Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Older God's Comic Book Thread

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Old Man Logan sounds interesting. I like story arcs that are set outside of the main continuity. I guess this could be an attempt at a sort of Dark Knight Returns style story for Wolverine. I'm gonna wait for all 8 parts before reading it though.

Here's an interview with Mark Millar about it:

Newsarama: Mark, to start with, what brought you back to Wolverine? Was this something that you wanted to do directly after “Enemy of the State” but were interrupted, or was this something that started up afterwards?

Mark Millar: Wolverine is a character I find very easy to write and it broke my heart leaving last time after just 13 issues. This story has been floating around my head for two years now and I just wanted to get it down on paper. I feel it's better than “Enemy of the State” and that's why I wanted to do it. This is the Wolverine story that I want to be remembered for.

NRAMA: “This is the Wolverine story that I want to be remembered for." Why's that? It would seem that “Enemy of the State” helped focus and redefine Logan's place in the Marvel U - playing "Civil War" in a microcosm for him, individually, that is, with a similar end result - no one really trusts him, and people - even his friends - are scared of him...what makes this story different that you want to be remembered for it instead of “EoS?”

MM: I love “Enemy of the State.” I feel it's one of the best things I've done. But I really think we've stumbled onto something very iconic here. In Frank Miller terms, it's our “Born Again”... an eight issue follow up to our popular run. I hesitate to say it's Wolverine's Dark Knight Returns, but that's the kind of energy we're shooting for here. We've just overloaded this thing with testosterone. It's a great big hairy chest and moustache of a comic.

NRAMA: Ah…right. So what is it for you and Wolverine? What about the character appeals to you? What is it about him that you see him in these types of stories?

MM: Sometimes it's not a coincidence when a character gets this famous. I think it's the best comic book creation of the last forty years. In fact, he's the only truly great one from Marvel or DC since 1965 or so.

NRAMA: As with Fantastic Four (in a way) you're returning to a character you've written previously, which always sets up the comparisons between your earlier work and your new work. Any worries about that with Wolverine, given that “EoS” was, in many ways, an "ultimate" Wolverine story?

MM: Not really. The two projects just feel really distinct to me. I might have felt differently if I'd been following on directly from the events of Enemy of the State, but an enormous amount of time (fifty years) exists between these two stories and they just smell so different. Logan himself is in a very different place by this point. He won't even acknowledge that he was in the X-Men. He'll only even answer to Logan. All he wants to do now is tend his far, play with his kids and eat supper with his wife. But his life never stays simple for too long. There's always some sod comes along and spoils everything and in this case it's The Hulk Gang.

NRAMA: We’ll get to them in a minute, but that said, did “EoS’” scope and setting influence this story's scope and setting, that is, did you want to move it out of the present day and present Marvel Universe continuity?

MM: Not entirely. I love the idea of Wolverine's solo book being stories from his present and past, but nobody's done the future yet so that seemed exciting. And I wanted it to be canon so I tied the story into Fantastic Four. Both are being published at the same time and since the FF have time-traveling capabilities anything is possible. The second FF storyline—“The Death of the Invisible Woman”-- is where this really kicks in.

NRAMA: And what came first - the desire to come back to Wolverine, or re-teaming with Steve? That is, did you always have another project with Steve lined up, or did you pitch doing Wolverine with Steve?

MM: Steve and I obviously wanted to work together again. Creatively we gelled well and even though he is Canadian we seem to click on a personal level. Also our last collaboration (Civil War) was the biggest selling book from either company in over a decade so it made sense to get together again. We talked about X-Men but the more I started to think about “Old Man Logan,” the more I couldn't see anyone else drawing this.

NRAMA: Let’s get into the story - what was the seed for this? What was responsible for the spark that resulted in this?

MM: Fantastic Four has a storyline which brings the characters into the future and so it seemed like the perfect time to cross over and finally do this Wolverine story that I'd been thinking about. I'm a great fan of Unforgiven and the notion of the killer who has turned his back on violence and this seemed like the perfect fit for Wolverine too.

NRAMA: When, specifically is the story set?

