Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ps3...

Only reason to get 60GB PS3 is for the better PS2 backwards compatibility. The newer 80GB uses emulation as opposed to the 20GB and 60GB PS3s using the emotion engine chip.

Still, the hardrives can be replaced and PS2s are cheap so get a 40GB and a PS2 if you want PS2 games that bad. Or just find a used 20GB and replace the HD. Not sure if you save onto a external HD though... I should look into that.

Yea external hard drives work is PS3s.

Default Buying a PS3?

I want to discuss a few things that some people might not be aware of concerning the backward compatibility of PS3 models. I could be wrong on some of these issues but I tried my best to do my research because I'm looking into buying a PS3 myself so PS3 owners please feel free to chime in with your own personal experiences...

It appears to me that the 40GB model is the worst because it doesn't have any Flash card readers, no Super Audio CD, it only has 2 USB ports instead of 4, and it has no PS2 compatibility! The reason why is because of the removal of a chip to cut Sony's production costs.

The 20GB (no longer in production) doesn't have Wi-Fi or Flash card readers but at least you can play your old PS2 & PS1 games on it.

The 20GB & the older 60GB (no longer in production) both had the Emotion Engine which is the CPU that the PS2 uses, so in other words PS2 games should play flawlessly on it.

The 80GB & the newer 60GB both got rid of the hardware to cut production cost and decided to use emulation software instead. From what I gather the bad news about that is it only plays around 70-80% of PS2 & PS1 games, often poorly with glitches. The good news is because the emulator is software it is updatable... So that means a good portion of these problems are being fixed. I just don't know how long they will update the software or to what extent they will update it but from what I hear with software emulation it is easier to add extra visual filter effects and stuff to make our older games look and play better. The question is… How much effort will they put into the backward compatibility issue?

From what I've heard many games play appearingly well through the emulator. I've also heard others that had some issues on the 80 GB but not the 60GB which is just weird because they use the same emulation software.

Curious if a specific PS2 or PS1 game plays on the PS3 models in production right now? Here is a search engine on PlayStation’s site dedicated to determining the compatibility of your old games on the new PS3 consoles…

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I guess a list of all the games with problems on PS3 would look bad on their site... LoL. The thing that bothers me is it says right there on that site… “We are working with game publishers and peripheral manufacturers to develop the appropriate hardware to play peripheral-dedicated PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3. Ultimately, however, it will be up to those companies to decide if they want to produce these peripherals to support this gameplay option.” … That doesn’t sound too good, it sounds like they want to go the whole Sega Genesis/Sega CD/Sega Super 32X route and have an interlocking machine orgy… The worst part is they are leaving it up to other companies to decide if they want to produce this machine orgy… That’s not good, I better trust Sony to develop this awful idea then some other company that might make a product that will break every year. It makes me question again… How much effort will they put into the backward compatibility issue?
    Last edited by TheMASSIVE; 04-15-2008 at 03:21 PM.

I sold all my PS2 games.

I don't think you'll still want to play PS2 games when you get PS3 games.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

i might invest in 1 in the future
    dope if u can play ps2 games my ps2 broke like a year ago and i wana play: need for speed underground 2 so much lol its jus sittinon my shelf

thanks for all the info anyway

The 40GB still plays PS1 games. The Emotion Engine chip is just for PS2 games. And yea, that was my thoughts on the emulator software. They'll eventually get the updates so it works well.

If a bunch of computer programmers can make a decent PS2 emu for the comp, Sony can make a working PS2 emu for the PS3. It'll just take time.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 04-15-2008 at 08:34 PM.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

I'm definatly getting one soon...

Veteran Member

Wait until MGS4. I think its got like 70+ weapons in it.
    The, U. NY Knicks. NY Jets. NY Mets. > Ur teams = The Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
    The 40GB still plays PS1 games. The Emotion Engine chip is just for PS2 games. And yea, that was my thoughts on the emulator software. They'll eventually get the updates so it works well.

If a bunch of computer programmers can make a decent PS2 emu for the comp, Sony can make a working PS2 emu for the PS3. It'll just take time.
    they might just sit back and wait till someone comes up with one. The fact you can load your own OS should make it easy to hack, in the end its free research and development. Not sure if thats a fact or not, just seems plausible.

Support the Real. Click HERE

one thing i would like to see on the ps3, in the playstation store is events and sale things like the xbox 360 has. just this weekend there was a chessmaster live event which had stuff from hip-hop chess federation and you could win stuff. playstation needs more events like that and advertisements for in-game events aswell. also sale events like where some games are half off or something.
    IM THE BABY, GOTTA LOVE ME

Go to sleep when your tired and wake up at the same time everyday until you'r legs are more flexible for an intense fight with your local mail carrier

the 60 GB plays more because it has the actual lens for the ps2/ps1 games, so im told

Throw Ya W's Up!
    Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

X-box has better online service, which is why it is a pay service.

Prince Rai

i think sony is working on making the online world a better place.

"home" looks dope, and should be up and running soon!! besides, when mgs4 comes out, the online multiplayer mode on that ought to be dopage. xbox folk cant beat that. they will revert back to the "yeah..yeahhh b.b..but we got HALOOO!!"

^^CO-muthaaaa fuckin sign... MGS4

octocon out.. hahaha

Throw Ya W's Up!
    Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy

with the PS3 can you play music yuo've saved to the hard-drive while playing games? cus i wanna play skate to that. Xbox you can but PS3?
    suck my dick its the kid with the fat knob