• 3/5

12 19.35%
  • 4/5

24 38.71%
  • 5/5

19 30.65%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Killah Priest - Behind The Stained Glass

i've been bumpin this shit all week. i'm ready to go over it track by track:

01. I Believe - this track is nice, it's been on his myspace for a minute now so i already knew all the words and shit, i like his flow and the sample but it's extremely short. a strong intro though

02. 4 Tomorrow - this is def one of the best tracks of the album, i just wish he would spit more instead of all the talking at the end over the guitar line. the verses are mad deep and im feelin it.

03. A Crying Heart - any1 else think this best sounds almost the same as track two off the offering?? similar sounding horns. regardless this track is fire and is definitly where it should be on the album. bringing the energy level of the album up a notch from the last track, something i wish he would have done more in the latter half of the album...

04. Hood Nursery - this is that sick shit. heard an interview where he said this was recorded for offering but didnt make it, and that makes sense cause although i love the track it sounds slightly out of place.

05. Redemption (ft. Jeni Fujita)- i enjoy this beat alot, and the chorus is on some spiritual soul-chant type shit. i don't know, it's alright.

06. Profits of Man (ft. 60 Second Assassin)- this was the first track i heard a few months back, i was feeling it then and even now it's probably one of the best on this joint. i wish 60 would've spit a verse or somethin but maybe im asking for too much??

07. The World - this is one of the tracks i dont like too much, not because of the lyrics, but the beat leaves something to be desired. when i heard this i started thinking about what people were sayin about the beats not being as good as the offering. i didn't wanna believe it but....

08. Vintage (Things We Shared) - another beat that kind of bores me. eh....

09. Looking Glass (ft. Allah Sun) - here's what i was talkin about earlier, at this point in the album i feel like we need some fist pumpin rebel music type shit, but we get whacked in the middle of the album with mid-tempo tracks with similar choruses.

10. I Am - again, not feelin the beat, the repetitive chorus thing is becoming a huge part of the album that i don't feel.

11. The Beloved (The Messenger) - finally i am reminded of why i was so excited for this album. the beat and the flow match up perfect, no complaints, and i love the shit with the reporter @ the end "step to the side miss....step to the side miss..."

12. Jeshurun (ft. Victorious) - priest blazes through this, providing the much needed tempo boost i was talkin about earlier. seriously the verses are crazy, cant say much more.

13. God's Time - more heat. finally a chorus worth spitting along to. the beat is nuts yo. priest is redeeming himself here and throughout the rest of the record.

14. Born 2 Die (ft. Victorious) - another fuckin' banger, high energy here and the 2nd verse is some deep spiritual shit i can definitly feel...the whole part that ends with "wow, let that save your thoughts." i had to rewind a few times.

15. O Emmanuel (ft. Zoom) - this is perfect placement for a joint like this. i can imagine a lot of heads not really liking this track, perhaps due to a lack of understanding of the subject matter. but it's tracks like these that i play on repeat and fill the air with thick clouds of smoke. beautiful singing by the female vocalist. i would be happy if the album ended here.

16. The End Is Coming - kinda seems like classic priest, in a good way. a good way to end the album/get us pumped for part 2 (which is almost done supposedly).

overall 8/10. i want to say 9 or 10/10 but that spot in the middle of the album bores me with 3 mediocre beats in a row. lyrics are 10/10 no doubt.

i feel what people sayin about he needs more guests, but i guess since this is supposed to be more of a deep spiritual and personal album, priest rocks this solo. also, he's got that new crew the g-ciples so i dont expect to hear from the typical priest guests anymore (no razah, maccabeez, horsemen). i think razah and priest are one of the best combos but aparently they ain't exactly cool right now (see priests journal on uhh.com for his explanation).

this album could benefit from better beats, a higher energy level in the middle of it, and maybe a guest spot or two to break up the monotony. but i'm only a fan and i'll take what i can get.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

^the "vintage" beat bored you? damn.................... i must b listenin to another song lol

"Vintage" and "Hood Nursery" was meant for "The Offering" I believe ("vintage" appeared on Prelude From The Offering as an exclusive from T.O.).

