Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III

Original Nastukao Bucellito 136's Avatar

i voted f for fuck
    i don't like his shit

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

3 Peat (prod. Maestro)
    BEAT: One of more successful synth-anthem beats that are in now. 4.5/5
    LYRICS: They even aren't so bad, he's capable of much worse. Has some witty stuff in it. Too bad flow ruined it. 3.5/5
    4/5

Mr. Carter (feat. Jay-Z, prod. Andrews Correa & Infamous)BEAT: Excellent, this one is a classic. Perfect synth background and vocal sample. 5/5
    LYRICS: Superb verse by Jigga and satisfying Wayne's lyrics... again fucked up by disgusting flow. 4/5.
    4.5/5

A Milli (prod. Bangladesh)
    BEAT: Now that's some weak stuff. Uninspired copy of "Touch It" with an annoying chant above it. Shit. 2/5
    LYRICS: Some weak shit too. He freestyled it? Obvious... non-conceptual, non-exceptional. Flow a bit better than first two songs, but again quite toilet. 2/5
    2/5

Got Money (feat. T-Pain, prod. Play-N-Skillz & T-Pain)BEAT: Good beat we got here. Nice Southern thug synth shit, quality stuff. 4/5.
    LYRICS: So here we go again: toilet flow. Neither T-Pain style vocoding can't help it. Brainless lyrics, really shit. Plus "Umbrella" interpolation... wtf? 2/5
    3/5

Comfortable
    (feat. Babyface, prod. Kanye West)
    BEAT: Excellent smooth beat, Kanye knows his shit. Too bad it ended in Weezy hands, he shoulda give it to some smooth lyricist. 5/5
    LYRICS: Tot he left, to the left... a rapper giving props to Beyonce, again wtf. He ain't rapped too much, so he left better impression than on last two songs - and he had a nice flow, unbelievable. 3/5
    4/5

Dr. Carter
    (prod. Swizz Beatz)
    BEAT: Who'd ever say Swizzie can make a dope jazzy beat? 5/5
    LYRICS: Cool shit, dope concept (hospital for rappers): Can't front on this song, except that he's at times again on that toilet flow... But I'll forgive it this time. 5/5
    5/5

Phone Home
    (prod. Cool & Dre)
    BEAT: A nice spacey beat, reminded me of "Halloween" somehow. 4/5
    LYRICS: Nah, Weezy ain't best to take that alien personality. 3/5
    3.5/5

Tie My Hands
    (feat. & prod. Robin Thicke)
    BEAT: Awesome somber beat. Really excellent stuff. 5/5
    LYRICS: Not the best song to touch Katrina subject. But it's done almost perfectly, at times it gets really heartfelt and personal. Even he didn't use shit flow too much. 4.5/5
    4.75/5

Mrs. Officer
    (feat. Bobby Valentino, prod. Deezle)
    BEAT: Similar in concept to "Tie My Hands", but not nearly that good. 3.5/5
    LYRICS: That's some funny stuff... "All she wanted to do was fuck the police", "I asked what's your number, she said 911". I don't know, I gotta give it 5/5
    4.25/5

Let the Beat Build (prod. Kanye West)
    BEAT: Kanye disappointed me here. Some amateurish, dated stuff, like he just gave him a unsuccessful beat he couldn't sell since 2002... 3/5
    LYRICS: ... and then Weezy freestyled over it. Sounds like a mixtape freestyle, for real. A nice one, but still not album-worthy. 3/5
    3/5

Shoot Me Down (feat. & prod. D. Smith)
    BEAT: Dark militant stuff, I like it mucho. 5/5
    LYRICS: "I'm drinking hot tea, bitch!" Actually quite nice money stuff, plus he rapped it well. Dope chorus. 4.5/5
    4.75/5

Lollipop (feat. Static Major, prod. Jim Jonsin & Deezle)
    BEAT: Okay... sounds like an amalgam of "Laffy Taffy" and "Sensual Seduction". Kinda weak still. 2.5/5
    LYRICS: Huuh. 1.5/5
    2/5

La La (feat. Brisco & Busta Rhymes, prod. David Banner)
    BEAT: Nah. Just nah. Was it supposed to be a joke? 1.5/5
    LYRICS: Uninspired stuff. Weezy and Brisco came basically lame. Busta saved it lyrically... but he simply didn't fit on a beat so wack. Sounded like he was radio freestylin'. 3/5
    2.25/5

