species should continue to reproduce, while the less adapted species' reproduction should decrease. Any thoughts ??? My only thought is that this didn't happen only because Man started to move away from the animal world and build his own society, paying little attention to his fellow animal brethren. Am I right, wrong, what are your thoughts ????

Veteran Member

Theory of darwinism.

Veteran Member

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_people_...ere_still_apes

Why there are Still Apes
    Some people will say that man did not evolve from apes at all, we were created by God in His own image. However, this is a science question -- a question about evolution -- not a question about faith or religion.

Human beings (homo sapiens) are a species of ape. Humans and other apes share a common ape or ape-like ancestor.

A species only evolves to help it in its survival. The apes' ancestors could survive being an ape so they didn't continue to evolve, whereas our ancestors kept evolving to help them stay alive. Survival of the fittest is what drives evolution, and our ancestors just happened to "need" evolution more than the apes.

Apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor. This ancestor split up and evolved into different species, one became erect and the other continued as it was.

Humans didn't evolve from apes; rather, we and apes evolved from a common ancestor (who is no longer with us, but has been identified in fossil form). The relationship is more like cousins than parent-child.

There are still apes because some apes did not evolve into people. If rocks are crushed into stones, why are there still rocks? There are still rocks because some rocks did not get crushed into stones.

Different species have evolved according to the conditions and ecological niches they find themselves in. Speciation occurs when a subtle change confers an advantage on a given population.
    Let's think of a simple example:

If the world were suddenly covered in snow, and polar bear-type predators invaded everywhere, it stands to reason that they'd be more likely to eat dark coloured animals which they could see more easily.

That would give an advantage to animals which, by chance and *not* design, happened to be white. Animals of a usually black type which happened by chance to be *partly* white might also escape the bears. They would then be most likely to breed, passing on the white genes to their offspring.

Over time, all animals would become white, as the ones least suited to their environment were weeded out. Some species which were unable, by chance, to adapt, would go extinct as the polar bears ate the lot of them.

This is a very simplistic explanation. Organisms do not "choose" to evolve, they evolve by a series of chance mutations.

So, humans have evolved in a different way to chimps, gorillas and orangutans because the requirements of the environment we found ourselves in were different. It was an advantage for us to go in the direction we went, just as it was for the other apes.

I would like to clarify a mistaken point on evolution stated previously in this series of responses. It was said that is humans were placed in a cold climate we would grow more hair and these genes would be passed on. Well, that answer is half-right but severely flawed. As Lemarck taughts us in his failures "aquired traits are NOT heritable". So if a little haired person were to grow hair then reproduce the offspring would not be inclined by their genes to have a heavy amount of hair. That was aquired by theparent and is completely seperate from geneitcs.
    Rather, evoultion and adaptation work randomly. The mutation to create more hair would be random in a population so some humans in the group would have more hair by nature (genetically). This individuals would in turn have a greater chance for survival in the cold environment. As the are selected for by nature their percentages will increase. More of the hairier humans will survive to reproduce and their children will be genetically driven to be hairier. That is just one of the marvalious and logical ways evolution in our nature world occurs.

Evolution is simply a random series of slight genetic mutations that over millions of years creates an entirely different species. For instance, say a tribe of fair skinned people traveled to a very hot climate, those people with darker skin would be more likely to survive thereby passing on there dark skinned genes and eventually weeding out the fair skinned people.

Evolution only occurs when it is necessary. Some apes evolved into man because either they moved to a new environment or their existing environment changed, making evolution necessary for survival. So, the apes who needed to adapt to their new environment through evolution to survive either did so or were wiped out (apparently, they changed, creating the human race), or stayed in a friendly environment, making evolution unnessessary and therefore, nonexistent (the apes in these conditions remained apes).

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    Theory of darwinism.
    The word "theory" in normal usage means a guess or a hunch. But in science, a "theory" is a belief that has been generally accepted by scientists as a result of actual experimentation and/or observation.

Theory of Gravity
    http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Fist View Post
    The word "theory" in normal usage means a guess or a hunch. But in science, a "theory" is a belief that has been generally accepted by scientists as a result of actual experimentation and/or observation.

Theory of Gravity
    http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm

So tell me how did scientist get a monkey to somehow evolve into a human?

How was it observed?

Can u provide me with a link to documentation of this experiment and/or observation?

But The Stove Was Off... 6² Chambaz's Avatar

How was it observed?

Can u provide me with a link to documentation of this experiment and/or observation?
    No, but there are fucking loads of evidence, but my favorite and the most practical is comparison of old fossils with modern skeletons

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by 36Chambaz View Post
    No, but there are fucking loads of evidence, but my favorite and the most practical is comparison of old fossils with modern skeletons

So no experiment took place?

That's not too scientific is it?

Veteran Member

First a quick review of what is an ape and what is a monkey.

Ape= no tail
    Monkey= tail

Also, important issues that I don't want to go into here but would make a pretty big difference to the question of evolution.

How was it observed?

There's a ton of stuff out there and I've already researched this for myself years ago, so I'm not interested in searching for all of it again from scratch just to prove it to you when I have homework to do. Here's what I could find in ten minutes:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/
    http://www.becominghuman.org/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_...on/index.shtml

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Don't be silly, god made us all.

And you don't need proof, you just need faith.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Fist View Post
    First a quick review of what is an ape and what is a monkey.

Ape= no tail
    Monkey= tail

Also, important issues that I don't want to go into here but would make a pretty big difference to the question of evolution.

There's a ton of stuff out there and I've already researched this for myself years ago, so I'm not interested in searching for all of it again from scratch just to prove it to you when I have homework to do. Here's what I could find in ten minutes:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/
    http://www.becominghuman.org/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_...on/index.shtml

Your links do not have definite proof of evolution. And even if scientists found fossils of apes that walked upright, does not imply that they were our ancestors. It just means that they were apes that walked upright.

^^ You're never gonna get definate proof of anything though.

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
    ^^ You're never gonna get definate proof of anything though.
    You mean in general or about the topic of this thread?

Well I was talking about the topic of this thread, but to be honest unless you see evidence for yourself and have the knowledge based on your own experiences etc. to study the evidence, almost everything you know in life is actually just you placing your trust in what someone else has told you.

Obviouslly there's no other way it could be though.

Veteran Member

Understood. I believe your correct. One should not believe stuff just cuz someone said it; confirm it for yourself.

^^ Ah but that's the problem, you can't. Even if you were to study for years in order to gain the knowledge needed to prove something scientific that had been claimed for yourself, you would most likely have learnt based on other people's teachings anyway.

It's just the way it has to be. Life's not about what you know, but who you choose to trust.