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by speakonitgod View Post
    ^the "vintage" beat bored you? damn.................... i must b listenin to another song lol

at the time of writing my review i had listened to the album over and over. i gave it a rest for a couple days and now when i play it back, i like different songs for different reasons. vintage beat is alright, maybe it's the chorus that bores me a little.

a lot of the tunes i said are boring, it's more becuz of the repetitive choruses. like "i am" - the beat is ok, but the chorus is lame IMO. the verses are tight though.
    "We Agreed To Send One To Swim From Lost To Found."

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Ok, it's been a week so i'll review.....
    1.I Believe
    This is an ok track, it's not bad but since I heard the beats on this album weren't all that great i knew something like this would turn up. You can tell what type of album this is going to be by this track. The beat is ok doesn't seem like much work was put into it. Priest spitting about politics and spiritual issues, i'm glad it's short though... 3.5/5

2.4 Tomorrow
    One of the best tracks on the album, the beat is on some calm shit. Priest goes in on some personal issues on here from his Sister(R.I.P.) to changes we must make, and the devil. Priest sounds serious he wants to make a change and he's making a statement on this one right here. He's gonna be the first to take a stand....G-Ciples no Diciples we not with the devil.... 4.5/5

3.A Crying Heart

Beat is cool, I love how priest opens up the track and just goes in "Led he who have sin, sin no more,Tired of kicking the door, shootouts, blood and gang wars, Chainsaws, tied up spouses, cocaine laws,Hawaiian outfits with SKs that bloodstain walls" sums up the whole track, he's really sending a message out..."I Only Fucks...With What's Real"...4/5

4.Hood Nursery
    I'm not feeling this joint right here, I get the whole concept of the track but i don't like how it turned out, the beat is weak, the LYRICS are on point though, it's something I don't like about this track... 3/5

5.Redemption
    I think this joint could've had a better hook, Priest is coming correct and I like the girl singing over his lyrics "It's like a flare burning in mid-air" that shit sounds hot, I don't like the last part "The meek shall inherit the earth...." it kinda messes up the vibe and Priest needs to stop tryna harmonize... 4/5

6.Profits of Man

This is the best track on this album. Beat is nice and Priest goes in on here, this is some real deep shit. His first verse is questioning man himself, we need to question ourselves...but the last verse is my favorite he just goes in "

from total strangers to best friends
    To best friends to brothers
    From brothers to never calling him again
    Their coffins descend, one flies to a place of peace
    The other Lake of Fire, Devils hauling you in
    As one began one ends, the Earth still spin
    We're hurt, tears in our shirt, spirit must transcend
    What do you think sleep is for?
    A deeper cause - preparing us
    For the other side till the Reaper calls
    Either or, we're breathing for try a reason
    Arrived rich but we're leaving poor
    Stand naked when you see the Lord
    I stand protected when I see his war
    Till I exit and I'm free to soar
    I'm embraced by space, though it's cloudy around me
    Its light weighs from a tree till they wither the brown leaves
    Bounty's of blessings, from my heavy mind
    To every rhyme I said, looking from Masada
    From the Church of Priest, the dark August
    Till he showed you the art on his Offering
    Oops, I call it the gift, Behind the Stained Glass
    It's a frame of my pad, I started this
    Release the toxins, breathe out the oxygen
    Now see how shocking you fools if you think the Saint will lose
    I say things that will make the picture and the paintings move
    Now after this ink this jewel, look..."

