View Poll Results: RZA's "Digi Snacks" is a...

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Masterpiece

21 9.86%
  • 9 - Superior

34 15.96%
  • 8 - Banger

46 21.60%
  • 7 - Good

41 19.25%
  • 6 - Average

23 10.80%
  • 5 - Nothing Special

17 7.98%
  • 4 - Boring

10 4.69%
  • 3 - Weak

7 3.29%
  • 2 - Weaker

0 0%
  • 1 - Wack

14 6.57%
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RZA as Bobby Digital - Digi Snacks

Default RZA as Bobby Digital - Digi Snacks

01 - Digi Snacks
    02 - Long Time Coming
    03 - You Can't Stop Me Now
    04 - Straight Up The Block
    05 - Booby Trap
    06 - Try Ya Ya Ya
    07 - Good Night
    08 - No Regrets
    09 - Money Don't Own Me
    10 - Creep
    11 - Drama
    12 - Up Again
    13 - Put Your Guns Down
    14 - Love is Digi pt.II
    15 - O Day
    16 - Bonus Track

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

havent heard the whole thing...so far it sounds Average

If fuckin crack, but i'll have to hear the whole thing to judge, best wu since Pretty Tony (or fishscale) imo.
    and my opinion is kinda fact ya kno

Well, I got the whole thing, now I just need to listen to it.. Need to get some sleep first, will come back to this in 10-20 hours (:

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

i got the whole thing and i ripped most of the track last night until the official leakage not to ruin it for anyone but it's pretty dope but sometimes comes off as a dope electro-funk inspired album. i think rza broke his rules he said on the intro of forever. go back to disc 2 of forever to know what i'm talking about. still he has this progressive style of production but if your looking for some ghost dog-wu tang forever shit you'll be dissappointed. favorite songs so far are.....You Can't Stop Me, Straight Up The Block, Booby Trap, Drama, Creep and Don't Be Afraid (which is the bonus track)

Father of Brooklyn

from what i've heard so far its nothin special hes got like this boring ass flow on almost all songs....i was a big fan of BOAP because of tracks like Chi Kung, You'll Never Know, Grits and Fast Cars but i dont know whats goin on wit RZA these days...maybe i'll just have 2 wait for it to come out, buy it and let it grow like most of Rza's work....maybe a month after i buy it, it could possibly be my fav. album of the year so far but who knows
    Last edited by Main Street; 06-17-2008 at 07:35 PM.

^^ I've always thought that the intro to CD2 was strictly about the album "Wu-Tang Forever" and the direction they were going with that album. Forever is strictly about lyrics accompanied by minimalistic beats, but on previous albums they already tried some funk-shit and many of the members had already collaborated with R&B cats such as Jodeci, Babyface, SWV, etc..

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

'Section 9'

Have to hear the whole album.

So far I heard Long Time Coming and Creep...

And they're bangers.

"Creep creep creep,catch them while they sleep
    Empty a whole shell from your clip
    Knock them off their feet"

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShaolinAssassin View Post
    If fuckin crack, but i'll have to hear the whole thing to judge, best wu since Pretty Tony (or fishscale) imo.
    and my opinion is kinda fact ya kno
    its all opinions but I've heard this many times, and I just can't see whats so great bout Pretty Tony. to me that's a pretty average album, it packs some heat but it's coupled with garbage like "Ghostface", "Tooken Back", "Tush" and some just decent songs.. It's the weakest Ghost joint for me, Fishscale is a banger though.

It's a sad time to be a Wu-Tang fan. It's hard to see musicians you grew up admiring make such pathetically bad business moves. You can see them from a mile away, but somehow the 'entrepreneurs' that make up the Clan don't have that foresight. After torpedoing what was likely their last shot at relevance in the modern Hip-Hop world by disowning 8 Diagrams and going on a RZA-less tour (in support of... what, exactly?) Raekwon stirred up more controversy by stating that he would head the creation of a Wu-Tang album that would bring back the rawness of their early records. Six months later and the dwindling Wu-Tang fanbase got one song. Just one. Ghostface's collaboration with MF Doom has entered the land occupied by Cuban Linx 2, a magical place full of something known as bullshit. The exaggerated self-importance of the Wu-Tang Clan is depressing and pathetic in its disconnect with reality. So how does Robert Diggs, shunned by his Clansmen and seemingly alone in his new way forward, cope? Easy, he just makes another Bobby Digital album.

It's easy to see why. After the debacle of the last Clan album and the misfire that was 2003's Birth of a Prince, RZA's future in Hip-Hop seems bleak. If he's going to go out, it seems, the Abbott is going to make sure he enjoys it. From the outset Digi Snacks is an exaggerated take on what RZA and Wu-Tang brought to Hip-Hop in the 90's. The cover, a half-finished comic book representation of the B-boy himself on a Japan-themed throne surrounded by half-naked women (presumably ninja women) of all colours gives away the joke. Digi Snacks doesn't want to make any overt statements, it's a comic book adaptation of Bobby Digital In Stereo, a series of self-contained songs that complement the soundtrack style of Bobby's 1998 debut. As such, the record is disjointed and lacks the sequencing so common in Hip-Hop records (hint: strongest songs and singles at the start, reflective/struggle songs at the end and the weakest tracks padding out the middle).

