View Poll Results: How would you rate 8 Diagrams?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Masterpiece

24 12.31%
  • 9 - Superior

39 20.00%
  • 8 - Banger

45 23.08%
  • 7 - Good

48 24.62%
  • 6 - Average

23 11.79%
  • 5 - Barely decent

5 2.56%
  • 4 - Boring

5 2.56%
  • 3 - Weak

4 2.05%
  • 2 - Weaker

0 0%
  • 1 - Wack

2 1.03%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Crusadah View Post
    If it werent for some wack hooks (wolves, Starter, Heat Gently weeps) and some pretty uninspired verses. Thos album could have been a classic! As it is it's a 9/10 for me. Great album that could have been classic. I do kinda see where Rae and Ghost are coming from on the live instruments though. Windmill is an incredible track! However, it would be even better if that bassline wasn't so distorted sounding.
    agree with what you mention plus i feel like sunlight didn't fit but it did bridge the album nicely though so yeah 9/10

favorite songs:

Campfire
    Take It Back
    Rushing Elephants
    Unpreditctable
    Weak Spot
    Last edited by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS; 07-07-2008 at 01:57 AM.

D-Infinite

On 8 Diagrams, i LOVE Campfire, Take It Back, Rushing Elephants, Wolves, Gun Will Go, Weak Spot, Windmill. All Wu Bangers.

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Nobody loves Sunlight...??!?! Damn guyz, that shyt is crazy! I'm really feelin it.........
    Beat is awesome, and lyrics r really great for album standards...

Peace.................
    -suuuuuuuuuu///

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

the thing that killed this album was the lack of cohesion and communication between the generals
    these songs make great-okay stand alone singles
    but put together make a weird album
    Some of them however were straight shit sandwiches
    They all should have stepped up to swing their swords much harder than this after a 6 year hiatus...

'Section 9'

The things that don't belong on this album -

George Clinton on Tar Pit

Tupperware

Dexter Wiggles

Ghost's Absence on the tribute

Ghots's overall absence

The things that fit perfectly -

Erykah Badu

Sunny Valentine (at least on Gun Will Go)

Gun Will Go

Energy that shifts in colors

Sunlight

Meth's charisma

Pinpoint of light track acupuncture (Thanks B-Rock)
    Last edited by Ritter; 07-11-2008 at 04:50 PM.

^^ don't forget criticizing producers until they joints are right then acupuncture the track with pinpoints of light.

'Section 9'

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    ^^ don't forget criticizing producers until they joints are right then acupuncture the track with pinpoints of light.
    Thanks, edited the post.

just giving my quick two cents on this album, before i actually give a full review on it. 8 Diagrams was extremely hard for me to listen to when i first got it, and now that i've had it for some time, i have days where i can listen to it in its entirety, and other days when i cant stand certain tracks.

IMO: bringing Steve Rifkind in to handle this project wasn't a bad idea, but I personally believe that he talked the whole clan into making 8 diagrams what it is. RZA can produce some sick beats when he wants to, but I believe he wanted to expand his talent to let the industry know: "hey, i CAN make those kinda beats too!!!" RZA has nothing to prove really, since he's already an established producer. I still contemplate if 8 Diagrams is a mockery to the current trend of hip hop, because it sure sounds like it...on the flipside, the sound on this album was probably done to attract more fans to the Wu, so that's what i think of this album...definately long overdue, since WTF was the last time they had a solid album as a group.

honestly, i would like to cop a remix version of this album with Muggs on the production. He killed it on Grandmasters, so i know he would murder 8 Diagrams if RZA gave him the green light to remix the album.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    [COLOR=white][I]

FYI: this is one of two album covers for this album...i personally think this cover sux, so i bought the album with the other cover, which doesn't feature the crew members on it.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

