Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your definition of "Freestyle"?

You are not your job Tyler Durden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Combatant View Post
    haha the funny thing is that when most emcees are rockin' a show, performing a written song, and they mess up, then they will finish it up with a freestyle...see, cuzz a real mc can mess up a lil, and fix it before anyone notices, and just keep right on freestyling...
    That is true.
    I saw ODB and Pras on Top of the Pops, (a show from England)
    and Pras was spittin the normal "Ghetto Superstar" lyrics but ODB was just throwin out lyrics from anywhere, I've tried to find that on youtube or something like that but I cant find it anywhere.

Ol Dirty GraveDiga I GOT A CHAMBER's Avatar

haha the funny thing is that when most emcees are rockin' a show, performing a written song, and they mess up, then they will finish it up with a freestyle...see, cuzz a real mc can mess up a lil, and fix it before anyone notices, and just keep right on freestyling...
    I AM THE KING OF THE FREE STYLERS AND I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF U CAN OR U CARNT DO IT DATS COOL ANY WAY
    Sword and mind must be united. Technique by itself is insufficient, and spriit alone is not enough

I AM HIPHOP

I recommend the documentary Freestyle: The Art Of Rhyme
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55138
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54919
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm not going post more pictures of my dick, Style. You guys can forget about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Some of ya'll that are having sex without condoms need to be careful because that shit ain't cool having sex with no condoms.

back in the day freestyle always meant off the top...
    not neccessarily......percee p's freestyles are lot of time old writtens, he even said in an interview tht hes not the greastest at improvising....also on the Freestyle: The art of rhyme documentary divine styler said tht he came from the school of nonconcept rhymes tht were written being freestyle.........the west coast was i think the first to expand on the idea of improv then it adapted in NY

Simply put... Top of the Dome.

A freestyle off the top of the dome should be in any emcee's profile.

It's disrespect if you call a written rhyme a freestyle, I mean if you an emcee you got to be versatile, written raps, songs, freestyle, this is hip hop.

east coast nigga's, west coast nigga's, if you a rapper, you better be able to go in at any time on any beat.

Peace

^^^ More specifically put, Peace.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

i'm just curious, cuzz out here on the west coast, freestyle means that it's strictly off the top, nothing that was scripted, rehearsed, or written...on the other hand, i've heard a few east coast rappers that say they're gonna spit a freestyle, but it ends up being some verse that they dropped on a mixtape or something...what's everybody else's take on it? and can any of y'all freestyle (west coast definition)?
    on the east coast it's the same but rappers that use reharched verses becuase they're not able lyrical to think because they have no imagination. but rappers like bis sometimes do pre-written once in blue moon but most of the time bis will rip some incredible shit so does joe buddens and krs one

MVP Of The Planet Enemy Combatant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    A freestyle off the top of the dome should be in any emcee's profile.

It's disrespect if you call a written rhyme a freestyle, I mean if you an emcee you got to be versatile, written raps, songs, freestyle, this is hip hop.

east coast nigga's, west coast nigga's, if you a rapper, you better be able to go in at any time on any beat.

Peace
    exactly, thank you...

y'all see what i'm sayin' doe, a few people that replied got it twisted...
    BABYLON SOON FALL
    "Ya see, I'm a Peaceful man, until you threaten my peace
    And if you mess with my Family, then I'm gettin' my piece"

freestyle = lyrical improvisation

if you're spitting something you wrote down before YOU ARE NOT FREESTYLING and those who call spitting secret writtens freestyling are WRONG!

'Section 9'

Freestyling is just line after a line after a line you've never written before,just like wade said,lyrical improvisation.

Original Nastukao Bucellito 136's Avatar

some people use the word freestyle when a mc spits over some random beats but i think a real freestyle is when a mc spits unwritten rhymes just like an improvisation
    if the verse is already written it's not a freestyle for me.

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Freestyle here in the uk means off the top. I'm pretty damn good at it too (even if I do say so myself).

To be fair though I can see why people use the word to mean battle type rhymes with no real meaning or anything. The word freestyle in any other context than hip-hop means a kind of open choice. Pretty far from hip-hop I know, but freestyle in swimming means whatever stroke you want, not make up a new stroke no one has ever done before. Or freestyle in wrestling meaning any style goes, no holds barred. Where obviously 'Off The Top' would strictly imply it's been made up on the spot. Most mcs that spit 'freestyles' meaning subjectless battle rap, don't claim it's off the top, they're just using the word to mean something different.
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 04-16-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Off the top of the head making it up as you go along, flowing about your surroundings

Quote Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
    Off the top of the head making it up as you go along, flowing about your surroundings

I would have said off the top of ya dome but yeah this boy ^^^ summed it up nicley....