It's also great to be hearing 60 Sec at the end of here,
    this is just a classic.. 5/5

7.The World
    This is a wack cut right here. The beat is wack, that lil' voice is annoying, I don't like how this track turned out at all. 2.5/5

8.Vintage (Things We Share)

This is an ok track, Killah Priest just spitting dropping knowledge. The beat is cool, this is some average material, I can't really tell if he dissing Jay-Z & Snoop.... 3.5/5

9.Looking Glass
    This one right here had to grow on me, Priest is going in on here though "
    Dice games, liquor stores and pool halls, Money on the table, spot that Q-ball, Winner takes all, now rack 'em, The nine ball symbolizes the planets, The last ones to get the black one, To get 'em you have to crack 'em, Listen to this understanding, Absorb this is more than just gambling".... The beat is ok to, this is just some calm shit... 4/5

10. I Am
    This track is cool, I like the sound of the beat that comes in at 1:05. Priest just spitting his spiritual shit, nothing too special about the track. 4/5

11.The Beloved (The Messenger)

This joint right here is ok, I'm not really feeling the beat all like that though even though Priest does talk about some issues I don't know if he's talking about the gods in this line or not..."Brothers having a form of godliness, But disregarding their kids, What kind of God do you think you is?, Man you are how you live, Yeah, you know 1-20, But he has a home in the city, Reason why you're on the phone from Poughkeepsie"
    , nevertheless beat is boring. 3/5

12.Jeshurun
    I'm feeling this one right here, the beat is kinda more fast paced then the other slow joints, Killah priest opens up nice but Victorious just smashes this one right here, his delivery is on point which makes this joint a banger... 4.5/5

13.God's Time

This joint is ok, I don't really know what to think about this one, Priest has one line i'm not feeling "Washington - Watch Satan" that shit sounds made up and Priest has been doing alot of those before but this is the most suspect one...Beat is average... 3.5/5

14.Born To Die

This is a good joint, Priest is nice on here and Victorious flows on this joint nice, the beat is cool too. Something I can just bump to. 4.5/5

15. O Emmanuel (Zoom)

Beat on this track is trash, I actually listened to the lyrics and he is spitting some spaced out shit, but the beat is too trash for me, I think that killed the album the most. 3/5

16.The End Is Coming

This some dark shit, reminds me of "Til'Thee Angels Come" but a weaker version, it's ok for what it is though, plus it's only a bonus cut. 3/5

Lyrics - 4.5/5
    Beats - 3.5/5
    Overall - 3.5/5

Nothing too special about this joint. Priest is on his spiritual mode so don't expect no punchlines or battle raps. Beats are Average on this joint which really bought down the momentum of the album, I hope Pt.2 is NOT produced heavily by Dj Cotton. Half the album is good and the other half is weak, I must add that this album is very deep, you have to play this when you alone or chillin back for the night to get the full effect.****Overall 3.5/5****
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 01-19-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

as expected the album is growing on me for every spin, but it feels like the first half of the album is better than the later. the production on the last half sounds to much alike, they should have spread those tracks a little better. throwing in "profits of man" between "jeshurun" and "gods time" for example.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

every week i have a different joint i bump on this cd and right now it's born to die

heart to heart

Default i cant stop listening to this shit!!!!!!!

this album gets better each time it has so many jewls..i keep hearing new shit now..oemmanuel is some out of the body deep shit. flying into space never born type shit.....the crazy shit iz IAM my manafestion came, when u were hand to hand with satan and reigned/my crown rolled apound the gound im slain, (drizzlling rain) wait!!, my adreniline came, im still in the game, i arose like NEO, BEHOLD, meet me the sequel, for the people, the soaring eagle, fall like D-evil divinty, sentenced me, infinty, imagery is seen when i dream, my geans is like that of a king, but that energy leaves like a spiral of bibles, going up, its jacobs latter, god breaks up my matter, spiritual body is formed, so long, stop trying to hold on appearing white and gone like a snow storm/ beloved be not ignorant of this one thing, a day with lord is a 1000 years/ yards of blood miles of tears / clouds turn clear /,im finally there ,my minds prepared to climb thoes stairs/ to my distany/ my___body set it free/ the sprit alone let it be/ i got my weaponry/ secondly my 7th plane is heavenly, the unexplaned is shown to me /the mysteries/ the thrones im giving keys/ to the bottomless pit solomons wits the obivous man will marvel at this I WAS BORN LIKE THAT, I LIVE LIKE THAT FEEL ME, FREE SO LET IT BE IAM KING TRANSFORMED TO GOD OF WHO OF ME......thats some esoteric shit

