3 23.08%

6 46.15%

2 15.38%

1 7.69%

Thread: Guilty Simpson - Ode To Da Ghetto

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Guilty Simpson - Ode To Da Ghetto

47 looks and no comments?
    Well this is the best new album i bought in a while, Simpson got an ill voice and those bangin tech funk shit goin on

wuswordz95

i previewed it sound sick

armynavyairforcemarines Sgt Holly Wood's Avatar

gotta check it out

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

dope!!! black milk been holdin detroit down with tracks(imo)since j dilla died(r.i.p)

Just picked this, so im not gonna give a review yet, but it does sound dope, some of the beats sounded a bit left field but i expect nothing else from Madlib

It was OK. Kill Em and Run were both hot tracks. I am not the biggest Guilty Simpson fan, but this CD just did not impress me overall.

I bought it but returned it a while later, it's not an album i'll be listening again.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Suga Duga

average album, simpson came wack, some beats are fire

Quote Originally Posted by The GFX View Post
    average album, simpson came wack, some beats are fire
    co-sign. i'm not really feelings his raps, his flow stays the same for most songs and he seems like he's just an average rapper. he does get some sick beats though.
    ]browndogg*]

Rapreviews gave this a 10/10. What the hell, that site has been slipping lately. Anyways the album has it's bad, average & good tracks. Like most has said in this thread - "his flow may be appealing hearing him on a guest feature, but not for a full album". This is his first album though, I can see improvement in the future (changing it up for a few tracks).

Top 5: She Won't Stay At Home, The Future, Run, The Real Me, Kill Em
    Grade: (3/5) B-

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RynMur View Post
    Rapreviews gave this a 10/10. What the hell, that site has been slipping lately. Anyways the album has it's bad, average & good tracks. Like most has said in this thread - "his flow may be appealing hearing him on a guest feature, but not for a full album". This is his first album though, I can see improvement in the future (changing it up for a few tracks).

Top 5: She Won't Stay At Home, The Future, Run, The Real Me, Kill Em
    Grade: (3/5) B-
    here is my review from a site i work for:

Guilty Simpson is a name you would think is something straight out of horror movie with his mixtape “Stray Bullets” giving him a platform before his highly anticipated album dropped. And all while still being Co-signed by Jay Dee (aka J Dilla) and Maldlib both ride hard for him beat wise on his debut album aptly titled “Ode to the Ghetto”. With already having some promising guest spots on J Dilla’s “The Shining” and Black Milk’s “Popular Demand” albums gave him a audience to secure while also working his pre-album J Dilla-assisted single “Man’s World” (that didn’t make the album”.As Ode to the Ghetto opens with the Madlib produced “The American Dream” where Guilty flips his struggle into a cinematic view of what he went through hailing from Detroit and what the ghetto meant to him. As you dive right into songs like “Robbery” which sounds like a remix for an old Bob Marley track that Guilty just flexes his monotone flow and gives the track some missing energy. While other songs “Footwork”, “Getting Bitches”, “The Future” (featuring MED) and “I Must Love You” all demonstrate his style of weaving intricate tales of the ghetto into listenable music instead of glorification of what isn’t cool to simply glorify.

And I think Guilty Simpson’s lyrics shines through in everything he does because he’s meticulous in how he constructs his verses especially when its serious topics like profiling and why the hood doesn’t like the cops or simply known as “Pigs”. And “Pigs” is a lyrical track that might be short in length and is beautifully crafted Madlib track. One of the most standout tracks on this album has to be the most anticipated collaboration with Sean P!!!!!!!!! aka Sean Price aka Ruck via Heltah Skeltah and you know what he does when he drops his verses. And lyrically these two lyrical monsters are only separated and united by Black Milk production. And that production by Black Milk provides you the rummage of deep hard snare drums wit coupled synth keys but mainly the drums drive the track. One of the highlights of this album is the lack of skits and I applaud Guilty and Stones Throw for not bloating the album wit more filler and this album complete took the phrase “trim the fat” a little bit literally which is giving what the people want is music and nothing to interfere with that enjoyment.

Not I might be going on a limb but if Nas’ greatest effort was Illmatic and Eminem’s is “The Marshall Mathers LP” what happens when you get someone wit a imagination that comes from the “D” and comes with an aggressive monotone flow that could give Guru a run for his money. Overall Guilty hits allot of runs out the park with so many lyrics gems I don’t know if I should give him the classic stamp only due to time will tell but I will say this is a 4 ½ stars with barely no missteps lyrically or production wise. If you love the afforded mention emcees or any of Guilty’s signature lyrics then pick this up, you’ll be thoroughly impressed by the quality.
    Last edited by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS; 05-24-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Yeah wtf at rap.reviews giving it 10/10??? So their comparing it to Illmatic, 36 chamberz etc? I didnt really like this at all, some beats are dope, but Simpson is nothing special

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

found the album very boring.

I just started listening to this album again, and i have to say i completly change my opinion of it. This is a great album, production is banging throughout, and Guilty is dope on the mic. At first i thought his lyrics were pretty wack, and while they wont blow you away and are quite simplistic, thats where the genious lies. Tracks like "Robbery" show some nice wordplay and lines that catch you without over complicating things.

Simpsons greatest asset is his powerful voice, and the way he flows so effortlessy over these beats. He doesnt exactly switch it up as such, but its dynamic enough by itself to over each beat without becoming monotonus.

Did i mention the beats are fuckin BANGING?

Great album, and one worth revisiting if your opinion was like mine when i first heard it.