• Clymax

2 15.38%
  • Infinity tha God

5 38.46%
  • Moose36

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 6 (Vote Here)

Imma give these all a listen after the Royals game and drop a review...

armynavyairforcemarines Sgt Holly Wood's Avatar

vote-complex

Schizo- this joint is pretty wild... I like the bass, kinda outshines the sample tho, drums are on point... nice sequence but could use some variation...

Erap- I knew someone was gonna sample that part... sounds good but again gets monotonous, grimey tho...

Tech- hits hard, and the sample gives it a sinister vibe... would have liked to see more outta this, solid shit tho..

Vamps- nice intro, melody comes in ill... laidback drums give this a zone out type of steez... switch up dope too, this my favorite so far...an mc could black out on this...

Oz- haha bonus points for that intro, this joint is hypnotic, I like the samplin, nice cuts, drums sound good... only thing is I think the bass melody clashes with the samplin, still soundin strong tho, ill concept right here...

Clymax- intro is dope, diggin the cuts here too.. we had a similar approach with this, I like how this makes smooth transitions... drums are crisp...

Infinity- ok I see you fam... this joint comes in with a classic sound, nice break, samplin dope too... this is fresh right here with the variations and filters... almost doin too much towards the end, but I like the switches as opposed to something bland... nice work...

Moose- maybe the most unique out the bunch.. comes in strong, kinda choppy but the switch is a nice changeup... bass is dope... I like the bounce on this, catchy...

aight so I narrowed it down to Vamps, Oz, and Infinity...

Vote- Devamps

nice flips this round by everyone tho....

Suggestion for the next few rounds... Everybody submits their beats to the host, and they all get posted up with no names next to them (to minimise on favouritism in the voting). So it would be: Beat 1, Beat 2 and vice versa. Ofcourse since we all our familiar with eachothers styles we will probably notice, but I think it will make this a little more exciteting... I mean the 2 sample submition seems to be really helping this tournament...anybody down with this??

I'm defiantly down with doing this on an anonymous level.

Seeing as my memory is messed up, and don’t remember any of the beats from the past battle, I’m assuming that everyone has similar entries this time around. I decided to switch my reviewing technique for this round. I’ll listen to each songs twice, then write about the lasting impression, then add more critique after listening to all of them once more.

Schizo-Manic – A Prayer For Serenity – I like this beat. If I wasn’t a beat aficionado, I’d probably wouldn’t bother with this type of beat, but since I am, I can easily say that this is gonna be another tough decision. I like the bass and the drums compliment each other. The “screeching” sounds heard throughout the song aren’t overused, I like that. He used them with some moderation, and didn’t go overboard with it. Overall a good beat. After hearing this once more, I noticed a different sound. Sounds like a voice, but can’t really decipher what it is. Nice addition to the beat.

Erap – Special Technique – Hahahaha, the special technique of shadowboxin’ sample, everyone here should know that sound. He even added the sound effects to go with it. I liked the slight drop with the drum solo at around 1 min. I thought that the “special technique” was used a bit randomly, idk maybe just me tho. I did like the beat overall, and the sound mimics the moment before everything is revealed, right before the climactic scene of a movie.

Technician – Nightmare – Alright let’s see what Técnico has in store this time around. I like the simplicity to the drums, and they were very effective for giving off a good lasting impression. The beat is nothing as the title suggests, but given the proper MC and they could convince me otherwise. Although it is relatively short, it does give off the proper vibe within the time allotted. Nothing further to discuss about this more than decent beat.

Devamps – Suspense – The Intro sounds something similar to a Madvillainy joint, but then the song changes pace and aims towards totally different terrain. I don’t know about the name of the song, since I was expecting something more of a hyper type of listen. You know something that gets you amped, almost to the point of tachycardia. Or maybe that’s the genius of the beat; it gives off a different tone towards the end, again calling back to the Madvillainy type of intro.

Complex – Fifty-Thousand – Complex got my vote last time, but I’m not playing favorites. Damn you made it hard not pick your beat, tho. Not that many people would’ve used the jazzy elements, let alone perfected the technique. This is something that Gangstarr and Jurassic 5 fans would enjoy, me being one of them. The percussions weren’t as calm as one would expect, but Black Moon has implemented the same style to perfection, so props on that. This beat really stands out among the rest due to its jazz-themed instrumentation.