Quote Originally Posted by speakonitgod View Post
    Just got done listening to the album for the first time around. Lyrically the album is SOLID. Nothing more can be said in that department. The beats are above average in my opinion, but I could see how some would be turned away by this type of production. Most of the standout tracks you guys have probably already heard. For me, they are "I Believe", "4 Tomorrow", "Profits of Man", and "Vintage". Do not skip the rest of the songs though, one of the best things about an artist like Priest is that his albums carry themselves rather well, conceptually, lyrically, however u wanna call it. 4/5.

Is the other way around dummy. BEats suck...PRiest above average lyrically.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

i'm done my review..
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Ok, it's been a week so i'll review.....
    1.I Believe
    This is an ok track, it's not bad but since I heard the beats on this album weren't all that great i knew something like this would turn up. You can tell what type of album this is going to be by this track. The beat is ok doesn't seem like much work was put into it. Priest spitting about politics and spiritual issues, i'm glad it's short though... 3.5/5

2.4 Tomorrow
    One of the best tracks on the album, the beat is on some calm shit. Priest goes in on some personal issues on here from his Sister(R.I.P.) to changes we must make, and the devil. Priest sounds serious he wants to make a change and he's making a statement on this one right here. He's gonna be the first to take a stand....G-Ciples no Diciples we not with the devil.... 4.5/5

3.A Crying Heart

Beat is cool, I love how priest opens up the track and just goes in "Led he who have sin, sin no more,Tired of kicking the door, shootouts, blood and gang wars, Chainsaws, tied up spouses, cocaine laws,Hawaiian outfits with SKs that bloodstain walls" sums up the whole track, he's really sending a message out..."I Only Fucks...With What's Real"...4/5

4.Hood Nursery
    I'm not feeling this joint right here, I get the whole concept of the track but i don't like how it turned out, the beat is weak, the LYRICS are on point though, it's something I don't like about this track... 3/5

5.Redemption
    I think this joint could've had a better hook, Priest is coming correct and I like the girl singing over his lyrics "It's like a flare burning in mid-air" that shit sounds hot, I don't like the last part "The meek shall inherit the earth...." it kinda messes up the vibe and Priest needs to stop tryna harmonize... 4/5

6.Profits of Man

This is the best track on this album. Beat is nice and Priest goes in on here, this is some real deep shit. His first verse is questioning man himself, we need to question ourselves...but the last verse is my favorite he just goes in "

from total strangers to best friends
    To best friends to brothers
    From brothers to never calling him again
    Their coffins descend, one flies to a place of peace
    The other Lake of Fire, Devils hauling you in
    As one began one ends, the Earth still spin
    We're hurt, tears in our shirt, spirit must transcend
    What do you think sleep is for?
    A deeper cause - preparing us
    For the other side till the Reaper calls
    Either or, we're breathing for try a reason
    Arrived rich but we're leaving poor
    Stand naked when you see the Lord
    I stand protected when I see his war
    Till I exit and I'm free to soar
    I'm embraced by space, though it's cloudy around me
    Its light weighs from a tree till they wither the brown leaves
    Bounty's of blessings, from my heavy mind
    To every rhyme I said, looking from Masada
    From the Church of Priest, the dark August
    Till he showed you the art on his Offering
    Oops, I call it the gift, Behind the Stained Glass
    It's a frame of my pad, I started this
    Release the toxins, breathe out the oxygen
    Now see how shocking you fools if you think the Saint will lose
    I say things that will make the picture and the paintings move
    Now after this ink this jewel, look..."