01. Campfire
    Ok, so the Wu-Tang Clan are back with their long overdue album. 7 Years people, so we have a Kung-Fu intro, singing, then the beat drops. Method Man is first at bat and he comes cool, but he has some weak lines here and there "Timberland & Timberlake", after that Ghostface Killah comes in and just smashes this joint completely, his absence really hurts this album, and last but not least we have Cappadonna, I wasn't really feeling this verse at all, he couldve came better on a beat like this. The Beat was real nice I might add, not what I was expecting for a clan album but good. 3.5/5
    02. Take It Back
    Ok, this joint is smooth-hard hitter right here, Beat drops and Raekwon just goes in and murks the beat, nothing more to ask for he proves he still is a heavyweight on the mic. Next up is Inspectah Deck and he rips it aswell, the hook is simple but just right for this type of track and after that Ghostface just goes in again, my favorite line is "We Like Rebelled Niggaz Powered Up Wilding In The Streets Of Nigeria" he easily took it with that line, and next up is what we've all been waiting for, you have U-God who just dropped one of the weakest Wu releases of all time (Mr. Xcitement) we have to hope he doesn't come weak, but when he comes in he just rips this shit with no problem, he shuts all his critics up and tears this beat to shreds. This without a doubt is one of the high points of the album. 5/5
    03. Get Them Out Ya Way Pa
    When I first heard this joint I was like Wtf? But Meth comes in and spits some Ill dartz and they are hard without a doubt, the hook is just right nothing too special here, then U-God goes in, I must say I'm really feeling his verse on here very quotable, he's just flowing spitting ill dartz, he comes off flawless on this joint. I don't like how Masta Killa comes in with all those sound effects, but nevertheless he still delivers on his part and doesn't kill the flow of the track. 4.5/5
    04. Rushing Elephants
    Ok, this joint right here, you can tell this is going to be a banger, and Raekwon just takes the torch and goes in with it, Lyrics are on point, I really don't know why ya'll hatin on him, when he's on the majority of your favorite tracks, I must admit Gza is aight on here, I'm not really excited about his verse, I was more like Ok, next verse, and Rza when I first this joint sounded so wack, but as I started to listen it still sound kind of shakey but aiight, he had an average verse on this joint, Masta Killa saves the track and spits, but it sounds like something I've heard before, it's all good, still a banger, nothing more nothing less. 4/5
    05. Unpredictable (ft. Dexter Wiggles)
    This is some straight up Rock N Roll shit, sounds real wack, This was supposed to be on Cuban Linx 2??? SMH I'm glad Raekwon used his brain on this joint, I understand most cats on here are white fanboys so ya'll might feel this shit. I'm not, Inspectah Deck with the re-used verse (See Get Ya weight Up), I really don't like that, then you have Dexter Wiggles...wack on this joint, Rza's verse was aiight, this track is skippable in many ways. 3/5
    06. The Heart Gently Weeps (ft. Erykah Badu)
    Wtf, is this shit? Do we really need to hear Wu-Tang Redo a beatles track? Erykah Badu, didn't sound right as I thought she would on this joint, so I'm already kinda lost, Raekwon is my nigga but he stole Gza's style on this one (Sounds Real Bored on the Mic). I wasn't really paying attention to his verse at all, Ghostface delivers a classic tale about a nigga actin up at the market, Method Man really sounds outta place on this joint, by this time I'm already walking up to hit skip on the stereo. 3.5/5
    07. Wolves (ft. George Clinton)
    I'm not even gonna lie, when I first heard this shit, I hit skip, but I listened to it and U-God goes in and rips this track "Sharkskin Armor"' is my favorite line on here, George Clinton is talking his usual shit, Method Man comes in with a good verse, and George Clinton comes in talking bullshit, but I'm not really feeling the beat switch up or the way Masta Killa starts off his verse, he ends it off cool, but this is still some average material. 3.5/5
    08. Gun Will Go (ft. Sunny Valentine)
    Yeah, I slept on this track, this is some smooth criminal shit, and RAEKWON kills this shit again, whole verse is quotable and I'm feeling the hook on this joint, he does a good job (Sunny Valentine) Method Man ripped this shit aswell, he should've came this hard on 4:21 on some real, Masta Killa comes in accompanied by another beat switch up, but this times it's right and he goes in, I love how he starts his verse off during the switch up, this was a winning track right here, and Sunny goes in aswell LOL. 5/5
    09. Sunlight
    What can I say about this track, just average material could've been left off the album, Why does Rza get another Solo track? He flows better than he did on some other tracks I can give him credit for that, this beat is boring and slow awell. 3.5/5
    10. Stick Me For My Riches (ft. Gerald Alston)
    The beat is cool, but TOO much singing on this track, the verses haven't even dropped and I'm ready to turn this shit off. Anyways Method Man rips this shit as usual, I'm really not feeling the hook on this joint either, 2nd verse? I didn't even know that was Deck at first, he came hard on this joint I must say though, his voice was fucked up though, Rza on this joint flowing, he sounds cool until "It's a cold cold world ........" Then he comes back in and rips it, Gza comes hard on this joint, but too much singing on here and Gza tryna sing? NO. 3.5/5
    11. Starter (ft. Sunny Valentine)
    The beat on this track is hot, but wtf is all this singing, I can see this is as a video where this is based on a Womens Basketball league Streetlife is a coach for one team, U-God is the other coach, Gza is the commentator, Deck is a referee, Cappadonna a Mascot, anyways Streetlife kills this shit with his calm flow, but WTF is Gza doing on here, he sounds so out of place, if I was a female I would STOP tricking after I heard his verse, Deck comes nice on this joint, and U-God spits some Mr.Xcitement shit on here "All my independent women time to let ya hair down" LOL. The singing is aiight, beat is on point, but a Gza replacement would've been nice, WTF is a kung Fu sample doing on here? I'll give this a 4 on a good day. But 8/10 times I'm skipping this track. 3.5/5
    12. Windmill
    The Beat on this track is right, RAEKWON kills this shit again, flawless with the lyrics on here, he did his thing, Gza came correct on this joint aswell, I was actually into his verse, had some nice dartz, Masta Killa rips this shit to shreds aswell, this is going good, Inspectah Deck went in on here flow and lyrically, I was definitely feeling his verse, then Method Man comes in, I wasn't expecting him at all but he makes a statement on here, then Cappadonna comes in and just kills the momentum, verse was shitty, could've been left of for sure, besides that, a great track. 4.5/5