The songs, then, should be judged on their own merits rather than their placement in a haphazardly laid out album, if you can call it that. Long Time Coming is a passable effort that never quite peaks. Money Don't Own Me is an album highlight, mixing a vocal sample with RZA's bluesier recent output, highlighting his strength in creating strong grooves. Digi Snacks is too scattershot and borderline-strange to remain consistent and Straight Up The Block exemplifies RZA's lack of restraint and occasional awful ideas. It's what RZA's fans have come to expect and if they can overcome the deficiencies of Digi Snacks (ie. it's not really an album) they'll enjoy it immensely. If not.. well, there's always Cuban Linx II. One day.
    link

I kind of half-assed it by the end because I lost all inspiration. Oh well
    Last edited by Dr Zayus; 07-11-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zayus View Post
    Placeholder post until I bother to write a review

I think RZA's really onto something with this 'new' group of musicians/artists he's got around him - George Clinton, Shavo Odajian, Black Knights/Northstar, B9 & Rev. Burke are all fucking talented. Dexter Wiggles is hit and miss but he does his thing on this album.
    i think he is and i think you who you surround yourself with and i think with rza learning music theory he surrounded himself with music minded people and i think if he could bring this full circle with more and stronger music than he has in the past which i thought was brilliant but i love he's not sampling heavy anymore and is more or less making stuff, melodies everything from scratch is something that has ground from 8 diagrams to the digi snax stuff i think is what progresive hip hop is about moving forward and not rehashing some of the same stuff he's been doing for 15+ years and i've listen to this all the way through since last night and i'm still feel like he made a hip hop funk album that bangs hard with funkdified melodies that still sounds like organic hip hop the only other producer comparable to rza is questlove because the way they reinvent themeslves time after time not every rza album sounds alike and doesn't sound the same

FRESH FISH

Ok I'm gonna give a full review. Rza really did a good job with this. Just as he said, he was having FUN making this album. Some people might bitch bc of certain sounds but overall it comes off well.

Digi Snax Intro: Nice intro, with a short rhyme over a good beat

Long Time Coming: Really like this song. Rza has the voice double going on this. 2nd verse is one I always loved it's from a 'freestyle" over the Rocky song. Think it's on the WAR DVD. All verses are really nice Rza not Bobby verses.

You Can't Stop Me: We've all heard it. I like it, think Deck's verse is fine.

Str8 Up the Block: Ha this is just weird bc when you listen to the album it works for some reason. Is this a little jab at Cap though? Talking about the big dick and then saying in Maryland he bought the cab stand...ha

Booby Trap: I LOVE this beat. If this is one the Clan rejected, well man they are dumb. Wiggles on the chorus doesn't add or subtract from the song. Rza's flow is really smooth

Try Ya Ya: Average slow track. ok verse, I think it's Monk on the second but I could be wrong, I never paid attention to the Black Knights

Good Night: Really nice chill song

No Regrets: Another track that seems to be getting some hate. It's an average track

Money Don't Own Me: There are a lot of tracks that are slow but they sound good. Really like this one. Smooth

Creep: Man, the only bad thing about this song is that it makes you think how it would sound with the Clan on it. The Knights have average acceptable verses, Rza's back to gutter lyrics, but this is a beat that should be reserved for the heavy hitters

Drama: We've all heard this one, people bitch it's Gza's song, but if he wants to up the Gza by redoing a song it's not a crime.

Up Again: Love the intro piano on this. Has high pitched piano loop on most of it with some addition guitars in the background and some addition pianos come in. Really good track

Put Your Guns Down: I forgot the name of the original song and artist sampled and am too lazy too look, but it was used by Royce on his song Life. Rza uses it well, great track, great verses

Love Is Digi 2: This one just grows on me everytime. Would have been better with someone besides Thea. Where's Tekitha

O Day: Nice lyrics, beat is eh. It does have a lot of subtle changes and a big change at the end, but overall not impressive

Dont Be Afraid: This track is just great, the beat, the guitars at the end, the rhymes.

This is a high quality album. Period. It's not a straight banger, it's slower, with atmosphere. It has some elements of some things you wouldn't expect on a Wu album, but Rza makes it work. Even straight up the block makes sense somehow as part of the whole. Just about every track is good, with really good music. Rza really answered his critics with this one. Also there seems to be more Rza than Bobby. Fans stuck on grimey old shit might not like it but they really hate on everything else anyway.

This may make Rae really look like the idiot he is if CL2 doesn't hold up.
    Last edited by Dissonance; 06-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS View Post
    i think he is and i think you who you surround yourself with and i think with rza learning music theory he surrounded himself with music minded people and i think if he could bring this full circle with more and stronger music than he has in the past which i thought was brilliant but i love he's not sampling heavy anymore and is more or less making stuff, melodies everything from scratch is something that has ground from 8 diagrams to the digi snax stuff i think is what progresive hip hop is about moving forward and not rehashing some of the same stuff he's been doing for 15+ years and i've listen to this all the way through since last night and i'm still feel like he made a hip hop funk album that bangs hard with funkdified melodies that still sounds like organic hip hop the only other producer comparable to rza is questlove because the way they reinvent themeslves time after time not every rza album sounds alike and doesn't sound the same
    D: longest sentence ever
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

you should have waited til it drops to makes this thread

Veteran Member

Didnt they already have reviews for BTSG when it leaked as well? OH WELL....not like he's posting the tracks, anyways....

ANY LUCK ON THE EXTRAS? I realllly wanna hear I-Scream & Wolf