It's also great to be hearing 60 Sec at the end of here,
    this is just a classic.. 5/5

7.The World
    This is a wack cut right here. The beat is wack, that lil' voice is annoying, I don't like how this track turned out at all. 2.5/5

This is an ok track, Killah Priest just spitting dropping knowledge. The beat is cool, this is some average material, I can't really tell if he dissing Jay-Z & Snoop.... 3.5/5

9.Looking Glass
    This one right here had to grow on me, Priest is going in on here though "
    Dice games, liquor stores and pool halls, Money on the table, spot that Q-ball, Winner takes all, now rack 'em, The nine ball symbolizes the planets, The last ones to get the black one, To get 'em you have to crack 'em, Listen to this understanding, Absorb this is more than just gambling".... The beat is ok to, this is just some calm shit... 4/5

10. I Am
    This track is cool, I like the sound of the beat that comes in at 1:05. Priest just spitting his spiritual shit, nothing too special about the track. 4/5

This joint right here is ok, I'm not really feeling the beat all like that though even though Priest does talk about some issues I don't know if he's talking about the gods in this line or not..."Brothers having a form of godliness, But disregarding their kids, What kind of God do you think you is?, Man you are how you live, Yeah, you know 1-20, But he has a home in the city, Reason why you're on the phone from Poughkeepsie"
    , nevertheless beat is boring. 3/5

12.Jeshurun
    I'm feeling this one right here, the beat is kinda more fast paced then the other slow joints, Killah priest opens up nice but Victorious just smashes this one right here, his delivery is on point which makes this joint a banger... 4.5/5

13.God's Time

This joint is ok, I don't really know what to think about this one, Priest has one line i'm not feeling "Washington - Watch Satan" that shit sounds made up and Priest has been doing alot of those before but this is the most suspect one...Beat is average... 3.5/5

14.Born To Die

This is a good joint, Priest is nice on here and Victorious flows on this joint nice, the beat is cool too. Something I can just bump to. 4.5/5

15. O Emmanuel (Zoom)

Beat on this track is trash, I actually listened to the lyrics and he is spitting some spaced out shit, but the beat is too trash for me, I think that killed the album the most. 3/5

16.The End Is Coming

This some dark shit, reminds me of "Til'Thee Angels Come" but a weaker version, it's ok for what it is though, plus it's only a bonus cut. 3/5

Lyrics - 4.5/5
    Beats - 3/5
    Overall - 3.5/5

Nothing too special about this joint. Priest is on his spiritual mode so don't expect no punchlines or battle raps. Beats are Average on this joint which really bought down the momentum of the album, I hope Pt.2 is produced heavily by Dj Cotton. Half the album is good and the other half is weak.****Overall 3.5/5****

This review is as good as it gets...PROPS.

*Except for the review of Hood Nursery.... I actually think thats top 3 on the album.

5.Redemption

i really like the meek shall inherit the earth shit....but i gotta agree about cutting out the singing. priest is too good of an mc for that.

6.Profits of Man

This is the best track on this album. Beat is nice and Priest goes in on here, this is some real deep shit.

^^^i 100% agree

7.The World

i feel the same way and i always skip it. i feel the subject matter one hunnid....but not the way in which it's presented. most real priest fans like myself are familiar with the philosophies he reps....it's beating a dead horse.

i went from thinking this beat was boring to really feelin it, so maybe i'm kind of all over the place about my opinions.....and as to the "diss" i don't think he's tryin to diss them as specifically as it sounds, but it's more of a political line.

10. I Am

^^^ yup. i skip thru it almost every spin.

This joint right here is ok, I'm not really feeling the beat all like that though even though Priest does talk about some issues I don't know if he's talking about the gods in this line or not..."Brothers having a form of godliness, But disregarding their kids, What kind of God do you think you is?, Man you are how you live, Yeah, you know 1-20, But he has a home in the city, Reason why you're on the phone from Poughkeepsie"[/COLOR][/B][B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=White][FONT=Verdana] , nevertheless beat is boring. 3/5

i absolutely disagree with this beat being boring, i love it. his lyrics here are fuckin her-on!!! i love the lack of a chorus too. this is right up there with profits of a man as the purest hip-hop dope on the album.