13. Weak Spot
    Yo This is my shit right here, I first heard the strings I'm like oh shit, Rza killed this track i must say, he's spitting some ill shit and I'm definitely think 5 star immediately, RAEKWON just comes in and takes over this track, "running through the city like you batman, still you so pussy like catwoman" LOL killed that shit man, Gza couldn't even follow up to that, he still came correct though, but after the Raekwon verse you still like damn. Gza came right though, Beat is on point aswell. 5/5
    14. Life Changes
    This track should've been better, beat is aiight, NO GHOSTFACE, that's already 1 point off the track, Each clan member sheds their feelings on the track, but Rza's verse sounds weak, then all this shit going on at the end of the track just kills it for me, I already hit skip. No Disrespcect. R.I.P. O.D.B. Raekwon has the best verse "You was the chess piece on the board that made us look true" ill shit... 3.5/5

Beats - 4/5
    Lyrics - 4/5
    Overall - 4/5

This one was long overdue, the beats sound.....so different, a new RZA, he experimenting on this joint mad crazy, some beats came out on point, some are just average, others doo doo. Lyrics are pretty solid, although I disappointed by Rza and Gza other members came through, Method Man, U-God and Raekwon. Cappadonna was really no help on this album, could've been left off (No Disrespect.) I know RZA was trying to experiment but not with this joint, we didn't wait 7 years for this one, EVERYONE knows Wu-Tang can come better than this, I'm sad to see niggas lower their standards on this site, I know some cats really feel it but overall it could've been better, It is some good music on here, but not what i was expecting. No Ghostface really hurt this album too, he killed every verse he did, how could he not be on here? ****Overall 3.5/5****
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 02-06-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

^^ C'mon man, Sunlight's beat is not so wack! Tho' I agree on mostly u said, I think Sunlight deserves better mark, specially if u compare it to other tracks! U can't say that Sunlight deserves the same mark as shyty Starter which only has a nice beat, and even it is not something special! But anyway, very nice review man!

Peace........

LOL aight, but that shit is too slow. I'll add .5 to it. and Thanks.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

'Section 9'

I somewhat agree to the review, in fact mostly.

But I'd give the album 4.5/5, sorry. Don't know what other flaw except Starter could knock it more than that.

Well, In my review, there are 6 tracks above 3.5/5, while there are 8 track that are 3.5/5 or 3/5, if it was the other way around I'd give it a 4, or if it was 7 and 7. This album could receive a 4/5 I've been debating, but idk.

Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 07-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.