MM: The story is set more than fifty years in the future and it has been five decades since Wolverine last unleashed his claws. Something awful has happened when the Villains rose up and killed the Heroes. Something broke Wolverine and this is the mystery at the heart of our story.

NRAMA: What's the appeal of this setting for you, particularly this setting in the Marvel Universe?

MM: I'm a huge Marvel fan, a huge Unforgiven fan and a huge Mad Max fan. So I threw them all together and this thing wrote itself. I love the idea of the cobbled remains of the Marvel Universe... the flooded Baxter Building, the ruins of Xavier's mansion and so on. Visually, it could be something quite new and lots of fun to draw. We're so familiar with those iconic images like The Fantasti-Car so seeing a gang of radiation sick muties riding around in it and breast-feeding at 200 mph seems interesting to me. There's so many vile villains in this book. I feel we've outdone ourselves in terms of the bad guys. So, of course, it's going to be very satisfying when Logan gets pushed too far and pops those claws again.

NRAMA: So there’s no law in this future? No government, no SHIELD?

MM: SHIELD exists, but only on the East Coast in a city called New Babylon. This is the remains of New York and Washington and they're a masked secret police for the awful President we don't see until the second half of the story. The rest of the US is carved up between seven gangs of villains and their children and grandchildren. But it was mostly destroyed in the war between the heroes and villains. Each area is actually radically different. The new Kingpin, for example, runs a very different sector from Electro's family.

NRAMA: You mention that the villains rose up and killed the heroes? Are there any good guys left at all?

MM: Just a few scattered heroes dotted around, all old men and women with nothing left to offer. New heroes emerge, but they don't last long. Everyone's learned to keep their head down. But people are more focused on eating and staying alive by this point. Ecologically, the world is just absolutely broken and this also folds back into me and Hitchy's Fantastic Four.

NRAMA: Okay, so sketch out Wolverine when we first see him in #66 - who is he? You say he's broken...how? Body? Spirit? Is he still a scrapper?

MM: He's not a scrapper anymore. He's a guy who will see a fight, look sad and walk away. If someone spits in his face, he'll wipe it away and walk off, even if his kids are walking. But we know what he's capable. His teenage son thinks he's a failure, but his wife knows what he can do when the right buttons are pushed and is proud of the fact that he's turned his back on everything. She also knows exactly what happened to him on the night the heroes fell to the villains. So she's entirely sympathetic.

NRAMA: Who else will we be seeing in this story?

MM: Only a few Marvel Heroes are still alive and the story mainly focuses on their descendants. There's a new Kingpin for example and Spiderman's granddaughter, Spider-bitch, is a favorite but the characters I'm most excited about are the radiation sick sons and grandsons of the Hulk - and inbred, ugly, incestuous team of supervillains with a nod to The Hills Have Eyes.

NRAMA: Eu. Speaking of the Hulk's kids and descendants...what role do they serve in this new world? Besides the creepy factor…

MM: They're the ganglords for California. Banner is a bald old man living in the remains of the Playboy mansion and he's there with his sons and daughters and inbred gandchildren. Beau and Luke Hulk are the two terrifying enforcers giving Logan a huge amount of shit in the first issue. Steve has just knocked these villains out of the park.

NRAMA: Okay - we've got the setting, how Wolverine is in the future...will readers learn what happened to him in the past that "broke" him?

MM: Oh, yes. That's a huge deal in the story. It's the mystery that runs through the whole series and when we finally do reveal what happened...it doesn't disappoint.

NRAMA: And what gets the ball rolling in your first issue?

MM: The first issue of “Old Man Logan” kicks off with Logan at a nice place in his life. Despite everything that's happened and the horrors around him, he's carved out a quiet life as a farmer and is raising a family with a woman he loves. He's finally found the peace he's wanted his whole life. But of course that only lasts about 12 pages before trouble shows up and he's plunged into his most insane adventure ever. Do you really want to read eight issues of him farming?
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 07-24-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

I've foun first part (of 8) if someone is interested

http://rapidshare.com/files/12346255...Chung-DCP_.cbr

I'll add all the other parts here.

Wolverine v3 #67 - Old Man Logan Pt.2

http://rapidshare.com/files/13371737...08.noktiis.cbr
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 07-31-2008 at 03:15 AM.