15. O Emmanuel (Zoom)

the beat is trash for you?? i must be on another planter cause those g-ciple female background vocals are deeply haunting and st8 up beautiful. i can listen to this track on repeat 3 or 4 spins and still zone to it.

and in the end you said...

"Nothing too special about this joint. Priest is on his spiritual mode so don't expect no punchlines or battle raps...../"

DAMN!! i think the fact that he on his spiritual mode is what makes this album special. i would be extremely disapointed if the follow-up record to the offering was filled with punchlines and battle raps. shit would sound ridiculous after the knowledge he dropped in his past couple projects (black market, maccabeez, the offering). i think it's best to let priest follow his heart and make the music he wants to make......except.....

WITH ILLER BEATS !!!! (something we can all agree on, so it seems.)
    "We Agreed To Send One To Swim From Lost To Found."

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoSaidDate420 View Post
    5.Redemption

i really like the meek shall inherit the earth shit....but i gotta agree about cutting out the singing. priest is too good of an mc for that.

6.Profits of Man

This is the best track on this album. Beat is nice and Priest goes in on here, this is some real deep shit.

^^^i 100% agree

7.The World

i feel the same way and i always skip it. i feel the subject matter one hunnid....but not the way in which it's presented. most real priest fans like myself are familiar with the philosophies he reps....it's beating a dead horse.

i went from thinking this beat was boring to really feelin it, so maybe i'm kind of all over the place about my opinions.....and as to the "diss" i don't think he's tryin to diss them as specifically as it sounds, but it's more of a political line.

10. I Am

^^^ yup. i skip thru it almost every spin.

This joint right here is ok, I'm not really feeling the beat all like that though even though Priest does talk about some issues I don't know if he's talking about the gods in this line or not..."Brothers having a form of godliness, But disregarding their kids, What kind of God do you think you is?, Man you are how you live, Yeah, you know 1-20, But he has a home in the city, Reason why you're on the phone from Poughkeepsie"[/color][/b][b][font=Arial][color=White][font=Verdana] , nevertheless beat is boring. 3/5

i absolutely disagree with this beat being boring, i love it. his lyrics here are fuckin her-on!!! i love the lack of a chorus too. this is right up there with profits of a man as the purest hip-hop dope on the album.

15. O Emmanuel (Zoom)

the beat is trash for you?? i must be on another planter cause those g-ciple female background vocals are deeply haunting and st8 up beautiful. i can listen to this track on repeat 3 or 4 spins and still zone to it.

and in the end you said...

"Nothing too special about this joint. Priest is on his spiritual mode so don't expect no punchlines or battle raps...../"

DAMN!! i think the fact that he on his spiritual mode is what makes this album special. i would be extremely disapointed if the follow-up record to the offering was filled with punchlines and battle raps. shit would sound ridiculous after the knowledge he dropped in his past couple projects (black market, maccabeez, the offering). i think it's best to let priest follow his heart and make the music he wants to make......except.....

WITH ILLER BEATS !!!! (something we can all agree on, so it seems.)
    agreed he's on some next shit

BEATS AnD RhymeS Was ILL!!!!! All of em.

THis is better than Heavy Mental IMO.

"God's TIme" is the illest Beat.
    Last edited by INF; 06-01-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity tha God View Post
    BEATS AnD RhymeS Was ILL!!!!! All of em.

THis is better than Heavy Mental IMO.

"God's TIme" is the illest Beat.

I love it too. Completely different to Heavy Mental & The Offering but right up there with them.

For me

1. Heavy Mental (10/10)
    2. The Offering (10/10)
    3. Behind The Stained Glass (10/10)

BTSG is growing on me really quick. I think this could be Priests' best album. Unheard of that one person would drop three albums of such quality.
    Last edited by Trismegistos; 06-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.