7 38.89%

0 0%

1 5.56%

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MF Grimm - American Hunger

Default MF Grimm - American Hunger

What do you think?

Personally, 5... A Piece Of Strange, Poison Pen and this = 2006 is officially a good year for hip-hop

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

its brilliant, i didnt think anyone could pull off a triple album but grimm did it
    the funniest line on the album was

something something i was hell for real/ paralyzed, now im hell on wheels hahaha

or something like that but seriously great album

4.5 - Fantastic

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

grimm tore this shit up!!!!!!!!
    the college radio hit right now should be

watch out.. revolution or that song with block, mez and grimm..

it is called crazy!!!
    you want something done right, do it yourself

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

An absolute classic.

I was sceptical that a triple cd could be anything other than overblown and self indulgent, but he pulled it off. Even if the few tracks I don't really feel were removed there'd still be far more classic shit than you could fit on 2 cds.

Grimm writes some deep, moody and meaningful shit, but still rocks the odd posse cut to keep it bangin.

This album has a variety flows, beats and subject matters to keep me listening for many years.

5/5

Oh and what up Ravage? If that's you (usually is) then you tore it up on that M.I.C. cut (don't remember any names yet - too many!).
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 08-17-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

Default MF GRIMM - American Hunger

American Hunger

Artist: MF Grimm
    Title: American Hunger
    Rating:
    Reviewed by: Paine

MF Grimm has never had much time. His 2002 LP Downfall of Ibliys was recorded in a 24-hour stint before the Manhattan MC was carted off to jail. Shortly upon his release, the veteran writer recorded Digital Tears to mixed reviews in 2004. After two quiet years, MF Grimm applied his rapid work ethic to his greatest, most patient undertaking in ten years. American Hunger (Day By Day) is a three-disc album that's a return to Grimm's top shelf abilities in personal storytelling and street philosophy. This is a headphone rap essential.

Any three-disc album is hard to get through, let alone in the unprecedented Hip-Hop genre. Grimm takes it a step deeper when most of his rhymes center around regret and reformation, with glaring examples in "I Remember" and "When Faith is Lost." The rapper is so sincere that each of these experiences evokes genuine empathy, for he truly takes on a teacher's role in speaking to the youth. Disc Two holds some love records that compare well against his metaphoric classic "Life and Death." Grimm repeatedly objectifies things like man and woman, life and death, and even crime in a way that allows his writings to surpass simple stories and revelations, and truly become lessons. For this undertaking, PMD, Monsta Island Czars, and Large Professor check in. Extra P waxes his deep respect for Grimm on "United," 15 years after Grimm was supposed to be on "Live at the BBQ"-a cool moment.

The production is not nearly as high-profile as the guest MCs. However, Grimm takes big risks in his sound. "Agony," produced by Nate Denver, uses a quirky chorus that sounds more like Pigeon John or Blendcrafters than your grimy, New York alley-way rap. DJ Crucial, out of St. Louis, shines frequently amidst the 60 tracks. Lots of scratches, carefully selected samples, and early ‘90s percussion show Grimm in his best light. "Ten Stories," "Unified," and "Children of Abel" all fit into this quality. Whether mashing with Rock or traditional kicks and snares, Grimm refuses to allow his triple-disc to get lyrically or musically redundant.

American Hunger lives up to its name. This sonic smorgasbord looks at American policy, the American streets, and the stained fibers of the American past. Though the music is peppier than many MF Grimm fans are used to, this still furthers the MC's knack for speaking intimately to his audience. With sung choruses, Rock influences, and more extended-metaphors, this also serves as Grimm's most liberated artistic album to date. While it lacks the suffocation of Downfall of Ibliys, it more than triples its sophistication. MF Grimm is making noise 'cause the dude is sayin' something.

THIS album has kept me listening since I got a few months ago...I BELIEVE THIS ALBUM IS CLASSIC!

Anyone else like this album?

Veteran Member

yeh this a classic no doubt haters on this album should wake up
    Last edited by Ink Is My Drink; 10-23-2006 at 04:17 PM.

MF Grimm feeds the Hungry
    Written by Jeff
    Wednesday, August 16th, 2006 at 5:54 pm
    Category: Rappin, Music, Artists

There are few MCs in the underground nation that have the raw talent that MF Grimm possesses. His former partner (and current feuding counterpart) MF Doom has been the number one stuna in the world of underground hip hop music since his rhymesayers entertainment release MM…Food took the world by storm. In addition to Doom’s first album with the RSE label, he managed to snag DJ Dangermouse (of the controversial Grey Album) for a collaboration entitled DangerDoom. The Dangerdoom album has stayed on top of the indie label charts for months. All of Doom’s newly found recognition has left MF (mad flows) Grimm in the dust. Until now……….

Grimm has done something that Michael Jackson, The Beatles and Shania Twain could not have pulled off. He has successfully released a triple disc album called American Hunger (that means 3 for all the kindergartners out there.) Three discs, is this dude crazy or just a prick? I don’t need three CDs that could easily be condensed into one LP and an EP a few months later.

Well let me assure you, these 3 discs have no filler and are BLAZIN with some of the undergrounds finest producers most firesome tracks. The album takes the form of the three essential elements to a well rounded day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner (get American HUNGER.) His raw emotion is laced over every beat. Let me reiterate, NO FILLER. Hell, I have single disc albums that are filled with skits and DJ interludes that are totally unnecessary. American hunger has twenty full length songs on each disc. That’s 60 bangers!!!! (I told you I didn’t smoke all my brain cellz away mom and dad.) This album features appearances from PMD of EPMD, Ill Bill of Non Phixion and Block Mcloud.

I know I have been all over the place with this review but this album has my head going to places I never knew existed. Let me make a suggestion. Roll up three phatties (one for each disc,) take three hours out of your day, push play, and relax.

MaimZ

i dunno, im still listening to it and i got it a while ago. i think the amount of tracks are unnecessary. still need to give it a few more listens before a fll review.

also, there is already a review thread on it. people should check the archive damn it.

reckon you could just merge them or something ben?

Quote Originally Posted by illstatiq. View Post
    also, there is already a review thread on it. people should check the archive damn it.

reckon you could just merge them or something ben?
    Yeah my Bad...I moved from the Sound Shack...I'll ask a mod that works this area to merge it for me...

illstatiq i felt the same way when I first got it but what I did was give it a real good listen the entire weekend then I chose the tracks I liked the most, then I made myself a compilation...deep meaningful music!!!

yeah ive got to do that, i never got to listen to the whole thing sort of all the way through, it took me like a weekend to get through breakfast lol. got to give it another shot.

Every track is called for. Grimm is changing and he is telling everybody why. He dropped everything you need to know on this album so that listeners would be comfortable with what is coming. If you love real hip-hop and aint got this album yet then you need to cop it. My favorite disc is the last supper. I could go on and on about the mysteries of these three disc but I understand this album fully. If somebody wants to discuss things besides it just being an outstanding collection then I will no doubt add on with you.

P.S. Ben , good job snaggin them reviews.

ok, my main problem right now isnt even the lyrics or message. just the beats and flow, i think it will grow on me cause i like some of grimms older stuff. sometimes something needs to be sonically great for a great message to be delivered.

the beats are all apart of experimental times to come. Wait till you hear whats next. Songs will break into pieces in the middle and then thump back into the groove only to transform into something else.