Ozmosis – The Man Behind The Curtain – “I am Oz, the Great & Powerful, who are you?” Simple beat, but effective nonetheless. The sample at the beginning didn’t really fit into the theme of the song, but that’s okay it doesn’t really need to, that’s probably for song identification purposes. I do like the simple changes made throughout the entire song, and makes every next second worth listening to with great anticipation. This would definitely be a selection for the “introduciary” song of the album. “The Great Oz has spoken, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain” is what convinces me that this beat would fit flawlessly at the beginning, and would probably be the title of the album, if I’m not mistaken. I’m envisioning an album the entire time listening to the song, in case you wondering.

Clymax – Can’t Sleep – Since the link sent me to another page, I assume that this is the selected entry by Clymax. Yesterday’s New Quintet is the person that I think about when listening to this beat. The title of the song makes me believe that in a state of pure insomnia, this is what could come out as a result. Almost to say that you spent the entire night making this beat, and decided not to rest until 100% satisfied with the song. I do love the sound of this beat, and the way it comes into fruition within the first seconds of listening to it. The song does give off a nostalgic feeling, that being a retro-maniac myself, I can’t help but to give a listen again and again. The bassline is one to envy, since it is applied ideally with no error.

Infinity tha God – Time & Money – This is yet another Madvillainy type of sound, similar to Monkey Suite. I decided to do ignore the song that was playing and let the atmosphere take over, and I realized that the beat changed, and I thought that I had changed the song. You gotta love the same beat, but with different sounds coming in. Infinity opted to travel to Complex City and partake in some real estate there. The beginning of the song had me convinced that it was Madvillainy, but not after the beat changes. It’s almost like Five different beats put together. Damn you know you’ve got yourself a winner when the only error is a typographical one.

Moose36 – Collision – Two different beats with dynamic indications. I decided to listen to this one the most to make sure that Infinity’s beat didn’t get my vote until the last entry was heard, and I’m glad I did. The first rapidly enthused beat is strong, then almost like in a video game when your life bar flashes indicating that you’re about to die, the beat changes mood. Almost brings you into a cold atmospheric dimension. Then after your resurrection, it speeds up once more, almost to say your going out gunz a blazin’. Both parts were weak separately compared to the other entries, but put together and you’ve got yourself a tandem that would certainly win more than a few votes.

Once again, the battle was tough, but not without a victor. After giving them about two more listens each, I decide to vote for the song that motivates me the most to write verses to. That song was none other than Clymax’s. Although Infinity did come from a different angle, it would certainly place second. I don’t think he’d mind since he’s got the most votes right now.

haha peace tron. I didnt even noticed that I had a typo. "time amd money"

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis View Post
    I voted for Clymax's beat, its ill
    You're looking at the other voter...
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectahChek View Post
    Suggestion for the next few rounds... Everybody submits their beats to the host, and they all get posted up with no names next to them (to minimise on favouritism in the voting). So it would be: Beat 1, Beat 2 and vice versa. Ofcourse since we all our familiar with eachothers styles we will probably notice, but I think it will make this a little more exciteting... I mean the 2 sample submition seems to be really helping this tournament...anybody down with this??
    I wouldn't mind, after all the beats speak for themselves when I'm reviewing them, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity tha God View Post
    I'm defiantly down with doing this on an anonymous level.
    The only problem I see with this is production credits, although it seems that none here would take credit for someone else's creation. But I think that songs should have titles, just no authors. I reflect the songs off of their titles sometimes, and just having beat 1, beat 2, etc. would create some havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tron 1 View Post

The only problem I see with this is production credits, although it seems that none here would take credit for someone else's creation. But I think that songs should have titles, just no authors. I reflect the songs off of their titles sometimes, and just having beat 1, beat 2, etc. would create some havoc.

What we could do is just have the original names of the songs. I kinda like the numeric approach though cuz its like a taste test. Anyway , if we just have the names out there it aint nothin to worry about. ppl around here dont steal that much. We do have mf's that bite shit but they only come through once in a while or not at all. The snake mf's dont really participate in these battles.

Names or numbers , I think this is a great idea. Sometimes you just cant fight bias. It happens to everybody. By cutting the names of the artist out , you eliminate bias. I dont really think I have seen to much bias affecting the votes though. There was some close calls but nothing major. It always is what it is with these battles. Freshest is 1st place.

Yeah we can do names instead of numbers...and then after the voting deadline is done... the producers are revealed.

Word^

That's all I ask...

Quote Originally Posted by InspectahChek View Post
    Yeah we can do names instead of numbers...and then after the voting deadline is done... the producers are revealed.
    very good idea..
    https://www.youtube.com/xiliesfwnesofficial

plex and vamps.. plex already in the finals.. vote vamps.. easy...

and.. yall thinking too much on this.. it isnt favouritism..

"Yep"

it aint that its favoritism. we both said that. its just about a fresher way of doing shit.