Playing With Fire (feat. Betty Wright, prod. StreetRunner)
    BEAT: Hm... there been much better dramatic beats on the album. This one sounds somewhat lame. 3/5
    LYRICS: Nothing special. Average bragging, pussy and "my hood is baaaaad". Freestyle shit flow 3/5
    3/5

You Ain't Got Nuthin' (feat. Fabolous & Juelz Santana, prod. Alchemist)
    BEAT: Whoa, this one sounds cheap. 2.5/5
    LYRICS: Yawn. Again nothing special lyrically. Mixtape quality. No rapper stood out. 2.5/5.
    2.5/5

Don'tGetIt (prod. Rodnae & Mousa)
    BEAT: That Nina Simone sample could be used for much better beat. This one is just OK. 3.5/5
    LYRICS: Nice introspective shit (although it's sooo pale compared to Jay-Z on Gangster). Best part of the song is definitely the outro. 4.5/5
    4/5

TOTAL: 57/80, which makes 3.5/5

FINAL IMPRESSION
    This is, basically, just a big-budget mixtape branded as album. There ain't no real concept or point in it. It has its share of good and wack joints, a bit more good than wack. Plus it has mostly good production - but also some throwaway, like a real mixtape.

But I definitely don't see how can it be branded as such a masterpiece as Rolling Stone was writing. It is good album (I voted B for it), but not a rap classic in any case. It is Weezy's tour de force, as he's now obviously on top of his game, but quality-wise it's not even his best album (title goes to Tha Carter II).
    Last edited by Edgar Erebus; 06-15-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

https://www.youtube.com/xiliesfwnesofficial

^^

Quote Originally Posted by hide1998 View Post
    The 2 disc deluxe is the version you should all be listening to.
    Second disc is just the old "The Leak" mixtape, when Tha Carter II got first leaked.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

PRODIGAL SUN

i thought his verse on "you aint got nuthin" was crazy..especially the end. Even better thans FABS

And please please please listen to the last verse on "playin with fire"...i thought that was fuckin hectic...specially the part about the cleaver and the 'he saw the devil in my features' part

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    ^^

Second disc is just the old "The Leak" mixtape, when Tha Carter III got first leaked.

I think everyone is aware of that. But the point is it's 5 tight additional songs at only a slightly higher price than the one without it.

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

This is the Wayne album for nerds and MF Doom fans. It sucks.

that Im Me track from the leak should be on the album, its hotter than any track on there except mr. carter.

Wayne's flow is fuckin terrible throughout the whole cd, most beats are on point though.
    overall C

anybody else find it funny that 70% of dudes verses have repeating words to fill lines yet he still calls himself the best rapper alive?
    Last edited by JamSix; 06-15-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Fresh 2 Deff

lmao ^^

I can give this dude credit for having an original style/swag, and banging out track after track like no one else.

However, I always say quality over quantity... and Wayne is lacking when it comes to quality. Like Check, I was a fan back in the 'Hot Boys' days. It's been a steady decline since then.

"..Used to be an Atheist until I learned my true potential.."

www.myspace.com/maxmunchmusic
    www.soundclick.com/maxmunch

he doesnt freestyle Slim T...A Milli obviously isnt freestyled because there is mad versions of it.

^^ He said it on that song, something like "I freestyle cos I don't have time to write"

Quote Originally Posted by Flowzz View Post
    anybody else find it funny that 70% of dudes verses have repeating words to fill lines yet he still calls himself the best rapper alive?
    Yup, I noticed that. I found that it bothered me more than his flow after third listen.

And official critics liked it and said it "unconventional flow".

he also says hes the greatest rapper alive...ur point? he does not freestyle shit...maybe he thinks of the whole verse before hand, like jay or biggie...but not completely off the top.

Truth is, the only person who truly knows if their lyrics that come off the top AT THE MOMENT THEY ARE SPAT is the person delivering them. Wayne doesn't write his lyrics down, like Biggie/Cam'ron/Jay-Z/etc, that much is fairly certain based on his style.

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

^^Well maybe he should start b/c he's on some wack bullshit half the time.