Ah, yes Noel, however a lot of Lunar Park is tongue in cheek and outright lies.

I took that as a joke, in reference to rumours about his drug use at various stages of his career (in a similar way to the flippant drug use of Jay and him throughout Lunar Park).

Because, from what i remember he wrote it at college (not back in LA - additionally i can't remember if his family home was in LA, but i think he was living there at the time) and it took him longer than 4 weeks.

No doubt there is some truth in that drug use, but in my opinion it is exaggerated purposefully in order to lampoon his critics.

I guess neither of us will ever really know, but that was the way it came across to me.

There is a similar rumour about Jack Kerouac writing On The Road in a week on an amphetamine binge, which he subsequently debunked (although it was written on a giant manuscript of typywriter paper which he joined together)

Incidentally, Ellis seems to enjoy including errors in his books.

Re read some of the material from AP (particularly the parts where he reviews music) and there are several errors included (and i assume they are purposeful, because they are related to song names, lyrics and the like).

I'll have to look through and see what they were specifically.

His interpretation of the lyrics of Hip To Be Square is amusing and intentionally erroneous i assume (or maybe i just interpret Huey Lewis and The News lyrics incorrectly).

Rereading Ellis' books is very rewarding.

As an aside, Lunar Park was really good.

A lot of authors use so called 'post modern literary techniques' but Ellis employs them with skill and effortlessness it seems.

And he writing style and use of techniques is so varied.

Glamorama is the only book i can think of that i have read where the change in technique (i won't mention what it is, again, because you're reading it right now) was so seamless that i didn't even pick up when he started doing it, it just crept in.

Obviously the last paragraph i wrote is extremely confusing if you haven't read the book (maybe if you have read the book also).

Anyway, i see The Informers film is coming out soon, i have read some terrible reviews though.

Also apparently his next book is a sequel to Less Than Zero entitled Imperial Bedrooms.

I think it is coming out sometime next year.