Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lupe Fiasco Explains Distaste For Gaudy Jewelry, Fame

Default Lupe Fiasco Explains Distaste For Gaudy Jewelry, Fame

Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco is obviously different from most of the rappers in the game. His fashion sense is different, but has been influential, alongside others like Kanye West and Pharrell. But what about his jewelry game, or rather his lack of?

While in the UK, the rapper chopped it up with BBC Radio's Tim Westwood, who called him out when he noticed the chain he was wearing. "That's a real weak ass chain dog. That's the thinnest chain I've ever seen man. Your chain game is weak," Westwood said to Lupe jokingly.

Lupe's response was simple -- he doesn't need all that.

"What you want me to walk around like Rick Ross?" the rapper asked. "I've been in this game for a very long time, and I gave all that stuff up when I was 19. Check the old videos. The old video cameos with Lupe Fiasco with two Rolexes on.

"My chain is weak, but my watch game is crazy though," he added, displaying his gold watch.

Westwood, however, wasn't impressed. "That watch is tidy man, but it's not really blinging in the hip-hop sense of the word."

Laughing, Lupe explained why the gaudy jewelry isn't needed, and simplicity is more his style.

"You don't need all that. It's overkill. That's overdoing it," said Lupe. "I like simplicity and subtlety. That commands more respect than a bunch of garbage in your face. ... You don't need ice, no diamonds. I'm sorry I had to come up here with the wack chain."

The Chicago rapper, whose sophomore album The Cool is in stores now, further explained why he's isn't overly flashy about money, and his outlook on being in the public eye.

"[Being famous] is a part of my life, this isn't my life," said Lupe. "People try to live their life out in these 5, 6, 10 years that they got the camera on them. They try to live they whole life through there and forget that they might live to be 90. Yea, you ballin' now, but you got 50, 60, 70... retirement plans and things of that nature. Retirement plans ain't just putting money up, that's making sure you have your sanity and everything when you walk up outta here."

"Some people get caught up in this life, and be dead. But this isn't my motivation. My motivation is far beyond being in... I don't even like being in the camera. ... I still got plans, I love hip-hop, but it isn't something where I wake up everyday like 'Yo, I need to go be on MTV, or BET.' It drains you. It's like syrup, you get addicted and committed to it and you start losing your mind out here. The money doesn't move me," he continued.

Fans can catch Lupe on Glow In The Dark Tour with Kanye West, Rihanna and N.E.R.D., which runs through June.
    http://www.streethop.com/forums/articles/119267.html

Damn, I agree with Lupe on this, I don't need that shit either.

-

Lupe is a smart guy. He's different from most young rappers today and that's good. I'm just glad he doesn't wear gay clothes like Common, Andre, Ceelo, Mos Def, QTip, Kanye West hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Is he even good? I didn't like that "Kick, Push" song and judged him off of that, but I did have the instrumental cause I liked it so much.

-

Kick Push song is decent. His albums Food And Liquor and The Cool sucked to me because of the beats but he's a good rapper. I can't believe he shitted on A Tribe Called Quest saying that he has no interest in listening to their albums and he doesn't wanna listen to other old school rappers albums. I'm very surprised he said that because i thought he would have a appreciation for old school rappers. That's what i don't like about these young rappers today. They have no appreciation and no respect for old school pioneers and that's not right. These young rappers got the nerve to be cocky and most of them wack muthafuckas suck LOL.

Oh so he said that? Doesn't he know that Big Daddy Kane would fucken kill him on any beat? I thought that he'd appreciate the pioneers, too, goes to show that Talib Kweli, Mos Def, & Common are the best of this type of rap.

-

Pharrell Williams wears gay clothes sometimes too hahahahahahahahaha. I don't know what's up with those rappers i named that wear gay clothes. Common, Andre, Ceelo, QTip, Mos Def didn't wear gay clothes when they were younger. I don't know why they started dressing different when they got older. Yeah King Tron 1, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Kool G Rap, KRS One would kill Lupe lyrically if he battled against any of them. These sorry ass young rappers need to learn to respect the old school rap pioneers because they could learn something from the old school heads on how real hip hop is done.

^^^ Sometimes?

-

What you mean sometimes?

Pharrell Williams "Sometimes" wears gay cloze. That shit had me laughin' since I've always seen him sportin' some gay pink sno cone shit.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Tron 1 View Post
    Damn, I agree with Lupe on this, I don't need that shit either.
    Me neither i gave my jewelery game up since i turned 21

-

LOL@what you said about Pharrell's clothes hahahahahahahahahaha.

But I might get some solid gold fangs, but that's about it.

Even though he doesn't wear chains, i don't think he's making a point cause he still goes around wearing that 1000$ t-shirt designer nonsense, it's the same in the end.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Everybody big experts on clothes.
    bring back begongo!!