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

If you could just make one post with Old Man Logan and update it, just like you did with Joker's Asylum. Could you do this?

Yeah that's cool. I have a source for quality scans of pretty much every new comic within a day of it's hitting the shelves. I'll keep both those up to date and Simon Dark too. If you've been looking for anything else then let me know.

i still love h.e.r. NAKHI the SOLORIAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyTheWonderDog View Post
    Yeah that's cool. I have a source for quality scans of pretty much every new comic within a day of it's hitting the shelves. I'll keep both those up to date and Simon Dark too. If you've been looking for anything else then let me know.

I think we have the same source..........lol

I will be getting back to uploading soon fellas, Lucky thanks for holdin this thread down for me..........

just tryin to inventory all my stuff and catalog everything on my pc and externals.....

click the sig if you vatican status

Peace Nakhi.

I have every single issue of each of the following in digital form:

Daredevil v2 (1998-2008)
    Ex Machina
    Y the Last Man
    Amazing Spider-Man v2 (1999-2008)
    Army Of Darkness (and Evil Dead)
    The Flash v2 (#1-#225)
    Batman - Contagion, Legacy, Cataclysm, Aftershock, Road to No Man's Land & No Man's Land (178 issues in total)

Anyone wants anything from the above then let me know.
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 07-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.

lmao at u guys still with the scans..yea as soon as i bought the first Old Man Logan comic i felt it would be really good.

lmao at Wolverine imagining to Gut that Hulk kid.

okay i am back I just about finished cataloging my stuff....I am going to do a run of DC stuff...

First up is a series that I slept on and to be honest it is pretty damn good:

Birds Of Prey:
    Birds of Prey is a comic book published by DC Comics that features the adventures of the superhero Oracle and her group of superheroines. The group is initially based in Gotham City and later operates in Metropolis and then once more to "Platinum Flats", California, a new locale introduced in Birds of Prey in 2008.
    The series was conceived by Jordan B. Gorfinkel and originally written by Chuck Dixon. Gail Simone scripted the comic from issue #56 to #108. Sean McKeever was originally to replace Simone [1][2], but McKeever has since decided to leave the project, and will only write issues #113-117; Tony Bedard, who wrote issues #109-112, will become the title's regular writer starting with issue #118. [3]. Artists have included Butch Guice, Greg Land, Ed Benes, and Joe Bennett; Nicola Scott began a stint as artist with issue #100.
    Despite the title of the series being Birds of Prey, the phrase is not mentioned in the book until issue #86, when one of the group's members, Zinda Blake, suggests that it might be a fitting name for the team. However, the other characters get sidetracked and do not respond to her suggestion. Oracle, the team's leader, refers to the group by that name in a conversation with the new Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes,[4] and later within the series.[5]
    The team's greatest strength comes from Barbara's connections to other heroes across the DC Universe from her tenure as Batgirl, ranging from Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to specialized rosters adapted to best suit her present mission. After Black Canary's departure, Huntress remains as the staple member and field leader, alongside new "core members." Despite the all-female central roster, male allies of Barbara such as Nightwing, Wildcat, Savant, and Creote frequently assist missions.
    reading order..
    * Showcase 96 #3 (Mar 1996)
    * Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 (1996)***Not In This Pack Below***
    * Birds of Prey: Manhunt #1-4 (Sep-Dec 1996)
    * Birds of Prey: Revolution #1 (1997)
    * Birds of Prey: Wolves #1 (Oct 1997)
    * Birds of Prey: Batgirl #1 (Feb 1998)
    * Birds of Prey: The Ravens #1 (Jun 1998)
    * Birds of Prey (monthly series, Jan 1999 - ongoing)
    * Birds of Prey: Secret Files and Origins 2003 (Aug 2003)

one shots and limited series:

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/132986021/One_Shots_And_Miniseries.part1.rar
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/132987912/One_Shots_And_Miniseries.part2.rar

01-13
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/132929617/001-013.rar
    Last edited by NAKHI the SOLORIAN; 07-28-2008 at 12:01 AM.

14-23
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/132934395/014-023.rar

24-36
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/132943676/024-036.rar